F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Prices paid for a New Cooper S or JCW

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 06:22 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
Prices paid for a New Cooper S or JCW

I am trying to see what the current deals people are getting on a new Mini F56.
Please post your prices paid on your new Mini Cooper S or JCW.

List the MSRP and the discounted amount paid. Do not include out the door prices because Taxes, license and fees are different depending on location.

Thanks in advance

Old 11-17-2018, 10:41 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by N0B0DY
I am trying to see what the current deals people are getting on a new Mini F56.
Please post your prices paid on your new Mini Cooper S or JCW.

List the MSRP and the discounted amount paid. Do not include out the door prices because Taxes, license and fees are different depending on location.

Thanks in advance

So if someone responds to this thread by saying they got $1,000 off of MSRP, maybe that's a great deal or maybe they left 2 more grand on the table. Or 3. Or even 4. Depends on the number of dealers competing for business in a given region, depends on time of year, depends on hidden incentives, depends.... Discounts and price paid can be confusing. Best way to understand MINI pricing is to understand the margin between MSRP and "invoice" which can be 6 ~ 8%. Edmunds has a good invoice calculator.Then load any national or regional or affiliation incentives, and assume there is some back end $ from MINI to the dealer which is based on everything from Customer Satisfaction to training benchmarks and a bunch of other generally unknowable stuff.

Most people find that using the "others paid" argument doesn't usually help negotiations much. Better to go in with your credit/financing situation well-sorted, clarity on any trade-in valuation, a clear understanding of the invoice and incentives, and a willingness to walk if the final deal offered doesn't feel right. If you offer dead invoice, less applicable incentives, leaving only back-end or hidden "trunk money" as the dealer's only profit, and you are negotiating near the last day of the month, and you send signals that you are ready to sign a deal today if they can get the numbers where you need them, you will quickly find the bottom price.

Larger question is: "What is a reasonable offer to make?" Answer is: Offer whatever you wish and give the dealer the opportunity to sell you a car and make a deal. NEVER worry about being fair to the dealer or making an insulting offer. The dealer's selling system is designed to extract the maximum profit from the buyer EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. The dealer is going to put a potential buyer through a sales system refined and designed to get all the money. The buyer is just trying, in a calm and polite fashion, to find the bottom.

The following users liked this post:
Sailorlite (11-26-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 08:08 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
I read the Art of a deal sticky. I am just trying to see what discounts people are getting since none of the dealers near me want to offer discounts, especially on a JCW build to order car.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:42 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by N0B0DY
I read the Art of a deal sticky. I am just trying to see what discounts people are getting since none of the dealers near me want to offer discounts, especially on a JCW build to order car.
Interesting. What part of the country? I guess here in SoCal we're so accustomed to having many dealers fighting for our business that we can't imagine no discounts -- especially considering the decreasing sales numbers for MINI. On the JCW MINIUSA special lease offer the dealer contribution is $1,175, which is dealer discounting.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:15 PM
easter
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i realize it super hard to find what you want on the lot but ive always been told that is where the deals are had. if a jcw or S has been on the lot for a while its so much easier to negotiate. both parties realize that getting that car off the lot would be an amazing thing.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:10 AM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Regarding JCW's you might want to check near new as in my area there are many traded in/available with under 10,000 miles and some are certified. You can save around $8k or more which isn't bad at all. Most dealers here won't budge much on new inventory prices.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:24 PM
Gavin Mazey
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im with ToyCar I picked up my 2015 Cooper S with 8k miles for $19k and the new window sticker price was $27.5K. Let someone else take the initial depreciation I say.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:56 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
I'm in the northeast mid Atlantic area.

I've been searching. I do worry why cars under a year old with very low mileage are on sale so soon. I'm not in a hurry. The other thing I see is almost all Minis for sale have leatherette seats. Even the ones ordered with the signature upholstery package. Can the JCW interior package still be ordered?

Old 11-24-2018, 07:26 PM
Ben
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by easter
i realize it super hard to find what you want on the lot but ive always been told that is where the deals are had. if a jcw or S has been on the lot for a while its so much easier to negotiate. both parties realize that getting that car off the lot would be an amazing thing.
I totally agree finding an “unloved” MINI on the lot will score you the best deal. In my most recent experience I had been “stalking” MINI’s for years. Carmax, local and regional dealers were all regular places I checked online.

Last October I found a new 2016 MCS configured exactly as I would order it; slicktop, 3 pedals and sports package. Only other options were cloth/leatherette seats and connect. The sticker was just over $29k. The dealer website advertised it at $18.9k. I called, and was told it’s a mistake (I doubted it), but they’d honor that price. Keep in mind they had 2018’s sitting next to this new 2016. I grabbed it and never looked back. I drove 200 miles to the dealer and they honored the price with great financing through BMW.

My point is, if you have patience and are thorough in your search efforts you may get lucky. I feel like this is the best car deal of my long life. I probably wouldn’t have bought my second MINI at $30k. I feel like this was meant to be.

Cast a wide net, you never know what you might find. Best of everything in your pursuit.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ben:
2017All4 (11-25-2018), peterpan101 (11-25-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 05:51 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't know what its like in the rest of the country, but it always seems like Mid Atlantic/DC Metro will discount the Countryman but they don't budge too much on the Cooper/S. MaybeI because the Countryman moves more volume and has higher MSRP so they can deal more? I think I read when they were released here that the margins on the F56/F55 are pretty slim even at MSRP.