F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Advice on "spray and wipe wax"

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:02 AM
trouble1943
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Advice on "spray and wipe wax"

Hi All:

I have a 2016 MCS Moonwalk Grey with black bonnet stripes and a 74 year old body with arthritic knees and a bad back. So my days of wash, dry and wax are long gone.

Have been looking at following brands of "spray and wipe" waxes:

Meguiar's G3626 Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax
Mothers 05644 Waterless Wash & Wax
Griot's Garage 10984 Spray-On Car Wash

Plan is always get brushless wash first at nearby Shell station (always fill there with93 octane), come home and apply "spray wax and dry."

Questions are:

1. Have been told okay to use microfiber cloth or clean tee shirt (which one)
2. Any danger of these products scratching paint
3. Which of the three (or other brand) do you all recommend

Really love this car and planning on keeping a long time. Thought of "opti-coating" when I first took delivery but SWMBO put the kabosh on that one.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts and tips!

Bob

Old 05-18-2017, 01:30 PM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
I think if you already have had the car washed I'd go with Griot's Spray-On Wax #10962. I use it after every wash and it does a nice job. Use one microfiber to spread it around and another for final buff. I buy it, Speed Shine, and Interior Cleaner in gallon sizes since it's more economical that way. Can't comment on the other products. Any product can scratch if dirt still remains on the finish, but the best ones have the lubricity to help with that- along with good microfiber.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I've used Meguiar's G3626 Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax for spot cleaning. I'm not the least bit **** about swirls, etc. at this point in life. Works for me. Gives a nice shine.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Top quality clean microfiber is key. Griot's products are what I've been using for 8 years or so and swear by them. The spray on wax reinforces the wax coat laid on earlier and the Speed Shine is great for touch up. I also use a California duster in between.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:56 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I can't comment on the specific product, but I have a word of warning. I have a 2017 MCS in Moonwalk, and I already had to have a professional detailer come out and fix my hood. Had bird etching on it after letting bird doo sit for a couple of days. It didn't crack the paint, but NOTHING would remove the hard-water type stains that the huge bird dropping left behind. The detail guy came out with buffing pads and a machine.

I grew up thinking that you DON'T wax a brand new car/new paint job for a least a few months, so I didn't. Now I know I should have put a good coat of wax on it the second I got it home to protect it and now I use a spray cleaner if a bird hits it again.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:12 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I won a Griot's car care kit in a raffle my local MINI club held. Included was some microfiber towels and Griot's spray on car wax as well as spray on car wash. I was sceptical about these products, but after trying them, I was sold on them.

The spray on wax should be used in addition to a good wax job, it will extend the life of the existing wax. I now buy these product by the gallon. It is best to use microfiber towels, as they pull grit down below the surface of the towel to help prevent scratches.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:36 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Top quality clean microfiber is key. Griot's products are what I've been using for 8 years or so and swear by them. The spray on wax reinforces the wax coat laid on earlier and the Speed Shine is great for touch up. I also use a California duster in between.
Ditto to that. I do the same thing & my JCW is all black! Really keeps it nice & clean!

Old 05-18-2017, 06:51 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I use Waverley on my Mini. When it gets dirty I call Waverley and he comes to my house and washes/waxes the car as needed.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:03 AM
1chaos52
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used Prima products for years and really like them. My usual routine (other than at least one full on detail per year) is using Hydro Max every 4 - 6 months as the stuff lasts a long time, then at every wash I use Hydro which is both a drying agent and a wax that helps boost the longevity of the Hydro Max. Have had great experience with their products and customer service.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:07 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Clean the car normally (I prefer hand wash over anything) and then use the spray wax. It's much easier than the traditional wax. Make sure your MINI is very clean and use a clean microfiber cloth that is heavy plush. Watch the rear of your MINI where dust collects and make sure you are always flipping and knocking out the towel. I like to snap it and fold to a clean side. I use chemical guys speed wipe.

If you can't hand wash, then its time to train a grandson/grandchild or someone else to wash it for you. Or have it done at your dealership. Most MINI dealers have free hand washes if you book it out. That way it will be clean and swirl free.

Those automatics dont get all the dirt off. Then if you use a spray wax and drive through only, after a while your will get swirl marks from the dirt that never comes off.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rotection.html

Comes is a super small bottle also.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-chemical-guys-parts/speed-wipe-quick-detailer-4oz/wac20204~chg/

Make sure you always use a clean plush towel.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-19-2017, 07:34 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
+1 on hand wash. A 2 bucket hand wash BTW. There are horror stories in here on what mechanical washes do to MINIs.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:14 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
my only $0.02 is if the days of "washing and waxing" are over due to body aches, it may not be a bad idea to get a "serious" detail done with the use of a ceramic coating on CQuartz, Opticoat, or GTeckniq. it's a much stronger coating that protects the paints from the likes of bird poop, swirls, etc...

i'd imagine a coat like that would allow the car to lost longer with minimal/easier detailing vs trying to maintain it with a spray and wipe solution. inevitably, the spray and wipe will produce scratches/swirls. just a thought.
note that a ceramic coat is expensive $1000+ BUT the results are unbelievable. nowadays, depending on what type of dirt is on my car, i've been able to not even wash it. i just use a pressure washer and wet, soap it up with a foam cannon, let it sit, pressure wash it off, and then use a leaf blower to clear the water.

edit: saw your last statement on SWMBO...do it and dont' say anything..."why's it so shiny"..."i'm that good honey get me my beer"

Old 05-19-2017, 04:00 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
saw your last statement on SWMBO...do it and dont' say anything..."why's it so shiny"..."i'm that good honey get me my beer"
Sage advice in any scenario.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:34 PM
minintrigue
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
my only $0.02 is if the days of "washing and waxing" are over due to body aches, it may not be a bad idea to get a "serious" detail done with the use of a ceramic coating on CQuartz, Opticoat, or GTeckniq. it's a much stronger coating that protects the paints from the likes of bird poop, swirls, etc...

i'd imagine a coat like that would allow the car to lost longer with minimal/easier detailing vs trying to maintain it with a spray and wipe solution. inevitably, the spray and wipe will produce scratches/swirls. just a thought.
note that a ceramic coat is expensive $1000+ BUT the results are unbelievable. nowadays, depending on what type of dirt is on my car, i've been able to not even wash it. i just use a pressure washer and wet, soap it up with a foam cannon, let it sit, pressure wash it off, and then use a leaf blower to clear the water.

edit: saw your last statement on SWMBO...do it and dont' say anything..."why's it so shiny"..."i'm that good honey get me my beer"
no matter your age, there's a lot of good advice here !!!

Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Foaming, washing, drying, polishing and waxing = a lot of time.

The spray detailers/waterless cleaners work well if you use a lot of high quality microfiber towels. However, as Greg stated, this will eventually lead to swirls and fine scratches in the paint/clear coat.

For those with Xpel or similar clear protection film, does the film scratch easily when using the detailers spray and wipe method? (I'm talking about minor dust build up such as driving for 2 days after the car has been detailed, then using the detailers spray or a waterless wash spray.)

Thunder grey is a lot of work to keep clean.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:28 PM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
trouble1943....I hear you as I'm not far behind (1946). I've used this product for the past 4 years on both cars and I swear by it. My last big vehicle was black metallic, and I could use this without even washing first! No swirls. It's not a 6 month wax, but I can do my Mini in 20-25 minutes very easy labor, and the acrylic coating is hard. I'm not in any way "related" to this product-detail guy tipped me on it. https://www.ultraluster.com/our-products