F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Manual or Automatic... I CANNOT decide!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Antmax
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't like the paddles because I don't like to keep my hands at 3/9 the whole time. So just ended up with the stick. I bought my Auto so the missus could drive it. It hasn't killed my enjoyment of the car, but I drive it a lot more sedately. In any mode other than Sport it reacts slowly and unpredictably at certain RPM's. You have to be strict about braking when downshifting or there is a fair chance it will shift to a lower gear and mess things up.

I wish I used full manual more but it doesn't feel the same. If it was a choice between the Cooper S and my 2004 Miata at the autocross, Miata would win every time no question. I can drive that 8/10 everywhere all the time with complete confidence. Mini auto I don't even hit 6/10 most of the time.

Its still a nice car, but a sporty car rather than a sports car.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:45 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by SFMCS
Drove a new (moved from the showroom floor new) clubman JCW with paddle shifters today.

What a dog it was!

It will only downshift under 3,500 rpm. Above 3,501 nothing happens. Rev match minimal.
Strange. On my 2017 Clubman S All4, the downshifting with the paddles is fast and happens at higher revs. And it is positive and very quick. And I get good compression braking when downshifting, plus in sport mode with the tranny in sport, I get the pops and burbbles.

The attributes of a stick cannot be denied or minimized. But I have been impressed with the auto tranny in my Clubman.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:29 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Manual because racekar!!!

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 06:34 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Hey, I am not criticizing people who drive autos. I also realize that driving an auto in competition is a different technique entirely. But watching F1 cockpit shots of the shifting, an auto MINI (and most others, if not all) is not even similar to a F1. After watching a year of the Continental IMSA JCW team, they seemed to be "bumped" off the track in the corners. If they had manuals, they would have the engine/transmission weight helping control them and I wonder if the results (at the end of the year) would be different. All of the front weight "floating" with the auto?

For me and my driving style/training, down shifting into a corner, I can accelerate through the corner and exit, under more power/ torque/control than with an auto. And more control over the RPMs.

If I had to drive long commutes, like I used to, I would go with an auto. On a track or back road, not. Driving in snow, not.

While passing someone on a two lane road with an auto, I found that I was always at the mercy of the transmission, especially when slowing to cancel the pass and "tucking" back in or more power/speed to pass.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:26 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Personally, a manual is what makes this car fun.

Shifting through the gears when you are driving/passing people is so much fun. Im not talking about those idiots who go 100 on the highway but (safe) spirited driving, downshifting, hearing the exhaust pop, and then accelerating and then upshifting gives me chills.

You just dont get that feeling in an automatic. Manual trans helps you be one with your car, you control how it performs, not a pre-programmed computer.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:02 AM
67morris
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
After watching a year of the Continental IMSA JCW team, they seemed to be "bumped" off the track in the corners. If they had manuals, they would have the engine/transmission weight helping control them and I wonder if the results (at the end of the year) would be different. All of the front weight "floating" with the auto?

They do have manuals. Don't believe the JCW team ever used autos.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:13 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Looking at the interior photos (shift) you are correct. They are manuals.

So as the commenters have stated, and I have observed, the front engine/front drive MINI brakes earlier into the corner and accelerates quicker at the apex of the curve, than the rear wheel drive competition? And that is why the get "bumped" going into the curve?

They are faster going through the curve, just the timing/speed is different?

Old 11-30-2017, 05:30 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Looking at the interior photos (shift) you are correct. They are manuals.

So as the commenters have stated, and I have observed, the front engine/front drive MINI brakes earlier into the corner and accelerates quicker at the apex of the curve, than the rear wheel drive competition? And that is why the get "bumped" going into the curve?

They are faster going through the curve, just the timing/speed is different?
The JCW team has always had manual transmissions afaik but they havent always had the stock JCW Brembo brakes! Only last season did IMSA allow them to run the Brembos, and guess when they started winning and being more competitive?

Old 11-30-2017, 06:38 PM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are even asking the question you already know the answer.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:22 AM
S-2013
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Even

Even Mini wants you to shift you

Last edited by S-2013; 12-15-2017 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Add text
Old 12-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Yep! Because thats how these cars should be!

Old 12-15-2017, 02:36 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Maybe changing my opinion. Just ran at Thermal CA last week in a JCW auto. Did not have time to shift or use paddles. Just lucky to make it through the corner... tires smoking.

Driving on streets, interstate, "twisties", back roads, and my local mountains, definitely a manual. On a race track (real one) I'll take the auto. Gotta keep two hands on the wheel. Have a lot more respect for the LAP JCW team (IMSA) running manuals.