F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Picked up a new Mini yesterday, couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:26 AM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Picked up a new Mini yesterday, couple of questions

I picked up a 2017 Cooper for my wife yesterday and there's a few little things that I'm curious about.

1. When I open the sunroof with the one-touch feature, it doesn't open the whole way. It opens most of the way but it stops about 3" from fully opening and I have to open it the rest of the way manually. Is this normal?

2. Is there really no way to pause music that is playing from your phone? Seems like a ridiculous omission.

3. What do the up/down arrows on the steering wheel do? Was hoping I could use this to skip music tracks but that doesn't seem to work? Whenever I use the buttons it says "not available" or something like that.

4. Not that I'd want to but is there a way to disable the auto dimming rearview mirror?

Thanks in advance! Car is great.

Last edited by Ray Oliver; 09-13-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:39 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
On mine the Up/Down buttons do the volume. The Left/Right ones skip tracks. I use an iPod with the Y connector not my phone though. They work fine. I doubt you can disable the auto dimming RV mirror.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:40 AM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
On mine the Up/Down buttons do the volume. The Left/Right ones skip tracks. I use an iPod with the Y connector not my phone though. They work fine. I doubt you can disable the auto dimming RV mirror.
Volume is L/R on mine. Weird.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:19 AM
nqr31467
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
The volume is L/R on the F-series vehicles. The up/down changes the track or the station depending on what you are listening too. I use the internal hard drive as storage so I do not have another unit attached.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:58 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
The sunroof doesn't open 100% automatically because anything past where it stops can creat wind buffeting, sounds like a helicopter, hurts your ears. It's like this on most cars.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:15 PM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by trentiles
The sunroof doesn't open 100% automatically because anything past where it stops can creat wind buffeting, sounds like a helicopter, hurts your ears. It's like this on most cars.
Interesting. My GTI doesn't have that issue.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
1. When I open the sunroof with the one-touch feature, it doesn't open the whole way. It opens most of the way but it stops about 3" from fully opening and I have to open it the rest of the way manually. Is this normal?

Normal. Prevents wind buffeting.

2. Is there really no way to pause music that is playing from your phone? Seems like a ridiculous omission.

Hit the mute button/volume ****. Should pause your music.

3. What do the up/down arrows on the steering wheel do? Was hoping I could use this to skip music tracks but that doesn't seem to work? Whenever I use the buttons it says "not available" or something like that.

I've found that these buttons don't play well with music played through a phone app, and are better used for radio stations/presets. I agree, it's an odd issue. Try plugging the phone in with your USB cable and see if the effect is the same. Additionally, try playing music that's on your phone vs. thru an app.

4. Not that I'd want to but is there a way to disable the auto dimming rearview mirror?

Negative ghostrider.

Sounds like you've been enjoying the car, though - keep enjoying it!

Old 09-13-2017, 05:08 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
#3. On my car the up and down arrows will skip or replay tracks if my phone is linked via BT. When it's plugged into the USB port They don't do anything. I have to use the arrows on the main display and the iDrive control.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:52 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
On my '18 F60, the up arrows work with Sat radio, and if you have a HUD, you can see the list that the arrow has moved to, then pressing the middle OK button will select the station. Stupid that it doesn't show up on the main radio screen/display.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:53 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I only have the radio with HK Sound & I use a USB stick for music...the up/down buttons let me toggle between songs & the left/right buttons are for volume. Same goes for changing radio presets...at least that's what I recall, as I listen to my own music most of the time. I suppose the function of the up/down buttons depends on how your car is configured.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:45 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray Oliver
Interesting. My GTI doesn't have that issue.
All of my VW's, and I've had a lot, their sunroof's never opened 100%. They also did not give you the ability to open past the preset stop point where Mini allows you to fully open past the predefined stop point.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:04 AM
NJmini2
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if using voice commands would work?

Old 09-14-2017, 02:19 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The up and down arrows work when I have my iPod plugged in. It's just backwards though. Pressing DOWN arrow goes to NEXT track (weird) and UP arrow moves backwards. Again, the DOWN arrow will go to the next track if using USB/iPod interface.