F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Flappy Paddles retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 04:23 PM
jobea
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by minicooperjp
1. Disconnect the battery

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...eel/1VnXueVA7R

The link above will provide the instructions along with images of what needs to be done to disconnect the battery.

2. Remove the airbag unit

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...eel/1VnXxBh6Yb

This one is where it can get a little annoying. The back of the steering wheel has 3 holes (which can be seen on the first picture of the link above. Make sure you have a shorter T25 since it becomes a little hard to push with the limited amount of space that we have.

* Very important: Airbag unit may only be set down with the airbag itself facing upwards.

3. Switch out steering wheel

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...eel/1VnXrBSlcV

This is the step where you can start to taste victory, once you replace the steering wheel, just go backwards to put everything together.

(All the wiring that is needed should already be present. The only thing that could be missing is the wiring that is present in the steering wheel, if so, I have provided the link to the part. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/32306864896/ )

4. Coding

This is the last step! Use E-sys and code these two

1) BDC_BODY -> PADDLES_VERBAULT (set to "aktiv" - default "nicht_aktiv")
2) EGS -> Sport T/M (set to "enabled" - default "disabled")

5. Drive!

If you still need help you're more than welcome to message me!
thanks for taking the time to share!

By by the way, is it possible to use app like BimmerCode to perform the coding? I was looking around for e-sys and couldn’t really find it. And with e-sys, I believe that I need to get a cable, which isn’t going to be an issue, just wondering if I could save the hassle that’s all.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:32 PM
pw1114
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jobea

thanks for taking the time to share!

By by the way, is it possible to use app like BimmerCode to perform the coding? I was looking around for e-sys and couldn’t really find it. And with e-sys, I believe that I need to get a cable, which isn’t going to be an issue, just wondering if I could save the hassle that’s all.
to activate paddles, u can use BimmerCode. I remember seeing it many months ago when I was poking around the app and deciding on whether or not I wanted to add paddles.

I don’t believe the module required for SAT is available in expert mode for Bimmercode, so I guess that’s still an esys thing only. Maybe they’ve added it since the app has been updated a few times since I last used it so long ago.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:52 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Hey Guys!

I really wanted this mod too and went ahead and went for it. Bough the JCW wheel off eBay for $257. Nothing extra was necessary, which was the best part

Hardest part was definitely removing the airbag, but once that was off everything went smoothly.

As for coding, the only coding that is necessary is:

This enables, 2TB transmission and the paddles.
(Final result on the left!)
Do you have a link to who you bought it from on ebay? That is a great price!!

Old 03-06-2018, 12:00 PM
boubi
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, very good price.
Mine was a little bit more expensive, even if it was the cheapest in line that day !!

Old 03-07-2018, 08:22 AM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
Stil trying to get the airbag unit off my steering wheel. I can unlock the bottom but the sides are a no go. I must be going at it at the wrong angle or something.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:59 PM
minicooperjp
2nd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought it from a junk yard in Puerto Rico, the link is:

http://stores.ebay.com/Super-Junker-...p2047675.l2563

@bluonyx, have you tried turning the steering wheel? That's what I had to do in order to have more room in the back

Old 03-08-2018, 05:18 PM
minicooperjp
2nd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Gotta ask.
can you just code EGS -> Sport T/M (set to "enabled" - default "disabled")
without paddles to get better shifts??
I am assuming that it is possible that's right, but I did not try it personally so I can't confirm

Old 03-09-2018, 04:41 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
I am assuming that it is possible that's right, but I did not try it personally so I can't confirm
You don't need paddles enabled or installed to get the benefits of changing coding to sport transmission.

The following users liked this post:
Imperial (03-27-2020)
Old 03-11-2018, 02:59 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by trentiles
You don't need paddles enabled or installed to get the benefits of changing coding to sport transmission.
I have sent Stephan an email on this and how to do on B-Code. Will post when I hear back. Two things he said, he can't figure out how to do the shift lights on the HUD in JCW mode and that some people have had problems when enabling starting the car without depressing the brake pedal, car won't start. I will probably avoid that one.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:09 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
To enable 2TB (sport transmission) and/or paddles, you need to go with a more advanced option such as eSys...

I had a JCW steering wheel with paddles retrofitted and had a guy remotely code it for me on eSys. He also enabled launch control.

It was an easy process and for $99, it was a no-brainer as eSys is not very friendly user...

Old 03-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Forcerecontrojan
2nd Gear
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
To enable 2TB (sport transmission) and/or paddles, you need to go with a more advanced option such as eSys...

I had a JCW steering wheel with paddles retrofitted and had a guy remotely code it for me on eSys. He also enabled launch control.

It was an easy process and for $99, it was a no-brainer as eSys is not very friendly user...
I was chasing down the notion it could be done with B-Code. Do you know if that too can enable the shift lights in the HUD alongside the Tach. I do not see it in B Code and Stephan had no idea what that was when asked. He did say the next version would support Sport Transmission coding but on the BMWs first.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:50 AM
jobea
1st Gear
I am just wondering if it would be worthy to go through the hassle, yeah sure driving experience would definitely change but mehhh, throwing away a couple of hundreds on a steering wheel which is almost similar to stock.. doesn't make sense. Someone who's done it please share if you regret on this?

Old 03-20-2018, 05:06 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jobea
I am just wondering if it would be worthy to go through the hassle, yeah sure driving experience would definitely change but mehhh, throwing away a couple of hundreds on a steering wheel which is almost similar to stock.. doesn't make sense. Someone who's done it please share if you regret on this?
It might be well worth it for some, but not for others. You can only answer that yourself. Lots might like to manually shift and using the paddles is much easier than using the shifter in my opinion.

If you never manually shift then it's probably not worth it to you.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:54 PM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
Just installed the wheel today with the dealers help and then coded the paddles with B-Code on my IPhone. I wasn't able to find the Sport Transmission code but that's ok. The paddles are working, WOOHOO.

Now that my new driving route will take me through a canyon daily, this was so worth it.

Flappy Paddles retrofit-yucyyo7h.jpg

Last edited by bluonyx; 03-30-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: bigger pic
The following 2 users liked this post by bluonyx:
ECSTuning (03-28-2019), Mini.Wrench (02-27-2021)
Old 05-14-2018, 12:13 PM
ciclo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-14-2018, 02:05 PM
pw1114
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ciclo
nice miniyours/jcw hybrid

Old 05-15-2018, 10:25 AM
ciclo
Neutral
Originally Posted by pw1114

nice miniyours/jcw hybrid
Thank you!
I was forced to install the steering wheel with red stitching (JCW) instead of my original steering wheel with gray-white stitching.

My original steering wheel doesn't have the correct wiring for the shift paddles from factory, nor does it have the necessary holes (shape) to accommodate / to house the blue connectors that belong to the paddle shifters wiring. ...as you commented here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4350354

I bought the JCW steering wheel on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-f55-f5...4383.l4275.c10 , it has everything you need.

Then I customized it with my original glossy black trims (buttons) as you can see in the video.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:15 PM
pinky_chi
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just want to thank everyone in this thread for the great info. Was able to swap the steering wheel and do the coding myself. Can definitely feel the difference.

Now for some canyon runs >

Old 02-19-2019, 12:13 AM
Bimmerboy96
Neutral
Originally Posted by pinky_chi
Just want to thank everyone in this thread for the great info. Was able to swap the steering wheel and do the coding myself. Can definitely feel the difference.

Now for some canyon runs >
I have all the tools needed to code, but what exactly did you have to code? I'm swapping my steering wheel next month

Old 02-19-2019, 10:50 AM
pinky_chi
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bimmerboy96
I have all the tools needed to code, but what exactly did you have to code? I'm swapping my steering wheel next month
I just coded these and it worked. Steering wheel is a bit annoying because of the airbag. R56 were so much easier cause you only needed to release one side but now there are three release points. Just make sure to disconnect the battery as you don’t want to mess with the airbag. 16mm head for the bolt, I think torque was around 100 ft/lbs.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:39 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Can I do this on a 2017 F57?

I already have the JCW Steering Wheel with red stitching, but I dont feel mounting points on the back for the paddles.

I have BimmerCode on my Phone so can I enable it and Launch mode?

Thanx

Old 03-23-2019, 07:01 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by trentiles
There are all kinds of combinations. There is the normal auto tranmission and then the sport auto transmission. You can get paddles or no paddles with the sport transmission (not sure about the normal one)
Hmm, so how can I tell if my vehicle has normal auto transmission or the sport one?
My car: 2016 Cooper S - There are no paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:07 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Hey Guys!

I really wanted this mod too and went ahead and went for it. Bough the JCW wheel off eBay for $257. Nothing extra was necessary, which was the best part

Hardest part was definitely removing the airbag, but once that was off everything went smoothly.

Deleted

Last edited by Imperial; 03-30-2020 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:46 PM
Monstergeeza
1st Gear
I'd love to have this done. Just the local dealer here in NYC is crap.

Anyone had this done in the North East ?

Old 03-30-2020, 12:17 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
- Who has 2016(year may not matter) MINI Cooper S F55(or at least F56) and have installed new steering wheel and coded Sport AT? Could you please do the following:

1) Place your vehicle in Sport Mode
2) Slide gear lever to the left(S) but don't do manual shifts.
3) Press once on the traction control button to activate dynamic traction control(may not be important, but I did it)
4) Let the car roll at ~5 MPH and then depress gas pedal fully - easier to take a video of the speedo instead of taking notes, then provide the stats.
5) Record/write shift RPMs and speed at which the transmission is changing gears. (see my example below)

- Now people with same car(s) as above but don't have paddle shifters and had no Sport AT coding. Please do the above setup and as I have shown below for my car.

My car wasn't coded at least by me(bought it used) and doesn't have paddle shifters or launch control. On Step 4 above, I kept gas pedal up to 90 MPH and then slowed down. Below are my observations:

1) Car shifted from S1 to S2 at 4000 RPM and at 20 MPH
2) Car shifted from S2 to S3 at over 6100 RPM at 50 MPH
3) Car shifted from S3 to S4 at over 6100 RPM at 85 MPH

That should be enough for comparison. At least this way we can see any difference + I would be able to see if my car was coded before or I need to code it.

Last edited by Imperial; 03-30-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Flappy Paddles retrofit