F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 US opens investigation of BMW/Mini

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:30 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by g34343greg
the fix was a stupid piece of foam glued to the plastic interior panel. I kinda doubt that this would be the difference in life or death for anyone.

I can't see why you would rush to fix this either.
The fix is good for a few tenths of a g reduction in transmitted acceleration. I agree it doesn't sound like a significant amount, but those that use the rear seats for their loved ones, you'd have to have antisocial personality disorder to avoid getting the fix done.

Surely you've received packages from UPS, FedEx, et al. The difference between a well packaged box and one with zero packaging material makes all the difference whether the good arrive intact or broken. People have careers in Package Engineering for a reason.

So, unless you're a medical PhD that can make a qualified statement on survivable g-force levels, I disagree that the retrofit is "stupid".

Old 10-02-2015, 09:00 PM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by g34343greg
the fix was a stupid piece of foam glued to the plastic interior panel. I kinda doubt that this would be the difference in life or death for anyone.

I can't see why you would rush to fix this either.

If it makes a difference in the safety of the passengers than it's great regardless of how it's done. If BMW was slow on the uptake to put in place the fix than they really don't appear all that concerned about the well being of their customers. Not that I suspect they would be anyway.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:14 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
side impact

Originally Posted by HogWldFLTR
If it makes a difference in the safety of the passengers than it's great regardless of how it's done. If BMW was slow on the uptake to put in place the fix than they really don't appear all that concerned about the well being of their customers. Not that I suspect they would be anyway.
Kind of like the VA really cared about the vets.
People on this site have totally disregarded the fact that the rear passenger impact zone was within their margin. And after BMW decided to add more foam, the Feds got on the bandwagon. Like was said on this site before, the feds are just covering their asses.
Oh, and by the way, my '15F56s auto gets better mileage than the EPA numbers.
If some of you are so worried, go buy another car.

Last edited by dpcompt; 10-02-2015 at 09:16 PM. Reason: fix
Old 10-02-2015, 10:44 PM
Conrad_Thomaier
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
^^^How did your car get the recall fix if the "campaign was never done"? That is absolutely contradictory.
My car was done a few weeks ago.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:44 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
I passed. The rear seats are folded down in Gollum, and stay that way.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 10-03-2015, 09:22 AM
HorseWithNoName
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration clearly give Mini the opportunity to correct the issue. Now it’s time for the NHTSA to motivate MINI with a mounting fine of a million dollars a day retroactive back to the date of notification until the issue is resolved.
I’m pro-MINI and Business, but promptly addressing safety issues should always tip the scales of the financial risk management guys into immediate action to resolve.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:09 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by HorseWithNoName
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration clearly give Mini the opportunity to correct the issue. Now it’s time for the NHTSA to motivate MINI with a mounting fine of a million dollars a day retroactive back to the date of notification until the issue is resolved.
I’m pro-MINI and Business, but promptly addressing safety issues should always tip the scales of the financial risk management guys into immediate action to resolve.
Well said! I'm pro business but not pro corporations "self policing". Corporations can not be trusted as their main objective is making money. We have seen proof of this time and time again.
This is why we need someone looking after "our" interests. It always sounds good "financially speaking" to have a small government but the reality is that without the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and other similar government watchdogs we would not much better than the society depicted in "The Matrix". Look how long to it took to discover what the cigarette companies were really up to......making money at all costs.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:56 AM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dpcompt
Kind of like the VA really cared about the vets.
People on this site have totally disregarded the fact that the rear passenger impact zone was within their margin. And after BMW decided to add more foam, the Feds got on the bandwagon. Like was said on this site before, the feds are just covering their asses.
Oh, and by the way, my '15F56s auto gets better mileage than the EPA numbers.
If some of you are so worried, go buy another car.
Mini should have been the ones covering their asses by fast compliance. Anytime a corporation takes profits instead of safety as a priority then they deserve to be slapped.