F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Wheel Brands

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:33 AM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Brands

What brand of wheels make good quality other than OZ and Enkei?
Other than those 2 it looks like everything is made in China.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 AM
DAVIDLEERAD
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blues Trucker
What brand of wheels make good quality other than OZ and Enkei?
Other than those 2 it looks like everything is made in China.
Not sure where Neuspeed wheels are made, but I hear they are good. Hopefully they are since I just ordered a set...ha!

Edit:
"Every NM Engineering part is designed and engineered in California with manufacturing done between, California, Germany, UK and Japan."

So, at least not made in China 😉

Last edited by DAVIDLEERAD; 02-05-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Both those brands manufacture wheels in China. Many wheels are made in China. Where would you prefer your wheels to be made?

Read up on TireRack, they disclose where all their wheels are made, not that it matters. The casting or forging tech is much more important, as is the wheels JWL and VIA certification.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:56 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
My BBS wheels were made in Germany,
Very good and light wheels, mine weigh about 16 lbs 17 x 7.5

Last edited by blue al; 02-05-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Leg pull about iPhone removed
Old 02-05-2016, 03:55 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Some more options, although no longer available through TireRack:

Volk - TE37 or CE28N series - very expensive but very good forged wheels.

SSR - GTV02 - closer to the best Enkei or OZ models in price and construction.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
You pay a big price for quality or low price it seems. I saw a wheel on tire rack I was interested in. Nice looking and inexpensive. Guy gave a review saying hed already bent a couple and had to replace em.
So you can pay 450-500 for a set and you run the risk of inferior manufacturing and having to replace them or spend 1200 dollars for a set and not worry....................................?

Old 02-06-2016, 01:32 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Blues Trucker
You pay a big price for quality or low price it seems. I saw a wheel on tire rack I was interested in. Nice looking and inexpensive. Guy gave a review saying hed already bent a couple and had to replace em.
So you can pay 450-500 for a set and you run the risk of inferior manufacturing and having to replace them or spend 1200 dollars for a set and not worry....................................?
Or run really fat tires
And protect your investment, or baby the bad stuff....either way it's 4 x 4

Old 02-06-2016, 01:53 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I've run really really low quality wheels and never bent them. I've also bent expensive wheels without really trying.

Notice I didn't mention anything about what tire, driving condition, or how big the pothole? What's important here is context. Some idiot making comments about how he's "already bent a few" means he's probably rally crossing through a parking lot full of concrete curbs and blaming the wheel. Of course he left that part out so he could feel justified in blaming something besides himself. Again, the lack of context discounts the "review".

If you want guaranteed quality, then buy new OEM wheels that have been fully vetted by the OEM's rigorous durability testing. After that, with aftermarket, other than a JWL/VIA cert, you're on your own. Being a good structural engineer will help you determine which wheels have fundamentally weak hoops, spokes, and hub interfaces. You're not going to get an FEA out of the manufacturer or the vendor, it's not realistic.

There's also no such thing as "not worrying" about the wheels, because they're always in danger when you drive. Potholes you didn't avoid, curbs you hit, pallets that got blown off some truck and landed in front of you on the Interstate, that time you decided it was a great idea to go RallyCrossing in an abandoned concrete plant.

Saying something asinine like "this brand" = good quality isn't good advice, because as you've hopefully seen, almost every brand makes good and bad wheels. Want to hedge your bets? Buy wheels that other forum members have already had good success with.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:56 PM
DAVIDLEERAD
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ryephile
i've run really really low quality wheels and never bent them. I've also bent expensive wheels without really trying.

Notice i didn't mention anything about what tire, driving condition, or how big the pothole? What's important here is context. Some idiot making comments about how he's "already bent a few" means he's probably rally crossing through a parking lot full of concrete curbs and blaming the wheel. Of course he left that part out so he could feel justified in blaming something besides himself. Again, the lack of context discounts the "review".

If you want guaranteed quality, then buy new oem wheels that have been fully vetted by the oem's rigorous durability testing. After that, with aftermarket, other than a jwl/via cert, you're on your own. Being a good structural engineer will help you determine which wheels have fundamentally weak hoops, spokes, and hub interfaces. You're not going to get an fea out of the manufacturer or the vendor, it's not realistic.

There's also no such thing as "not worrying" about the wheels, because they're always in danger when you drive. Potholes you didn't avoid, curbs you hit, pallets that got blown off some truck and landed in front of you on the interstate, that time you decided it was a great idea to go rallycrossing in an abandoned concrete plant.

Saying something asinine like "this brand" = good quality isn't good advice, because as you've hopefully seen, almost every brand makes good and bad wheels. Want to hedge your bets? Buy wheels that other forum members have already had good success with.
👍

Old 02-06-2016, 03:11 PM
KazO
2nd Gear
OE wheels, regardless of who/where they're made, tend to be on the stronger side since they need to account for use by 'normal' people doing whoknowswhat. Though this apparently has changed a bit recently, Honda had really rigorous wheel strength standards. That said, I bent a VW OE Ronal wheel I have on my F55, and over the years every wheel I've bent or cracked has been German-made BBSs, though only because almost everything I've had are theirs.

If all you're trying to do is avoid Chinese wheels, there are plenty of US, Japan, and even Russian-made ones out there.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:33 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I've run really really low quality wheels and never bent them. I've also bent expensive wheels without really trying.

Notice I didn't mention anything about what tire, driving condition, or how big the pothole? What's important here is context. Some idiot making comments about how he's "already bent a few" means he's probably rally crossing through a parking lot full of concrete curbs and blaming the wheel. Of course he left that part out so he could feel justified in blaming something besides himself. Again, the lack of context discounts the "review".

If you want guaranteed quality, then buy new OEM wheels that have been fully vetted by the OEM's rigorous durability testing. After that, with aftermarket, other than a JWL/VIA cert, you're on your own. Being a good structural engineer will help you determine which wheels have fundamentally weak hoops, spokes, and hub interfaces. You're not going to get an FEA out of the manufacturer or the vendor, it's not realistic.

There's also no such thing as "not worrying" about the wheels, because they're always in danger when you drive. Potholes you didn't avoid, curbs you hit, pallets that got blown off some truck and landed in front of you on the Interstate, that time you decided it was a great idea to go RallyCrossing in an abandoned concrete plant.

God points. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 AM
RDSJCW
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Why not buy Team Dynamic wheels made in the UK especially for f56 Mini's
Super light weight @ ~18lbs!

This 18x8 set gets mounted this spring after pothole season is over with 225-35-18's

Attached Thumbnails Wheel Brands-img_2913.jpg   Wheel Brands-img_2914.jpg   Wheel Brands-img_2915.jpg   Wheel Brands-img_2916.jpg  
Old 02-08-2016, 07:57 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by RDSJCW
Why not buy Team Dynamic wheels made in the UK especially for f56 Mini's
Super light weight @ ~18lbs!

This 18x8 set gets mounted this spring after pothole season is over with 225-35-18's
I'm waiting patiently to see those babies on the car! Would be awesome if 235/35's would fit without rubbing. But that's hoping for too much I know.

Good Luck!

John

Old 02-08-2016, 07:59 AM
RDSJCW
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
I'm waiting patiently to see those babies on the car! Would be awesome if 235/35's would fit without rubbing.

Good Luck!

John
Me too!! Im still on the fence on tire size. I know 225-35 will work. Another 10mm width though for 235 is pushing the limit.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:24 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cristo
Some more options, although no longer available through TireRack:

Volk - TE37 or CE28N series - very expensive but very good forged wheels.

SSR - GTV02 - closer to the best Enkei or OZ models in price and construction.
I can vouch for them. Volks are usually insanely lightweight. Very pleased with the quality of mine. And they balanced really well with minimal added weight.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Pertplus
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaque_Mate
I can vouch for them. Volks are usually insanely lightweight. Very pleased with the quality of mine. And they balanced really well with minimal added weight.
Indeed they are! I am getting my G25s installed tomorrow!