F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 JCW Tuning Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 05:12 PM
skywampa
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All is well on my side.

I have confirmed that the FA/VO now has an entry for "NPOW".

Last edited by skywampa; 08-11-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:20 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kinda a silly question. For those of us that don't have a driving excellence gauge since we don't have the upgraded screen. How do I go about checking the info about Hp gains??? I know my install went smoothly, just trying to help out those like me that don't have the screen.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniF55
Kinda a silly question. For those of us that don't have a driving excellence gauge since we don't have the upgraded screen. How do I go about checking the info about Hp gains??? I know my install went smoothly, just trying to help out those like me that don't have the screen.
don't believe there is any other way, other than using torque and/or dash command to show HP numbers.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:18 PM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by a.decrease
All is well on my side.

I am really glad for you!

Lets hope they do the same for me

Old 08-12-2016, 08:08 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
For fear of sounding like a complete "boob", what exactly is this display telling me about a JCW tune being installed?

Was there another graph displayed showing lower numbers before the tune?

If one were to leave this display up during driving, would it display the max HP and Torque being produced? Assuming that is the case, I would further assume you'd have to set the car to "Sport", turn off AC, if using an automatic, set it to "S", and floor it?

Have no clue on this one. Googled it and got virtually nothing on it.

After the fix, the Driving Excitement gauges now read the proper figures.

I haven't had a chance to read the FA/VO, but will follow up with the results.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:27 PM
sootyvrs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
For fear of sounding like a complete "boob", what exactly is this display telling me about a JCW tune being installed?

If one were to leave this display up during driving, would it display the max HP and Torque being produced? Assuming that is the case, I would further assume you'd have to set the car to "Sport", turn off AC, if using an automatic, set it to "S", and floor it?

The display shows that numbers e.g power and torque values has changed after the remap was done.

For sone the numbers did not change which suggests the remap was not done correctly or not done at all by the supplying Mini dealer

Old 08-12-2016, 08:53 PM
vetsvette
Received 451 Likes on 344 Posts
Mine has been in the shop since before the thread started, so haven't had a chance to check. Saw this thread and it reminded me to check (picked it up today), lo and behold... Mine looks just like the one in post #30 above.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:14 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sootyvrs
The display shows that numbers e.g power and torque values has changed after the remap was done.

For sone the numbers did not change which suggests the remap was not done correctly or not done at all by the supplying Mini dealer
So, prior to the JCW tune install, this display would have shown different numbers (likely lower), yes?

Honestly never knew there was a way to tell whether the install was done other than a "Dyno" run or the somewhat subjective "butt dyno".

The rather large jump in torque numbers after my car got the tune kit was very evident as soon as i stepped on the gas. Plus my service manager is as honest as they come and he checks on the service techs to ensure everything done is being done properly.

Personally I'd really be "miffed" if I paid for the full tune and only got the exhaust. Really brings the dealership and the service department's integrity into question.

I'm reasonably confident that after the flash is completed, the software install program rechecks everything and displays a "Success" result. Nearly every update to any computer system does this. I'd further bet the old programing is backed up as a safety measure.

For a dealership/ service department to feign ignorance is flat out dishonest IMO. They would have to display some pretty fancy footwork in the way of explanation to convince me this was an honest mistake. Especially for the $ amount charged.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:16 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Mine has been in the shop since before the thread started, so haven't had a chance to check. Saw this thread and it reminded me to check (picked it up today), lo and behold... Mine looks just like the one in post #30 above.
I do like what the shop has done to your car.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:02 PM
vetsvette
Thanks Top.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:37 PM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Hi guys,

Just picked the car up, now it shows 240 HP and 240 Tq and is a whole different car while driving so that along just prove that my dealer NEVER installed the tune!

Later today I will download E-Sys and check the files to make sure it shows the correct files, I no longer trust on the dealer.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:47 PM
skywampa
1st Gear
The Driving Excitement gauges get their data from the DME (Engine) and EGS (Transmission) modules.

The JCW Tuning Kit includes a software tune for the DME module only.

Before the JCW Tune, you would expect to see 200hp and 240ft-lb on the gauges for a Cooper S (fJCW would already show 240hp/240ft-lb).

After the JCW Tune, you should see 240hp and 240ft-lb.

When you are driving, the small arrows will move up and down, but the 240h/240ft-lb figure always remain the same.

These values are likely hardcoded in the firmware of the DME and EGS modules. I've poked around in ESYS on trying to modify them, but there aren't any obvious options.

So, prior to the JCW tune install, this display would have shown different numbers (likely lower), yes?

Honestly never knew there was a way to tell whether the install was done other than a "Dyno" run or the somewhat subjective "butt dyno".

The rather large jump in torque numbers after my car got the tune kit was very evident as soon as i stepped on the gas. Plus my service manager is as honest as they come and he checks on the service techs to ensure everything done is being done properly.

Personally I'd really be "miffed" if I paid for the full tune and only got the exhaust. Really brings the dealership and the service department's integrity into question.

I'm reasonably confident that after the flash is completed, the software install program rechecks everything and displays a "Success" result. Nearly every update to any computer system does this. I'd further bet the old programing is backed up as a safety measure.

For a dealership/ service department to feign ignorance is flat out dishonest IMO. They would have to display some pretty fancy footwork in the way of explanation to convince me this was an honest mistake. Especially for the $ amount charged.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:12 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts

That new Gen 3 gauge is 10x faster then the Gauge on the Gen 2 MINI Driving excitement. On my R58 there is a delay of a few seconds , then it catches up.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-15-2016, 05:56 PM
sootyvrs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ranger052
Hi guys,

Just picked the car up, now it shows 240 HP and 240 Tq and is a whole different car while driving so that along just prove that my dealer NEVER installed the tune!

Later today I will download E-Sys and check the files to make sure it shows the correct files, I no longer trust on the dealer.
Glad you got it sorted. Did you get any apology from your dealer for getting it all wrong?

Old 08-16-2016, 08:25 AM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sootyvrs
Glad you got it sorted. Did you get any apology from your dealer for getting it all wrong?
Yeah, The manager did talk to me and apology and also gave me some free goodies lol but to be honest I won't be going back to that dealer again, they told me the fix was going to take a full day and it actually took Friday, Saturday, Sunday and all day Monday! They came up with he excuse that my car was not accepting the tune blah blah blah and I was like didn't you say Mini Engineers were the one connecting remotely and doing the tune? Pure dealer BS they were just trying to fix it themselves without involving Mini.

At the end I had to go on Monday and tell the manager I want you to call Mini right now explain the satiation and get this fix or I will just cancel all this crap and give me my money back. He contacted Mini and guess what? issue was resolved in 30 minutes after the call was done.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:58 PM
Jun Wong
Neutral
First of all, I would really like to say a big thank you to all the enthusiast here for identifying the ECU remap thingy because I was the first victim here that dealer failed to remap properly. But all is done now I can see 240hP and 320NM/240ftlb

BUT THE BIGGEST question is, how much do you guys get when u do a full throttle ?
I've tried many times and my result are 210-220 HP and 300NM flat !!

I suppose we still have an OVERBOOST function?? from 300 - 320 ? IF YES, I should be able to see 320 sometimes ??? UNLESS we say the overboost function is not in the JCW tuning kit anymore.

GUYS please go try it out as I'm afraid the TORQUE part failed in the ECU remap process.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:58 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
I'm not I'd go with what's showing up on that screen. best way to know what you are really producing is have your car Dyno'd.

I'm not that concerned with numbers, more about "seat of the pants" performance. I'll trust Pedro when he dyno'd his and got the following:

F56 Cooper S w/ JCW Tuning Kit:
Wheel Horsepower: 206.53 whp
Wheel Torque: 236.99 ft-lbs
Crank Horsepower: 231.31 bhp
Crank Torque: 265.43 ft-lbs

Mine feels like it's producing at or better than his numbers (as I've shaved 32 lbs. of un-sprung wheel weight which should net me about +10 more WHP and a bit more Torque too than the numbers above..

Old 08-31-2016, 09:04 PM
Jun Wong
Neutral
Yea I've seen that before on wheel 206 HP and 235ftlb.
But because I thought permanent will be 211hp and 300nm.

and does anyone know if overboost still function after the JCW tuning kit ?

Old 02-21-2017, 03:01 PM
Hoopty
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All is well on my side.

My MINI is a 2015 MCS w/JCW Tuning Kit. I just had a system software updated and when I got it back my 'Driving Excitement' gauge read 160hp/240lb-ft. (see attached) So I took it back to the dealer and they contacted MINI and were told there is a glitch with the Update and the tuning kit, and the driving excitement gauge. And the should have a fix by March. They assured me that the tuning kit is in place and the the issue is with the gauge only.

Since I would like to check it for myself.......I would like to download E-Sys software and check if the FA/VO says "NPOW" or not. I don't want to do any actual coding but just view the setting is correct. Can somebody give me 'step by step' instructions?

thanks, Hoopty

Attached Thumbnails JCW Tuning Kit Question-randall-s-screen-a.jpg  
Old 02-24-2017, 05:54 PM
whippa
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hoopty
My MINI is a 2015 MCS w/JCW Tuning Kit. I just had a system software updated and when I got it back my 'Driving Excitement' gauge read 160hp/240lb-ft. (see attached) So I took it back to the dealer and they contacted MINI and were told there is a glitch with the Update and the tuning kit, and the driving excitement gauge. And the should have a fix by March. They assured me that the tuning kit is in place and the the issue is with the gauge only.

Since I would like to check it for myself.......I would like to download E-Sys software and check if the FA/VO says "NPOW" or not. I don't want to do any actual coding but just view the setting is correct. Can somebody give me 'step by step' instructions?

thanks, Hoopty

I just had my JCW tune kit done,,It does seem to have more power but my "excitement" readings dropped to 160/240 like yours did...my dealership was clueless...I asked for a E-sys printout , but they informed me they moved to the ISTA/P system and gave me a prit out from that system that they could not interpret...when I asked how did I know that the Tune was installed ...they answered " when you step on the gas you will know" ..BS

Old 02-24-2017, 06:50 PM
whippa
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hoopty

thanks, Hoopty

Hoopty

I believe you and I have been BSed about this ..we should be reading the 240/240 just like all the others on here who had it done properly..we have the same year as Vette and others...I am taking mine back and raising hell...!

Old 02-24-2017, 09:21 PM
vetsvette
Just ran out for a Shamrock Shake. I thought about this thread when I started the car and figured I'd make sure I still had the correct readings. I don't think I've checked it since last summer.
Yup, still there.

Attached Thumbnails JCW Tuning Kit Question-fullsizeoutput_2cb.jpeg  
Old 02-24-2017, 09:23 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
For those that don't have the video screen. How do we check to see if we have it?

Old 02-24-2017, 09:29 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by whippa
...they answered " when you step on the gas you will know"

Sorry... couldn't resist.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:30 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Lol. Just put it on sport and listen for the bangs I guess. Lol

Quick Reply: F55/F56 JCW Tuning Kit Question