F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Runflats - keep or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 05:40 PM
Sailorlite
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Runflats - keep or replace?

Are runflats any good these days, or do we just endure them until replacement time - and then install good conventional tires?

I'm considering replacing the runflats immediately and finding a place to store them until I eventually trade or sell the car. But then of course I'd be driving around praying for no flats - somewhat nervously.

If runflats are now improved over those available 5-10 years ago, then there's no problem - just run 'em forever. But in the back of my mind wouldn't I be thinking there are better tires out there (smoother, quieter, better handling, higher mileage)?

What's the smart way to deal with runflats?

Old 02-26-2015, 06:09 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
IMO suspension systems in the MINI's have improved so when matched with OEM run-flats the ride is not as harsh. ( F models )

And, if you have Pirelli run-flats on your new MINI they are covered by Pirelli for road hazard replacement for first full year...( tire only no labor )

Some dealers will honor that at check out, others will have the owner pay the repair bill and then submit that claim to Pirelli for you. Takes a while for reimbursement but could save you almost $300.00 per tire ! ( Pirelli Centurato P7 205/45/17 )

Old 02-26-2015, 07:03 PM
rataczak
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would run them until they are worn out! Then go to non run-flats.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:12 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Runflats

I am on my third MINI, '08s with sports suspension and 17" wheels, '12s with standard suspension and 16" wheels, and my current '15s with 17" wheels.
My new car rides better than my previous MINIS even after the tires on my older MINIS were replaced with non runflats.
I get the runflat hate with the Gen1 and Gen2, but the Gen3 has the ride and handling dialed in.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:26 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I get the debate.
But we are a one car family and half the time I'm on my bike somewhere and my wife has the little ones with her in the MINI somewhere. We are the target market.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:03 PM
kyleshelton
1st Gear
I had a 2009 Clubman S. My runflats were horrible. They only lasted 24K miles. Noisy as ever. Couldn't wait to get out of them. Replace with non-runflats and much better.

My '15 MCS has runflats (17" tentacle) and they are quiet and handle well. They are better than my non-runflats on my Clubman

However, I will likely run them out and replace with the with non-runflats.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:18 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
Might as well get the value out of what you have then replace with regular all seasons. Be prepared, though, to have some tire shops refuse to replace RF tires with non RFs. An independent shop will be much more flexible. There are many discussions about this issue on the forum.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:47 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I ordered my car with hi performance rf tires. They were really good and quiet to. Now ruin high performance Michelin. They are very slightly stickier but are noisier and these are 215's....

Old 02-27-2015, 08:29 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Had 2007 MCS, the runflats were pretty bad, replaced with nonrunflats at about 28k. Better ride. Current 2014 Coupe with RFs rides way better and I've got Sport suspension and the Coupe's dampers are different than your hatchbacks. I keep em at 34 PSI and it rides good. Not as smooth as your cars though, yours has a softer ride for sure. I'd use RFs if I were you. The thing is they are twice the price to replace when they wear out.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:19 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
New to minis (2015 mcs), but not to sport cars. My car came with 16" Pirelli run flats. I find the ride really good. the tires hold the road well, the ride is firm, but not jarring. What's more, at this stage of my life, I am unwilling to deal with a flat on non - run flat tires without a spare. Obviously, I can't compare the run flats on my car to non - run flats since my vehicle is new. That being said, I have been so impressed with how well tuned the car is to the tires.... good job mini!

Old 03-01-2015, 08:37 AM
TheUPSman
1st Gear
I had a '12 CM with runflats and opted for the insurance on them. Had 3 replaced no charge over the course of a couple years. Was a no brainer going with insurance again on my '15 F56 so I'll stick with the runflats. Ride seems pretty good as it is anyway.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:08 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
Am curious about UPSman and the fact that he went through three run flat tires in a couple of years. I am wondering if he went with insurance because the cost of run flat tires or are the tires more susceptible to premature failure compared to regular tires. I ask because I just bought my '15 MCS with 16" run flats. They feel really good, but I have no experience as to whether they are subject to premature failure vs. ordinary tires. Thanks in advance for any insights.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:58 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
The differences between the two would be pot hole impact....With regular tires the impact is absorbed through the entire tire usually a no issue. But since run flats have stiffer sidewalls, after a pot hole hit a bubble below the outer rubber skin sometimes develops making the tire a potential blow out hazard requiring replacement.

The RF tires were originally designed for cars running the autobahn, they are very safe /reliable and have some very good merits in using them.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:54 PM
nlam2001
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
The differences between the two would be pot hole impact....With regular tires the impact is absorbed through the entire tire usually a no issue. But since run flats have stiffer sidewalls, after a pot hole hit a bubble below the outer rubber skin sometimes develops making the tire a potential blow out hazard requiring replacement.

The RF tires were originally designed for cars running the autobahn, they are very safe /reliable and have some very good merits in using them.
I bought my 2015 Countryman all 4 s , after driving 2000 miles with the run flats i decided to switch to regular tires and let me tell you is like night and day the regular tires made my car in my opinion ride the way it should. The run flats were good on highway driving but local driving was terrible.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:18 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
Thanks for explanation, Gray Raven

Old 03-01-2015, 04:47 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
All I do is go at 34PSI instead of 38. It makes a lot of difference in the ride and the handling seems the same to me even on twisties. Easier then swapping out tires and way cheaper.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Emmons1983
1st Gear
Well, here's a timely story. I just picked up my brand new MCS from the dealer on Friday and was out of town over the weekend so it just sat in my driveway until Monday. On Monday I was halfway from Detroit to Indie (160 miles on the car) when all of a sudden the car starts chiming and telling me that I have a flat right rear tire. At first I didn't believe it because the vehicle wasn't driving any different than before, but I immediately slowed down and pulled off into the rest stop that was conveniently located a mile up the road. Sure enough, I could push the sidewalls in easily with my fingers, and the onboard computer had the PSI at 0. The rest stop was in Portage, OH, and I'm not familiar with that area so I tried to use the Mini Nav to find a tire repair shop on my route up the road a bit. Unfortunately, apparently the MINI gods deemed tire repair shops an unnecessary Points of Interest addition, so I was stuck with just googling repair shops in the area.

In case you haven't had the good fortunate of trying to get a same day replacement for the Runflat all-season tires on the MCS, let me tell you: it ain't happening. I called probably 10 different tire shops, from Discount Tire, Belle Tire, Walmart Tire Shop on down to the mom and pop shops as I got more desperate. The story was all the same: we can order it for you and have it tomorrow or the next day. But here's the thing: I needed to be in Indie that day for business. I've never owned a vehicle that I couldn't just pop into a tire shop and pick up a replacement tire if I needed to.

Out of options at this point, I drove on back roads about 30 miles to a mom and pop place in Findlay, OH to see if they could repair the tire so I could at least get to Indie. The guy said there was a hole in the tire, like I ran over a nail, and it was in an area that he could fix it, but the tire was kind of hot from being driven on flat and if he got the tire off and it was all tore up inside he wouldn't be able to get it back on and I'd be stuck there until he could get me a new one. I took a deep breath and told him to go ahead and try, and he was able to fix it. He said the tire didn't appear to be in too bad of shape, but there was a "line"(?) on the inside, I guess where it had been in contact with the metal of the rim while I was driving on it while flat. He said I should look into getting it replaced while here in Indie.

Now here's my thoughts on this:

If I hadn't had run flats, I probably would have had to pull over on the side of the road and call a tow truck, which is a huge pain in the ***. But once the tow truck got me to a tire shop, maybe there would have been a higher chance of them carrying a tire that fits so I could be on my way. The run flats are also considerably more expensive to replace than regular tires.

I've never experienced a "blow out" on the freeway with regular tires before, so I'm not sure how much more dangerous it would have been. But seeing as it was in the right rear, I shoudnt have lost control too badly, and people have been dealing with blowouts on the freeway with regular tires for almost 100 years now, so it wouldn't have been the end of the world in any case.

I'm trying to decide whether I should just replace my right rear with a new Runflat, or if I should replace all 4 with normal tires. Thoughts?

Old 03-03-2015, 12:44 PM
nlam2001
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Emmons1983
Well, here's a timely story. I just picked up my brand new MCS from the dealer on Friday and was out of town over the weekend so it just sat in my driveway until Monday. On Monday I was halfway from Detroit to Indie (160 miles on the car) when all of a sudden the car starts chiming and telling me that I have a flat right rear tire. At first I didn't believe it because the vehicle wasn't driving any different than before, but I immediately slowed down and pulled off into the rest stop that was conveniently located a mile up the road. Sure enough, I could push the sidewalls in easily with my fingers, and the onboard computer had the PSI at 0. The rest stop was in Portage, OH, and I'm not familiar with that area so I tried to use the Mini Nav to find a tire repair shop on my route up the road a bit. Unfortunately, apparently the MINI gods deemed tire repair shops an unnecessary Points of Interest addition, so I was stuck with just googling repair shops in the area.

In case you haven't had the good fortunate of trying to get a same day replacement for the Runflat all-season tires on the MCS, let me tell you: it ain't happening. I called probably 10 different tire shops, from Discount Tire, Belle Tire, Walmart Tire Shop on down to the mom and pop shops as I got more desperate. The story was all the same: we can order it for you and have it tomorrow or the next day. But here's the thing: I needed to be in Indie that day for business. I've never owned a vehicle that I couldn't just pop into a tire shop and pick up a replacement tire if I needed to.

Out of options at this point, I drove on back roads about 30 miles to a mom and pop place in Findlay, OH to see if they could repair the tire so I could at least get to Indie. The guy said there was a hole in the tire, like I ran over a nail, and it was in an area that he could fix it, but the tire was kind of hot from being driven on flat and if he got the tire off and it was all tore up inside he wouldn't be able to get it back on and I'd be stuck there until he could get me a new one. I took a deep breath and told him to go ahead and try, and he was able to fix it. He said the tire didn't appear to be in too bad of shape, but there was a "line"(?) on the inside, I guess where it had been in contact with the metal of the rim while I was driving on it while flat. He said I should look into getting it replaced while here in Indie.

Now here's my thoughts on this:

If I hadn't had run flats, I probably would have had to pull over on the side of the road and call a tow truck, which is a huge pain in the ***. But once the tow truck got me to a tire shop, maybe there would have been a higher chance of them carrying a tire that fits so I could be on my way. The run flats are also considerably more expensive to replace than regular tires.

I've never experienced a "blow out" on the freeway with regular tires before, so I'm not sure how much more dangerous it would have been. But seeing as it was in the right rear, I shoudnt have lost control too badly, and people have been dealing with blowouts on the freeway with regular tires for almost 100 years now, so it wouldn't have been the end of the world in any case.

I'm trying to decide whether I should just replace my right rear with a new Runflat, or if I should replace all 4 with normal tires. Thoughts?
I replaced mine rf thru discount tire, i got the lifetime certificates just in case i have a flat they are everywhere, plus i have roadside assistance thru my insurance for up to 100 miles free tow.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Sailorlite
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a place to store the 3 almost new runflats? If so, store 'em and put 4 normals on. When it's time to sell or trade the car buy a fourth runflat - then you can offer it with 4 very good rf tires.

Or, just replace the bad tire now and be done with it.

What I wouldn't do is to continue to drive on the repaired tire. I don't think I've ever even heard of repairing a rf tire. Generally they're just replaced.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:39 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I had a couple RFs patched at Discount Tire, nails. Drove the hell out of them afterward. They cost $250/per so that's an expensive nail. The funny thing is I replaced them with non RFs and no nails in 4 years!

Old 03-05-2015, 11:30 PM
Emmons1983
1st Gear
Yeah, I ended up going to Discount and trading in the runflats for a set of Continental Control Sport All Season tires. The right is so much better - with the runflats, I felt like I needed to pull over and check for wheel damage every time I hit a bump or pothole.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:08 AM
sbninja
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced my factory rims and tires last week (conti RF's)

They gave a hard jarring ride. Replaced them because I hit a pothole, and as posted above, it damaged the tire creating a bubble in the side wall. This happened last year too, except the sidewall completely blew out.

Only a few days on new Michelin pilot sport AS/3's. Huge difference in ride comfort.

Bumps don't knock me into another lane anymore

Old 03-07-2015, 01:25 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Replace. Terrible tires.Noisy. Harsh riding.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:07 PM
nlam2001
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sbninja
I just replaced my factory rims and tires last week (conti RF's)

They gave a hard jarring ride. Replaced them because I hit a pothole, and as posted above, it damaged the tire creating a bubble in the side wall. This happened last year too, except the sidewall completely blew out.

Only a few days on new Michelin pilot sport AS/3's. Huge difference in ride comfort.

Bumps don't knock me into another lane anymore
I replaced mine at 2200 miles , and the ride is so different much better.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:04 AM
cptsilver
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I had a couple RFs patched at Discount Tire, nails. Drove the hell out of them afterward. They cost $250/per so that's an expensive nail. The funny thing is I replaced them with non RFs and no nails in 4 years!
Didn't know about this trade-in service. How much did they offer you and how new were your tires? I may look into that option myself.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Runflats - keep or replace?