F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Lets talk MORE POWER

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:50 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Lets talk MORE POWER

The Mini is my daily driver, so I dont need GOBS of power, and to be honest, the stock HP/TQ is fine for my daily use, however, I do think Id like a little more power. Within the next month or so, I will be adding the Dinan Elite tune. Other than this, what are some other good alternatives to getting some decent extra power alongside the Dinan? Exclude a full exhaust, as I really do not like automatics (other than V8's) with an aftermarket exhaust, as they usually sound horrible.

I am deleting the muffler this weekend, but thats about as "moddified" as I'd like to get with the exhaust.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:57 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Dinan Sport or NM Engineering are inexpensive ways for nice extra kick. Elite is a bit more sophisticated but I'm not certain the value is there on a Justa -- but you do get better warranty peace of mind in addition to more power and, some report, better driving dynamics with the Elite.

Some claim intakes and IC upgrades help -- intakes do more to change the sound than they do to add usable extra power, and some intakes run the risk of sucking in under bonnet hot air which kind of defeats the purpose.. And IC's lower boosted air temp, increase air density, and, depending on how and where you drive and what sort of fuel you run, can make a difference, especially when it gets warm outside.

Tunes and tuning boxes are the most bang for your buck for sure.

How will your neighbors feel about that muffler delete?

The following users liked this post:
FunToMini (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
That elite will be plenty unless you want to go a full flashed ECU to get a few more hp gains. Other than that, you are looking at small HP gains with aftermarket parts.

- Exhausts which you mentioned might not be an option claim around 8-10hp increase depending on what you read
- Cold air intakes/Panel filters around 5ish HP increase

Again, these are all marketing numbers so who knows. Its always debatable.

Of course, adding stickers increase HP by double digits ........... . That's confirmed.

FunToMini (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie

Of course, adding stickers increase HP by double digits ........... . That's confirmed.
Confirmed

Old 03-01-2018, 09:05 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
The Elite on the Justa should be awesome. In sport mode you are going to be a torque beast. You won't need anymore power than Dinan. Try it first before committing funds to other add ons.

The following 2 users liked this post by Minnie.the.Moocher:
2017All4 (03-01-2018), FunToMini (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 09:07 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
This about what I figured, but wanted to hear it straight from those who have been dealing with Mini's for a while. I will just stick with the Dinan and some Type R stickers.

Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
That elite will be plenty unless you want to go a full flashed ECU to get a few more hp gains. Other than that, you are looking at small HP gains with aftermarket parts.

- Exhausts which you mentioned might not be an option claim around 8-10hp increase depending on what you read
- Cold air intakes/Panel filters around 5ish HP increase

Again, these are all marketing numbers so who knows. Its always debatable.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:13 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
My Viper is SUPER loud, and no one has complained, so Im sure it will be fine.

Originally Posted by 2017All4

How will your neighbors feel about that muffler delete?

Old 03-01-2018, 09:14 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
This is good to hear.

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
The Elite on the Justa should be awesome. In sport mode you are going to be a torque beast. You won't need anymore power than Dinan. Try it first before committing funds to other add ons.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:01 AM
nqr31467
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I had a 2014 Justa 6M with the BMS JB4 Beta and the Craven Speed CAI. Definitely had better throttle response and more torque off the line. I found it to lack at the higher end of the RPM range. It left me wanting more power so I traded her in on my JCW.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:20 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by FunToMini
Type R stickers

Old 03-01-2018, 10:53 AM
cyow5
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I really do not like automatics (other than V8's) with an aftermarket exhaust, as they usually sound horrible.

I am deleting the muffler this weekend
Well, I am not sure what you're expecting to happen but either you'll change your mind about hating autos with aftermarket exhausts or you'll spend another afternoon putting the muffler back on.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:03 AM
MQQN
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should look into a ByteTronik tune they tuned my wife's Justa and pulled a safe 33 whp and 33 wtqe out of her car and it pulls like a freight train! her final numbers on the dyno were 151 whp (stock 118) and 182 wtqe (stock 149) pretty impressive for a 3 cyl!

Old 03-01-2018, 11:30 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
I've heard videos of this being done, and its not too loud from what I can tell. I just want a little more sound. Nothing drastic on the auto.

Originally Posted by cyow5
Well, I am not sure what you're expecting to happen but either you'll change your mind about hating autos with aftermarket exhausts or you'll spend another afternoon putting the muffler back on.

This sounds about right in line with what the Dinan does. Those are good numbers.

Originally Posted by MQQN
You should look into a ByteTronik tune they tuned my wife's Justa and pulled a safe 33 whp and 33 wtqe out of her car and it pulls like a freight train! her final numbers on the dyno were 151 whp (stock 118) and 182 wtqe (stock 149) pretty impressive for a 3 cyl!

Old 03-01-2018, 11:37 AM
cyow5
2nd Gear
I've heard videos of this being done, and its not too loud from what I can tell. I just want a little more sound. Nothing drastic on the auto.

That's mostly due to the turbo acting as a muffler, but it is still going to be loud-ish. A video can sorta convey tone, but it cannot convey volume well at all. Cold start will also be much louder than hot start since a cold start retards the spark a bit more. An automatic won't change the engine sound at all, just slurs the shifts a little. If you don't like that on other cars, I can tell you this won't be any different. A short ram intake will give you more of what you are looking for, but, it sounds like you are handy enough that removing the muffler is a cheap "try it and see" situation.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:50 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Exactly, and totally understand this. But I'd still like to try it out. If I dont like, I will weld it right back on. Who knows, I might just love it. If that happens, I might even try removing the resonator. I know that will for sure be stupid loud.

That's mostly due to the turbo acting as a muffler, but it is still going to be loud-ish. A video can sorta convey tone, but it cannot convey volume well at all. Cold start will also be much louder than hot start since a cold start retards the spark a bit more. An automatic won't change the engine sound at all, just slurs the shifts a little. If you don't like that on other cars, I can tell you this won't be any different. A short ram intake will give you more of what you are looking for, but, it sounds like you are handy enough that removing the muffler is a cheap "try it and see" situation.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:57 AM
cyow5
2nd Gear
Exactly, and totally understand this. But I'd still like to try it out. If I dont like, I will weld it right back on. Who knows, I might just love it. If that happens, I might even try removing the resonator. I know that will for sure be stupid loud.
The resonator has less impact than the muffler, so pulling it out first may also give you that nudge you are looking for.

For reference, my wife's Sky Redline (2.0T GDI) has no muffler or resonator at all. Cold start was realllly loud, so she has a tune that tamed that and made it much more liveable. It really isn't as bad as one would expect, but I am still glad we have forgiving neighbors. Now, when she guns it, there is no denying the lack of mufflers - that thing will scream! She loves it, but I'd prefer a couple perforated core mufflers to bring it down just a notch.

FunToMini (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 12:13 PM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
I might just do both at first just for ***** and giggles, and then go from there.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:30 PM
Mini_Vinnie
I took the resonator out of mine and left the stock muffler

https://myredmini.com/milltek-catles...elete-midpipe/

Old 03-01-2018, 12:40 PM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Sounds good, Vinnie.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:55 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Sounds good, Vinnie.

Thanks buddy!

Old 03-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Joespeed
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too have been looking into extra power.. i think the next step is upgrading the intercooler..thats pricey tho..so it will most likely be my last

i have a full exhaust on my sport auto and love it.. snaps/crackles and pops just enough to turn heads and i get so many compliments on the sound.. may want to look into it.. full exhaust is also not cheap ...i can DM you some clips on IG if you have an acct lmk

Old 03-10-2018, 09:35 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Had the muffler deleted yesterday with a straight pipe and new exhaust tip installed. I have to say, it really sounds good. Even has a couple of pops once it gets into the higher RPM's when I put my foot into it. I will drive it this way for a couple of weeks and see if I might want to take the resonator out. If not, the muffler is for sure staying out, as I really like the sound.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:08 AM
RyanGreener
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Does everyone hear know if the stock exhaust is 304 Stainless Steel or 409 Stainless Steel? (magnet test)

Old 02-11-2019, 04:58 AM
ToolmanMini
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to chime in for future researchers about the muffler delete..... I traded in a Fiat Abarth for my Mini Cooper S. My Abarth made some SWEET noise. And it made my Mini sound like a sedate family car. I did the muffler delete to my Mini Cooper S F55 auto, and at least now I can hear the engine. It's still nowhere near as loud as my Abarth was, although I now get the snarling and popping when the engine is warmed up, sometimes at shift, and every time at rest if I rev it up and let go the pedal. No way is the muffler delete too loud. And here in Texas, you can't hear me over the lifted-trucks with 6" exhaust tips all around me anyway.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:28 PM
BaseModelBestModel
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM tuning! It’s been on my base model for 40k miles. I’m almost at 70k total and I’ve had zero issues. For the base, S and JCW it’s about +50hp/tq. Couldn’t be happier. It’s so smooth.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Lets talk MORE POWER