F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Is my steering off, or am I just imagining things?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 12:40 PM
The_Dark_Passenger
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my steering off, or am I just imagining things?

Hello,

For the past few months, I've noticed that to keep my MINI tracking straight down the road, I have to have my steering wheels turned very slightly to the left. Otherwise, my MINI will start to drift to the right, kinda quicker than other cars I drive. I ignored it at first, but eventually I took my MINI into a reputable garage and had them check the alignment. They found my alignment was pretty much spot on, except for a tiny adjustment they made. After they made this adjustment, it seems that it does track a little bit straighter, however if I line up the MINI logo on the steering wheel to be completely straight, it still does start to track noticeably to the right after a couple of seconds, at which point I have to correct to the left. Again, if I keep the steering wheel slightly to the left, and I mean it's noticeably turned to the left, but just very slightly, it tracks straight without drifting right.

I've owned this MINI since it was brand new in 2015, and I just noticed this happening now. However, I'm not sure if this is something that is normal, and has always been happening, but I'm just noticing now. Or, is this something I need to have checked out? Also, my tires are getting a bit older, and kinda worn, so I will be getting new tires and brake pads very soon. Should I ask the dealer or garage I go to, to check this out?

Old 11-06-2018, 02:12 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Same.

I just got my alignment checked 2 weeks ago and it still pulls to the right ever so slightly. It has since day one, even before I lowered it

I blame the roads

Old 11-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Steering isn't a purely mechanical process like the old days when I first learned to drive. These cars have the mechanical bits and the steering system also has programming associated with it. I'd go to the dealer if under warranty or a highly qualified MINI capable indy shop for checking. My MINIs track straight, at least so far.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:17 AM
The_Dark_Passenger
1st Gear
I do remember hearing some people having issues with the steering wheel not self centering, and it turned out to be software related. Mine self centers out of corners, but I wonder if this maybe related?

Old 11-11-2018, 09:26 AM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I notice that mine tracks straight but is more sensitive to crowned roads than other vehicles I have owned.

Old 11-11-2018, 09:48 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
It is probably the road crown that is causing your car to drift to the right. Does it drift to the left when you drive on the other side of the road?

Old 11-12-2018, 03:20 PM
The_Dark_Passenger
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
It is probably the road crown that is causing your car to drift to the right. Does it drift to the left when you drive on the other side of the road?
It does only if the crown is severe. However, even when to the left on most roads, it drifts right when the wheel is completely straight. I'm actually going in to the dealer tomorrow to have them check it out, plus I got some new tires for them to install.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:39 PM
ZiaMan24
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I too feel like this is happening on my F54. Without rigorous experimentation, I feel as if it only happens when I am accelerating, even slightly. Coasting I think is straight, maybe.

Feel free to give it a try.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:08 AM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just had mine aligned during my last oil change and it felt noticeably better. However, the mechanic neglected to "center" the steering wheel, so now if I get the wheel straight up, I slowly merge right. Taking it back next week.