F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Heated Seats not hot enough?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Wrathen
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heated Seats not hot enough?

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a certain temp that the seats are supposed to get to? why I ask is that I just picked up my car a week ago and due to lower back pain even though I live in Florida I use my heated seats almost daily. Well I noticed it when I first got the car that the full 3 dots on my new 2015 MCS wasnt as "hot" as I expected my wife's 2012 Coupe S seats are alot warmer. Yesterday I let the wife drive the new car and I was in the passenger seat of the new MCS and noticed that the passenger seat gets alot hotter than the driver's seat. So I have a temperature gun and was thinking about doing some tests to see how hot it will get. I was wondering if this is a warranty thing or if its something I'll just have to deal with.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:48 AM
RichSz
3rd Gear
I asked the same thing when I got my 2015 MCS. The seats didn't heat up as high as a 2014 F56 loaner they lent me. My salesman explained that people complained the seats were too hot so MINI brought the temperature down.

It never made sense to me why someone wouldn't just set it to 2 or 1 if 3 was too hot but that's what I was told.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Wrathen
Neutral
Originally Posted by RichSz
I asked the same thing when I got my 2015 MCS. The seats didn't heat up as high as a 2014 F56 loaner they lent me. My salesman explained that people complained the seats were too hot so MINI brought the temperature down.

It never made sense to me why someone wouldn't just set it to 2 or 1 if 3 was too hot but that's what I was told.
ok maybe that's it. I'm going to wait till early one morning or late one night when there is no sun on the seats and get my temperature gun out. test resting temp, then turn on go to 3 dots of heat on both my car and the wife's let them run 5mins test the temps both both driver and passenger sets on both cars. how it works out maybe its ok, but I'm with you if 3 dots is too hot for you drop it to 2 or 1, let those of us who liked how hot it was use 3 dots.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:26 PM
dcrna1
1st Gear
My 16' will burn you up. Even on 1 bar

Old 10-06-2015, 03:43 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2008 MINI Cooper S would burn my lower back on level 3...it was way too much for a human being to endure.

On my 2015 MINI with it set to level 3 it literally burns my lower back.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:17 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Well both seats should be the same temperature, and the OP says they're not, so something's probably wrong. There was another thread where the guy was complaining about his seat not being hot enough, that it reached a temperature and the heat quit, like a thermostat lol. The guy at the dealership actually told him that's the way they're supposed to work!!!!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:50 PM
Landspeeder
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are driving in the 'green' mode, you have told the car that you want to operate in a fuel efficient manner. The car responds by dialing back the output of the seat heaters and window heaters (if you have turned them on) as they need a lot of juice and puts a load on the charging system and therefore the engine as well. This is referred to in your owners manual on pg.157 for the 2014 MY.

My 2014 Cooper can really cook your buns if the outside temp and interior temp is cool. As everything warms up...particularly the interior temp, the heaters do seem to cut back. You may see this as a flaw, but it is probably a CYA design to avoid the McDonald's hot coffee effect!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:55 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Landspeeder
If you are driving in the 'green' mode, you have told the car that you want to operate in a fuel efficient manner. The car responds by dialing back the output of the seat heaters and window heaters (if you have turned them on) as they need a lot of juice and puts a load on the charging system and therefore the engine as well. This is referred to in your owners manual on pg.157 for the 2014 MY.

My 2014 Cooper can really cook your buns if the outside temp and interior temp is cool. As everything warms up...particularly the interior temp, the heaters do seem to cut back. You may see this as a flaw, but it is probably a CYA design to avoid the McDonald's hot coffee effect!
Well thank you...I didn't know that.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:25 AM
LordWinslow
2nd Gear

Good to know I can still roast my body in my car I had the seats on the other night when it got down to the high 30's and they seems plenty warm enough on the first setting.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
If you are driving in the 'green' mode, you have told the car that you want to operate in a fuel efficient manner. The car responds by dialing back the output of the seat heaters and window heaters (if you have turned them on) as they need a lot of juice and puts a load on the charging system and therefore the engine as well. This is referred to in your owners manual on pg.157.

So using a seat heater means you get worse gas mileage? It's like the driver isn't smart enough to adjust the seat heat temperature himself. Really? I'm glad my car doesn't do that. The seats heat up just fine, and low is usually enough.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:04 PM
RichSz
3rd Gear
Maybe it's my seat choice but I can leave mine on 3 all day without any discomfort. It's unfortunate because I prefer the seats get HOT.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:44 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can turn the green cllmate control off in the settings.