F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Eventuri Intake Functional Hood Scoop Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 05:21 PM
ZiaMan24
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
So about 2 weeks ago I bit the bullet and purchased the black plastic version of this intake. Car is 2016 Clubman S F54 - K&N Intake, IC, DP. Remus Exhaust, RPM tune. Had the K&N intake on for more than 20k miles, and washed/replaced the filters about 3 times.

The K&N intake used to suck up air so fast, that the car would sometimes just like hiccup for a beat. But while accelerating it felt like there was no air restrictions, so the car was inhaling freely. When you mash the throttle, it would just keep on going and you could hear the swooshing of the air so clearly. Because of this placement though, it was sucking up hot air most of the time. In ambient temps of around 80F, the intake air temp is recording between 113F-126F. Peak power felt really good.

Compared to the K&N, this Eventuri intake feels very different. First of all, the filter is like only half the size of the K&N cone. This along with the longer path the air has to take from the front of the car to the turbo, adds just a little bit of lag. It almost feels like the car is sucking through a small straw. On the other hand though, it is pulling in fresh air all of the time for more consistent power. I haven't checked the air temps yet, but for sure it doesn't feel bogged down when sitting in traffic with the AC on. Can't really hear the wooshing sounds anymore at the driver's seat, but I think they have been moved up ahead to the hood scoop.

If I have to compare the butt dyno graphs - I would say that the K&N gives you higher peaks and the Eventuri gives you smoother line. I haven't had the stock intake box on in a while, but if anything, I feel as if this would be equal to that with the K&N drop in filter (which is what I used). Maybe it performs better because it also has the top section open on the ducts too. At least you get a sweet functional carbon fiber hood scoop.

The following users liked this post:
bratling (11-12-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 05:45 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by ZiaMan24
So about 2 weeks ago I bit the bullet and purchased the black plastic version of this intake. Car is 2016 Clubman S F54 - K&N Intake, IC, DP. Remus Exhaust, RPM tune. Had the K&N intake on for more than 20k miles, and washed/replaced the filters about 3 times.

The K&N intake used to suck up air so fast, that the car would sometimes just like hiccup for a beat. But while accelerating it felt like there was no air restrictions, so the car was inhaling freely. When you mash the throttle, it would just keep on going and you could hear the swooshing of the air so clearly. Because of this placement though, it was sucking up hot air most of the time. In ambient temps of around 80F, the intake air temp is recording between 113F-126F. Peak power felt really good.

Compared to the K&N, this Eventuri intake feels very different. First of all, the filter is like only half the size of the K&N cone. This along with the longer path the air has to take from the front of the car to the turbo, adds just a little bit of lag. It almost feels like the car is sucking through a small straw. On the other hand though, it is pulling in fresh air all of the time for more consistent power. I haven't checked the air temps yet, but for sure it doesn't feel bogged down when sitting in traffic with the AC on. Can't really hear the wooshing sounds anymore at the driver's seat, but I think they have been moved up ahead to the hood scoop.

If I have to compare the butt dyno graphs - I would say that the K&N gives you higher peaks and the Eventuri gives you smoother line. I haven't had the stock intake box on in a while, but if anything, I feel as if this would be equal to that with the K&N drop in filter (which is what I used). Maybe it performs better because it also has the top section open on the ducts too. At least you get a sweet functional carbon fiber hood scoop.
Good writeup. Interesting that you can't hear the turbo flutter much anymore. With my windows closed the sound of my straight piped exhaust pops overpowers the flutter sounds but if I close the flap in my exhaust so that it's routed through the muffler I can clearly hear the flutter. If my windows are open then I can hear the flutter fairly well even with the exhaust open. And if I'm outside the car you can really hear the flutter. Like I'll be at the dealership to pick up my car after service and I'll hear the flutter and know my car just pulled up.

Old 11-07-2019, 05:54 PM
ZiaMan24
2nd Gear
It's not that I don't hear the turbo flutter, I still hear that in the background.

What I don't hear anymore is that actual suction sound of the air going through the filter. It was intoxicating. Like a wet/dry vacuum cleaner hose stuck on upholstery.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:52 AM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
It's not that I don't hear the turbo flutter, I still hear that in the background.

What I don't hear anymore is that actual suction sound of the air going through the filter. It was intoxicating. Like a wet/dry vacuum cleaner hose stuck on upholstery.
Ah, I still get that too. But that might be due to the Forge intake hardpipe.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:26 AM
ZiaMan24
2nd Gear
I don't think so buddy...try removing all of the ducts and have the filter exposed under the hood, then maybe you'll get it, maybe. Like I said before, the K&N filter is much larger and has like twice the surface area of the Eventuri one. The airflow is in a different angle too. Switching from that after 2 years, trust me, you're not hearing the suction. That sound used to come thru 100% clearly all the time, no speeding necessary.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:50 AM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Whatever you say, buddy. Glad you know the sounds my car makes better than I do.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:24 AM
6FT6
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I still hear the vacuum sound as well but only when I switch to sport mode.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:32 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
"Like I said before, the K&N filter is much larger and has like twice the surface area of the Eventuri one."

Really? I had a NM and a AWE on mine prior to the Eventuri and both were a couple of inches shorter. Could it be that you heard the oil sucking into the intake that sounded louder?

Old 11-08-2019, 11:54 PM
Bimmerboy96
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the tune, intake, and exhaust how much hp are you making overall? I'm thinking about this same setup on my All4 S but wasn't sure of the gains.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:55 AM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
So who has replaced the filter? I can't get the screws out of the housing. They just spin in place.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:03 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
All of them?

They go into that little ring:

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-19-2019, 12:10 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
I tried 2 and when they kept spinning I stopped in the hopes I don't strip the threads on all of them. Also, the replacement filter I got from you guys is a tad large. This is the one I ordered.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:19 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Ok, let me check with them and see whats up,

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 12-19-2019 at 01:00 PM.
El-Grunto (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 02:31 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
They will get back to me on the screws issue. On the filter they updated the part # right before the release and its now the part number below. Call into our team and let them know you talked to me/problem and get it on return. Then you can get that new filter on order. Sorry for the issues. I am here for you.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-eventuri...e-151-flt~vnt/

Old 12-19-2019, 02:55 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Thanks! Eventuri actually got back to me. Turns out the screws don't come out. You just pull the whole thing out once the clamp is off. They think mine is stuck due to the gasket that goes between the filter and the housing. I'll just need to do a little bit of prying.

bratling (12-21-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 02:56 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Great, you beat me to it. ok, now we know.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:45 PM
6FT6
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I have the same issue with my replacement filter from ECS. Was about to change it only to realise it wasn't the same size.
Order no. 600-087-369 back in May
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-eventuri...-nd661-ftr~vn/

Old 12-20-2019, 05:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
I dont see it was returned, if you want to return it and get a new let our customer service team know.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:45 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I dont see it was returned, if you want to return it and get a new let our customer service team know.
Just did it a few minutes ago. The correct filter should ship out Monday.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:09 PM
ZiaMan24
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SFMCS
"Like I said before, the K&N filter is much larger and has like twice the surface area of the Eventuri one."

Really? I had a NM and a AWE on mine prior to the Eventuri and both were a couple of inches shorter. Could it be that you heard the oil sucking into the intake that sounded louder?
I think everyone is over-thinking this one now. The K&N filter was much larger and it was all open, and somewhat close to the driver's side, which is why the sound was so prominent. With the Eventuri, its obviously in the same spot, but the filter is about half the size, and the route the air takes is all closed up - the only opening really is at the front of the car, which is now where the suction sound can be heard from. So unless you are standing in front of the car, that intense suction sound is not as defined when sitting behind the wheel.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:12 PM
ZiaMan24
2nd Gear
I don't have official dyno results, but the "Mario P. Special" churns out about 270hp/300lbft.

So totally worth it

Old 06-26-2020, 06:24 PM
ZiaMan24
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by El-Grunto
Thanks! Eventuri actually got back to me. Turns out the screws don't come out. You just pull the whole thing out once the clamp is off. They think mine is stuck due to the gasket that goes between the filter and the housing. I'll just need to do a little bit of prying.
So I just have to take the clamp off, then pull the entire thing apart? It's time for me to replace the filter with my spare.

A couple months ago, I had a little bit of time on my hands, so I thought I would open it up and just take a look to see if there is any large debris that needed cleaning. I opened up the clamp, and ended up dropping the screw into the engine bay . I found a similar screw to put in for the time being, while I get an actual replacement. Never actually ended up looking inside the filter. This happened right before the quarantine stuff - and I just contacted Eventuri to see if they can get me the exact spec on that screw.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:24 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
So I just have to take the clamp off, then pull the entire thing apart? It's time for me to replace the filter with my spare.

A couple months ago, I had a little bit of time on my hands, so I thought I would open it up and just take a look to see if there is any large debris that needed cleaning. I opened up the clamp, and ended up dropping the screw into the engine bay . I found a similar screw to put in for the time being, while I get an actual replacement. Never actually ended up looking inside the filter. This happened right before the quarantine stuff - and I just contacted Eventuri to see if they can get me the exact spec on that screw.
Yup. Just pry it apart. I used a plastic pry tool but a screwdriver would work with a little caution.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:57 AM
Darbys2019MiniJCW
4th Gear
Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts
I wonder if you already have the AWE or K&N and only added the Eventuri Front Carbon Scoop and front air tract parts...if that combo with the much larger filters would add horsepower. You would definitely be getting more cold air before the AWE or K&N Filter system and it might actually keep out some of the engine heated air...??? Then I would work out a way to close off my AWE shield and it would become a closed system...

Old 06-14-2021, 03:28 PM
KCinLex
2nd Gear
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
Looks great & works same in plain black

Wanted to stretch my $$ so went with the black instead of carbon fiber, after corresponding with Eventuri who said little to no thermal differences between the two. Carbon fiber is fabulous, but if under the hood, I won't see it very often and hood scoop with both versions is carbon fiber.
It is always nice to be pleasantly surprised by how much better a product performs than expected. Engine sounds better too which is a bonus (deeper more aggressive but not obnoxious). Really still so surprised at how much of the lag it took away. I don't think I will need to do anything much else like change the intercooler, which was the next step if this didn't deal with it.
The build quality is extremely good. It does not look cheap like some plastics under the hood do. It is substantial and the matte black is dramatic.
Just wish I could figure out whether I should change the cold air intake on the Roadster too. There are several to choose from, but very few comparable reviews (actually have not found any comparing one to another).

Flat/matte black Eventuri cold air intake installed in Clubman S

Carbon fiber hood scoop looks fine with all the black trim.

The following 3 users liked this post by KCinLex:
bratling (06-18-2021), ECSTuning (06-16-2021), F56-JCDub (06-14-2021)

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Eventuri Intake Functional Hood Scoop Review