F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 HELP with Parts needed for repair!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:12 PM
SoFlaJCWGuy
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HELP with Parts needed for repair!

Reversed out of a parking space buuut din't reverse far enough before engaging the turn and driving right the bleep over the concrete division

Any idea what parts I might end up needing to get the front end working as it should?? Without having yet taken off the wheel (I know, still very preliminary) I don't see any warping/ bending of the strut itself. When driving the car however, there is a worrying clunking noise happening any time the wheel rides over the slightest uneven point of pavement.

Any help/ recommendations are appreciated!

Also found this online.. Not too sure if anything beyond what I highlighted would be needed??

Old 10-18-2017, 11:57 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by SoFlaJCWGuy
Reversed out of a parking space buuut din't reverse far enough before engaging the turn and driving right the bleep over the concrete division

Any idea what parts I might end up needing to get the front end working as it should?? Without having yet taken off the wheel (I know, still very preliminary) I don't see any warping/ bending of the strut itself. When driving the car however, there is a worrying clunking noise happening any time the wheel rides over the slightest uneven point of pavement.

Any help/ recommendations are appreciated!

Also found this online.. Not too sure if anything beyond what I highlighted would be needed??

You obviously broke the strut mount/bearing. Thats the clunk.
You did however bottom the strut enough to transfer the energy to the mount.

Order parts 1 through 6, replace and have an alignment done.
The alignment will reveal anything else bent.

Don't just throw on parts without seeing the alignment.
Hopefully the aluminum mount was sacrificial enough to save the other components.

The following users liked this post:
SoFlaJCWGuy (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 01:33 PM
SoFlaJCWGuy
1st Gear
Thank you for the heads up! After closer inspection I don't see any deformation in the actual strut tower, which is what I was truly hoping to avoid beyond the cosmetic stuff such as damage to the bonnet.

I'll be ordering said parts (caps I'll reuse) today and until then plan to NOT drive the car.

I am curious if there are any strut bars that would be worth purchasing since now would be a good time to do this. From what I've read so far there does not seem to be much to gain from one. Is there another side to this?

Old 10-18-2017, 06:11 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I have the NM strut bar. Can't tell you if it really makes any difference because in addition to that and the NM RSB I have a roll cage that pretty much ties everything together. No noticeable chassis flex under any conditions so far. The bar dresses up the engine compartment though.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:12 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by SoFlaJCWGuy
Thank you for the heads up! After closer inspection I don't see any deformation in the actual strut tower, which is what I was truly hoping to avoid beyond the cosmetic stuff such as damage to the bonnet.

I'll be ordering said parts (caps I'll reuse) today and until then plan to NOT drive the car.

I am curious if there are any strut bars that would be worth purchasing since now would be a good time to do this. From what I've read so far there does not seem to be much to gain from one. Is there another side to this?

Whats the status?

Also check the lower strut mount, apparently they will slide sown the steering knuckle.
By design to absorb impact. You'll know if the strut body has touch the front axle boot.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:41 AM
SoFlaJCWGuy
1st Gear
Forgot to get back in here and give an update on this.

As of now the car is back to proper driving condition. Shortly after receiving the new part I wasted no time in taking the car down to the garage I visit in order to have them install the part.

Fortunately there was no additional damage done to any other components. Must say, although I can't speak as knowledgeably on Mini, this car being my first, BMW has quite a track record (from my experience) of using some high quality steel in their manufacturing process.... especially when compared to many of the other brands.

The first image is of the old/ OEM support. Look closely and you can see the stress fracture/ point of impact.

The second image is of the new part. Currently installed and working w/o issue

Old 11-27-2017, 06:56 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I've done the drive over curb, concrete thing with zero damage beyond plastic bits, how fast could you have possibly been going to do that damage?

Old 11-28-2017, 10:22 AM
SoFlaJCWGuy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I've done the drive over curb, concrete thing with zero damage beyond plastic bits, how fast could you have possibly been going to do that damage?
lol, not very fast at all. I know it can appear to not be that major of a drop, and really it's not, but with the Bilsteins I have on the car I imagine that 'might' have played a factor as opposed to going over it with the OEM suspension.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yes, that's a newer design that is more BMW'ish for the Gen 3 MINIs The older MINI design is a stamped steel

design with a rubber bushing pressed bearing. You have the 184 version which is non EDC.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/31306884184/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172