F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Age old - auto or manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 06:27 AM
ragtop_rob
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Age old - auto or manual

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about getting a 2017 JCW Convertible. I drive a Crew Cab F350 4x4 Truck, and it is paid off in 2 months. I was thinking about ordering the mini as soon as I can.

I am getting this to drive mostly for fun but it will also be more or less my daily driver. I hope to get this and stay off of motorcycles and away from old cars. I test drove a Roadster when they came out and thought it was a blast to drive, so I think the JCW Convertible will more than fit the bill for a fun car.

I am torn between the auto trans and the manual. I just saw that the auto is actually quicker than the manual so there is no loss. Does anyone out there regret going to the automatic? Do you like the paddle shifters if you have them?

I live in the DC/Balt area so traffic can be horrendous, that is why I am leaning away from a manual trans. I realize the mustang GT is about the same cost, but it really did not have the fun factor I found in the Mini.

At 6'5" there are not many fun cars I fit into, the mini is one, it almost seems like the TR6 I have always wanted but never bought..

I welcome your thoughts!

Old 07-28-2016, 07:03 AM
Minor
1st Gear
will not regret manual

I was torn a couple of clubmans ago and unfortunately selected auto as safe choice.

Regretted and less than a year later, encouraged by availability of ALL4 on the 2017, ordered a new Clubman with manual. Vastly prefer in the many instances when i am stuck in horrible traffic, the shifting actually gives me something to do

Minis are really fun to drive. There is no practical argument for a stick. However, if you like to drive you will like driving a manual mini even more good luck

Old 07-28-2016, 07:39 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally think a lot depends on your driving style.

I've had two manual Mini's since Oct 2008. While the automatic loaner vehicles (when my car has been in for service) have gotten better, I'm still very happy with driving a manual and wouldn't have it any other way.

I too have daily traffic, perhaps not as bad as yours. If you are the leave no gap, accelerate and brake in heavy traffic, the manual may seem a pain in heavy traffic. But if you are the "look ahead" type that tries to smooth out stop and go to some extant, then the manual is not bad at all. I find myself see traffic is slowing and either let up on the gas or go to neutral and coast as the gap narrows braking as required.

And having just finished MTTS 3700 miles of driving in the western states, I'm very happy with my F56 manual.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:32 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Mostly depends on you personally. From my standpoint I chose the auto. It's fast and fun when you want to drive it that way (get the paddle shifters if if you want to feel like a F1 driver).

I opted for the non paddle but run mine with the auto shift level put into the M/S mode (rather than "D"). In the "S" it shifts aggressively and holds gears longer than if left it drive. I I choose the "M", I can shift the car manually to the rev limits (there is a safety feature that should I run it to it's limits and not shift, the car will automatically to prevent damage).

I loved driving a "stick", but find myself commuting more than actually doing 'dedicated" driving. Nice to have a coffee in one hand and the other on the wheel and not having to worry about up and down shifting in traffic.

As I get older, I try and make my life less complicated. My C7 is a dedicated "driving" car, but went with a automatic for that one too. Performance wise, autos are faster and just less of a hassle when driving in traffic.

Track fun, winding mountain roads, back roads with lots of curves and straights, a stick is a hoot.

Figure out which suits you best and go for it. A JCW is an excellent start.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:42 AM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It all depends on your preference. With the manual, you're not giving up much performance wise because the auto is not a DCT. In my opinion, the additional $1500 for the auto is not worth it.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:01 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I am biased toward manual, but if the MINI automatic was a good dual clutch, I'd have to go with the dual clutch. From what I understand, for 2017 there is no dual clutch option.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:31 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wonder if you can find an unsold JCW Roadster.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:50 PM
Sailorlite
3rd Gear
There are good automatic transmissions and great ones - with paddles and without. But if you enjoy driving, the manual is the greatest of the choices. IMO, the manual is what makes my MCS worth having. And I live near LA so I understand the stop/go commute traffic problem. Get the manual and report back, I say.

Last edited by Sailorlite; 07-28-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
The paddles on my Countryman are awful. The ones on my VW DSG are very good, although I don't really use them much. If I have a clutch I'm going to use it, but if I have an automatic transmission I just let it do its thing.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:04 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The automatic in the F5x models is not a dual clutch, but they sure programmed it to act like one in stop and go traffic. Until you learn how to handle it, it bucks and jerks at low speeds just like my old VW DSGs. You get used to it and can learn how to make it be smoother, but it's not like a traditional smooth slushy automatic or CVT in terms of smoothness.

Take a test drive is the best bet, if you can.

In my old MINI (R56) I had a 6 speed manual, and I hated the hill-hold function. Made 1st year take offs sort of abrupt at times.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:39 PM
trouble1943
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
AUTOMATIC WITH THE PADDLE SHIFTERS! We got our 2016 S a week ago. Both my wife and I have arthritic knees, so a manual was pretty much out of the question. But even without the knee problems, I'd never get another stick shift. I can do all the shifting I want with the gear shift in manual mode or the paddle shifters. Blessing in traffic with automatic doing everything and a huge smile-inducing hoot with the tuner exhaust open and paddle shifting my way through twisties.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:57 PM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
+1 for the Sport Auto (with paddle shifters). I have had several manual MINIs. This on is an auto (it was in stock and I got a smoking deal on it). My wife does not drive a manual, so it works for her too. I always have it in manual mode and shift with the paddles. Other than not using my left foot, it is every bit as entertaining as a manual. There is indeed bucking, etc if you are not in the correct gear, and you actually can do multi gear downshifts (ex: 4-2). It's an absolute blast to drive. A huge improvement over the previous generation autos and definitely not a "slushbox".

Old 07-28-2016, 07:21 PM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
if you are even asking the question, you know you want a stick.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:05 PM
Sidewalker
3rd Gear
I wavered back and forth on this matter when ordering my JCW. In the end I went with the auto w/ paddles. So far (500+ miles) I'm very happy. The shifting is lightning quick and the pops/burbles we have all grown to love are present when you want them and more subtle when you don't. My previous Mini, a '13 CMS was a manual and I don't regret that choice either, but in the end, the auto with paddles feels like the best of both. And when you want to really gun it from a standstill, it truly feels faster.

I've caught a little flack for buying a real driving machine in an auto, and in the past have even given friends with paddles in a Porsche a hard time as well...but now I'm eating my words because I really like it.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:21 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I'm a manual advocate. My daily driver is a BMW X1 with the superb 8-speed automatic. I always drive it in sport mode and it is an awesome transmission, but I always default to auto mode and that was a key factor in deciding to change vehicles. If it is there, I will use it. As a result, I am replacing it with a manual JCW.

I still have a E39 M5 with a manual transmission and never tire of it, so my vote is for the manual transmission. That is, unless it doesn't work for you. In that case, the auto is pretty spectacular ... I drove one and was very impressed ... it is still a blast to drive.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:44 PM
Ignoramist
2nd Gear
Unless you are actually planning to race your car, don't get wrapped up in how fast the auto vs manual is. You won't be able to tell the difference without the other car tearing up the road next to you.

The Mini has a great clutch and a sweet stick. Save yourself $1500 (and much much more if it ever needs repair) and go for the stick.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:42 AM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm 64 and have the MINI with 80K miles and manual transmission. I love it. I don't do much city driving and when I do, the manual is a pain.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:36 AM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had manual, dual clutch and conventional automatic cars. Went with the 6-speed Sport Auto on the F56S because the wife has to be able to use the car.

Pros:
-Shifts are crisp and immediate especially on Sport mode.
-Paddle shifter is intuitive to use, left paddle downshift, right paddle upshift. Nicely sized, easy to find during spirited driving.
-Able to switch between full auto or manual shifting depending on traffic.

Cons:
-I hate the auto upshift!! The only way for me to turn off the auto upshift is to turn off DSC. I often find myself double up shifting especially on the lower gears.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:49 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Manual. No question.

Here's the thing. Manuals are dying off and the list of new cars available with a manual transmission is getting smaller each year. Get a manual while you can and have a blast, even if that means sitting in traffic.

My evening commute takes me an hour to go 13 miles and I do it with a manual. I have no regrets whatsoever. Watch the traffic ahead of you, space yourself accordingly and it's no worse than an automatic.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
>My evening commute takes me an hour to go 13 miles and I do it with a manual.

Wow! No wonder so many people are moving from IL to Colorado

Old 07-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Conrad_Thomaier
>My evening commute takes me an hour to go 13 miles and I do it with a manual.

Wow! No wonder so many people are moving from IL to Colorado
My commute would not deter me from living in Chicago!

Old 07-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Sailorlite
3rd Gear
Around here it seems manual transmissions are extremely rare. Perusing dealers' new car inventories online, it looks like only one MT for every 50 AT's! I wonder what the proportion is for our custom factory builds.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:11 PM
trouble1943
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Have no numbers, but I just took delivery of a 2016 Cooper S with tuner kit and auto with paddle shifters. Blast to drive and no pain to left arthritic knee. Never drive a manual again.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:38 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had many cars with manuals. In fact when I started driving if you didn't own a Buick or similar car you didn't have a choice. My last car before my MINI was a manual FR-S. One thing I learned is as you get old you loose a certain amount of dexterity in different functions that you perform. What was nothing more than instinct suddenly requires a higher degree of concentration to get it done properly. I'll be 82 tomorrow and that's what happened to me. I traded the FR-S in for a MINI with an automatic and I absolutely love the thing. One of the advantages of aging is it doesn't take as much adrenaline to get your juices flowing.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:05 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
I hear you whaap. Of course I'm just a young whippersnapper that turned 69 last week. I'm still driving manuals both in my Vette and MCS and will probably continue to do so as long as physically able. Started looking at autos last year when it looked like I might lose the left arm, but after five surgeries and a bunch of other crap I'm still rowing through the gears. I guess I'm voting for MT as long as there are no physical restrictions.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Age old - auto or manual