F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Manual or Automatic... I CANNOT decide!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Manual or Automatic... I CANNOT decide!

Let me start off by stating that, I've never owned an automatic vehicle, but have driven many. Here is why I started this thread; I will be purchasing a new F56 after I see the new refresh to lights, bumper and the new transmissions that will be offered (supposedly new motor options, too?). So I have a little time to think about this, but was curious what the group thought.

I currently have a Scion xA and a Dodge Viper (both manuals). I mostly daily the Viper because we have great year-round weather here in TX. The xA is mostly used for store runs, hauling the dogs around or when its downright pouring rain.

I have always been a Mini fan, and I've driven quite a few, however, I've only ever driven one automatic Mini, up until recently, and it was a 2017 JCW F56. It was fun, I will say that much. However, I will not be getting the JCW, as I feel the S will be plenty for me on a daily basis, as I have the Viper for when I really want to get on it.

What I'd like to ask is, are there any of you that went from a manual Mini to an automatic Mini? If so, how do you like/dislike the change? I told myself I'd never own an auto unless I absolutely HAD to, but I dont have to. Im only considering this as an option because I've been driving my friends 2014 Countryman lately when she and I hang out, and I've actually ENJOYED this car as an automatic. Its very much made me consider an auto Mini when I purchase.

What is everyone's thoughts?

BTW, I might actually consider the JUSTA F56 when the new refresh comes out, as I like the way it looks with the single exhaust and no "chin" front fascia. lol. But, both JUSTA and S are great, as I've driven both.

Last edited by FunToMini; 10-31-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:14 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Hardcore types will only do MINI with manual transmission. My lower back no longer likes the clutch action so I went with automatic on my last few cars. The transmission in the F56 in auto is very well done and I enjoy driving the car so much that I no longer think about not having a manual transmission.

I also have family members who occasionally need to use my car, they can't drive a manual.

I like the JUSTA as well, we have both engines in the family and if I was buying another car I would consider the JUSTA with a Dinan Elite module for the extra boost.

I learned to type on a manual typewriter, I don't miss it at all. lol

Old 10-31-2017, 11:15 AM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Even in day-to-day, bumper-to-bumper traffic, I'd prefer the manual transmission for several reasons:

The automatic CVT transmission is a very costly repair (if something fails) and are not known for their reliability. The MPG is relatively the same with both the manual and automatic.

Also, the F56 (manual variant) is extremely easy to drive (automatic rev-match and hill-assist).

In my personal experience, I am a much better driver when driving a manual versus an automatic car.
In a manual, I'm more aware of my surroundings and I'm more mindful of adjacent traffic lights.
In an automatic, I'm more relaxed and get distracted more easily.

The only reason I'd consider an automatic is that if I have other people (who can't drive manual) driving my car or if I wanted to drive barefoot.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:35 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Hasn't been a CVT transmission in a MINI in a long while.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:30 PM
67morris
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I just switched from 2nd gen manual JCW to 3rd gen auto JCW. I love it around town, but it will never substitute the feeling you get driving a proper manual. The sport auto does offer launch control though as opposed to the manual.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:55 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll also save $1500 by choosing the manual transmission.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:31 PM
GPMini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I went from a manual R56 to a auto F56. My wife has pretty bad arthritis (at only 32) and had a hard time with the manual having to clutch all the time in stop and go traffic. She couldnt do it anymore. So I got a F56 S with the auto. At first I was bummed to lose the manual. But the auto in the F56 is very well done IMO. When in sport mode (not using manual mode) it is programmed very well. I've told others it almost seems as though it's plugged into my brain and does almost exactly what I want it to do, when I want it to while driving spiritedly. It's eerie in a way haha. But then when I want to control it myself, the paddle shifters make if fun, and it shifts extremely fast. I've had it almost 2 years now, and we recently got my wife her own R59 Roadster auto. For a minute I thought about trading mine for another manual. Then I drove it again, and considering all the mods and work I've done to it, I feel I'm happy enough with the auto to keep it around and not start over. Plus, it is nice to not have to deal with clutching all the time in heavy traffic. Even my buddy down in LA who has a manual F56, and has always been a manual person, is considering trading to an auto after driving my car.

And, hell. You have a Viper for when you want to rip sh*t up. Go for the auto for when you want to just kick back and cruise.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:59 PM
David9962000
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you keep the Viper, get it Auto, it’s a good balance.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:34 PM
I'mMelting
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a brand new Countryman S All4 with auto and paddle shifters. I am enjoying the heck out of it. Very fast shifts. Very fun.

I have owned many manuals in various sports cars, exotics and never thought I would dig an auto like this!

Old 11-01-2017, 02:33 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I'm firmly planted in the Manual stable on this question.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:56 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Get a manual while you still can.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:50 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I know how nice the auto is but I too am firmly planted with the manual transmission. It is one of the only things on the car that is still “mostly” mechanical and I love shifting when I want too....best therapy there is!

Old 11-01-2017, 06:27 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
If you've always had and liked manual transmission cars,
GET THE MANUAL!

Automatics are for people that have issues with or lack of experience with manual transmissions.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:30 AM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The new automatics are quite good, and even faster. That said I still go for the manual in the Mini. Seems proper with a "sports car" and I love the driving involvement a manual brings. I'm on my 3rd Mini and all 3 have been manual transmissions. However if I had to drive in traffic often, I would go for the automatic.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:56 AM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
On the other side of the coin, if you don't plan on keeping it long term, automatics are easier to sell.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:58 PM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cristo
GET THE MANUAL!

Automatics are for people that have issues with or lack of experience with manual transmissions.
Agree. Having always owned a manual since i began driving in 1965, i made the "automatic" mistake once in 2007. Never again (unless i'm physically unable to do the manual).

Old 11-01-2017, 01:06 PM
67morris
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The OP already have manual cars to enjoy stick. If the mini is your only car, I would agree with getting a manual. This is not 2007 and automatics have improved significantly.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:09 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by cristo
GET THE MANUAL!

Troglodyte

Old 11-01-2017, 01:54 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I’d like to see how proficient the Formula 1 drivers would be if they had to us both feet driving!!! That would be real racing in my book! Automatics make it too easy!!!...although I suppose having quick fingers somewhat offsets using both feet! lol!

I’f rather be a troglodyte and keep driving instead of being broke down beside the road when that fancy paddle shifting automatic transmission breaks! I can’t count on both hands how many Formula 1 cars have had dnf’s this season due to “technical issues” with the drivetrain! ;-)

Old 11-02-2017, 09:14 AM
FunToMini
3rd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I wont be making my purchase until after the new refresh comes out, and I hear that the new transmissions will be out then as well, so I will need to drive the new auto at that time, but this has been surprising to me on how many have said manual. I was under the impression that no one really drove a manual these days.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
The actual sales figures are even lower. Edmunds senior analyst Ivan Drury said fewer than 3% of current U.S. car sales are manual vehicles — compared with 80% in some European and Asian countries, and down in the U.S. from 7% in 2012 and 25% in 1992.

“That number is never going to go back up,” Drury said. “The trajectory is down, headed for zero.”

Old 11-02-2017, 09:50 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Every one of my mini's has been a manual, they are simply more fun to drive. I do have a couple automatics, our z4 is an auto, and our X5. I'm already looking to get rid of the z4 auto and get a manual instead

not to mention the 1500 $ savings, and depending on how long you keep it, better resale. While within warranty the auto's seem to hold value better, but once past that you are into enthusist zone and the manuals cost more and are much harder to find. Even more rare are manuals with no sunroofs

Old 11-02-2017, 11:17 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are MINIs moving from an enthusiast car to a mainstream car?

Originally Posted by FunToMini
I wont be making my purchase until after the new refresh comes out, and I hear that the new transmissions will be out then as well, so I will need to drive the new auto at that time, but this has been surprising to me on how many have said manual. I was under the impression that no one really drove a manual these days.
- judging by the lack of waves and the confused looks on most MINI drivers faces, plus the fact that all of the showroom floor vehicles at my MINI dealer are automatic, i think MINI is moving more mainstream where, as a poster above said, the percentage is WAY in favor for the automatics. Those of us enthusiasts that frequent this board and the various MINI facebook groups are a small minority of MINI owners. The rest are normal people.

- The reason that Formula 1 cars and pretty much all supercars offer only automatics now is, partly because of demand, and partly because they are so fast that trying to shift becomes impossible with their acceleration.

- A small bit of good news though, the CEO(?) of Aston Martin says they will always offer at least one manual as long as he is in charge. Not likely to affect me though...

- Porsche offers a manual on only one 911 and that is the 2018 GT3 at about 150K. They still offer the Cayman and Boxster w manual. Also not likely to affect me...

- The new NSX... beautiful car imo, no manual trans

- i talked to a guy at the New Hope PA car show that has 2 Ferrari's, both older because none of the new ones offer manual tranny.

The following users liked this post:
Clutch Wotan (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by I'mMelting
I have a brand new Countryman S All4 with auto and paddle shifters. I am enjoying the heck out of it. Very fast shifts. Very fun.

I have owned many manuals in various sports cars, exotics and never thought I would dig an auto like this!
Fully agree, use to a stick since i can think, iam afraid to loose my magic touch, but thats because i never seriously testet it. On the latest occasion i could squeeze, the **** out of an Plugin Countryman, and Iam sure thats this the future. - Unbelievable how the rear supports the momentum, bum bum direct shifts you can brake and accelerate at the same time.

My next project.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:42 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher

Troglodyte
I'm still with this guy!