F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Sports Mode Setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumper. Do you have an article or the word from someone in the know that says that it is more than throttle response between Sport and Mid modes? A quick throttle drop-off could do that - give you more pops. I have little to no experience with green mode but doubt that the timing is changed. I honestly do not know though.
What I do know is every article I have read says the same thing. The journalists' would have been told what was going on at the launch event. If the engine timing was remapped and there were differences in boost pressures wouldn't Mini have told the people reviewing the cars?
I am not saying you are wrong on this - just asking for your sources.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:26 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Thumper. Do you have an article or the word from someone in the know that says that it is more than throttle response between Sport and Mid modes? A quick throttle drop-off could do that - give you more pops. I have little to no experience with green mode but doubt that the timing is changed. I honestly do not know though.
What I do know is every article I have read says the same thing. The journalists' would have been told what was going on at the launch event. If the engine timing was remapped and there were differences in boost pressures wouldn't Mini have told the people reviewing the cars?
I am not saying you are wrong on this - just asking for your sources.
I have it in an email, but no I'm not going to post it. Running less boost the timing obviously has to be changed along with it, along with fueling.

They wouldn't necessarily tell journalists all that...less is more sometimes with them. All that journalists and all but probably 3% of end consumers need to know, is what the end result is of switching between sport, mid, and green. I do have literature somewhere where it lists the 0-60 times between the 3 modes and they are all distinctly different. If it was simply a change in the throttle mapping as it was on the R56, the times would be the same.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:05 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CobraBob
I believe it changes more than throttle response and steering. I have to believe that it changes fuel delivery and maybe even turbo boost as well. Yes, throttle response is definitely heightened, but WOT runs from a start in the three modes feels very different. In Green mode, WOT from 1st gear feels like I lost 2 cylinders or most boost. Darn right horrible. Mid mode is a compromise that feels like some power has been lost. Beyond throttle tip in. Sport mode gives me what I wanted from my MINI S to begin with. Sharp throttle response and full-on power through the RPM range. I would love to know exactly what changes are made with the computer in Green, Mid and Sport modes. I just have to believe that if you put this car on a dyno, and did 3 pulls (Green, Mid and Sport), you'd see a big difference in fwhp and torque between Green and Sport.
Bob = want you to try something for me. Not sure what kind of stereo you have. I have the HK. I unplugged mine (left side panel) in the boot. Just push a button and pull the plug. If you don't have HK pull the radio fuse in the back of the glove box.
Now drive your car in mid and sport mode with just the "drivetrain" enabled.
Now what do you think about the sound of the engine and the difference between the 2 modes???
Thumper - try the same thing.... it is shocking!

Old 04-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Geoarch
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J_L
I have an S with manual trans, with the basic orange screen, with sport suspension, in the US. I don't see that menu. I do have an item at the bottom that says "configure green," but nothing about sport. I guess because I have nothing else to adjust- no auto trans or dynamic suspension?
I know this is 3 years old, but I just picked up a base with manual transmission and the orange screen. When I use the switch at the base of my shifter, car doesn’t even indicate sport vs. green. Wondering if it should? (if yours does?)

Old 04-02-2018, 09:46 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Does somebody use the original driving modes, to switch mapping, say from 210 to 300 HP :-)

Old 04-03-2018, 12:42 AM
tommydh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by allhailpoptart
I use this BT adapter from Amazon along with the Torque Pro Android app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque

I've used this setup in a 2003 Audi A4 turbo, a 2013 WRX and soon to be my 2015 Justa. It's worked well on everything so far. Gauges galore and it hooks into a lot more than you'd expect.
I use the ELM 327 BT adapter with torque pro. Only thing I wish I could get is Oil Pressure but I agree more sensor availability than I can digest.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:46 AM
tommydh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
I have it in an email, but no I'm not going to post it. Running less boost the timing obviously has to be changed along with it, along with fueling.

They wouldn't necessarily tell journalists all that...less is more sometimes with them. All that journalists and all but probably 3% of end consumers need to know, is what the end result is of switching between sport, mid, and green. I do have literature somewhere where it lists the 0-60 times between the 3 modes and they are all distinctly different. If it was simply a change in the throttle mapping as it was on the R56, the times would be the same.
I can say from watching my gauges on Torque, A/F is a little different, boost map is different, and I am guessing timing would have to be effected also. I can see difference in boost at same rpm in each mode by a cpl pounds.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Kazmini
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can say that switching from Mid to Sport while driving will show you what the changes are immediately.

Without moving your foot, you'll feel acceleration and if you just turn the wheel a bit, you'll feel the steering has tightened. I'm in florida, but even Mid and Sport on these flat roads make a huge difference in how hard or soft the ride is. Engine power in Sport is significantly greater immediately compared to Mid.

When switching from Mid down to Green, you immediately feel a loss of power. The steering and suspension don't change, but the way the engine acts will make you feel the need to drive more environmentally-friendly.

The sound in all three are completely different, imo.

The clutch in Mid definitely engages more softly than Sport, and to be honest, I think the engine doesn't have enough power to even think about any care in the clutch when shifting--for me it's always terribly rough. I'm in third gear before I even get inside of the intersection following the Tips, but it's been quite the ride already..

I mainly drive in sport, and calmly, knowing a quick reaction will be rewarded. I honestly find Mid and Green to be quick slow and dangerous when it comes to navigating South Florida traffic.

I also think she floats too much in mid/green mode, as far as the steering wheel goes. She doesn't require much input in any of the three modes, but I like the giving only the slightest touch as I do in Sport.