F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Every 2014 Mini had swirled paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:16 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I can't remember what they called it, but I don't think it was opti-coat. I'll have to check when I get home. They said they apply it to every new car and I can't imagine they're applying opti-coat to every vehicle that comes in at no cost.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:03 PM
MiniJeanne
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danjreed

Most dealers detail shops install DISO at no charge (dealer installed swirl option).
LOL, DISO - good one!

Old 06-12-2014, 02:47 PM
jgk6502
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by red bread
Yeah, a little. But it's no big deal, just poor practice. I clay and polish my cars at least twice a year, and even after twelve years of that, my old M Coupe's paint thickness was only down a few mils from new.
I hope you mean microns instead of mils.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...s-writeup.html

That stuff (opti-coat) is not snake oil. It's actually a 1-2mil thick coating over top of the existing clear coat. It's labor intensive to apply.
Opti-coat is 2 microns, not 2 mils.

Could be buffer trails or poor washing and drying technique and gear. I can't imagine a detailer getting paid enough by a dealer to polish cars. I was at my local dealer and there were a few F56 mini's with holograms. A poor gray one had them in the middle of the bonnet.

Your poor car. Usually easy to correct. I had 5 door dings fixed by PDR and one section was left with holograms. It was easily corrected with a light polish, black LC foam pad and 4 passes with my Griots polisher.

If you wash and dry your car with terry cloth towels or old t-shirts, you definitely have swirls and/or spider-webs.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:58 PM
red bread
2nd Gear
Ha, yes, my mistake.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Crevier Swirls!
BY Hand....
what product and fabric do you use to remove swirls?

Old 06-13-2014, 05:34 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You've got lots of options . I used Prima Swirl on mine but I applied it with a random orbital polisher. You can do it by hand but your results may vary.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:52 AM
gtmotor
2nd Gear
I've requested that my car be delivered with the plastic still on. I will remove it myself at the dealership if they need to check a box for their own inspection.

We'll see if they abide to this... they are well aware of how "detail oriented" (aka ****) I am about things.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Melor
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I clayed and waxed the new mini over the past weekend. Swirls largely gone, but still a few present. I bet a second application of wax would kill the remaining few. The moonwalk gray color doesn't show the swirls as easily as some of the other ones, fortunately.

Paul

Old 06-24-2014, 10:08 AM
SeppTB
4th Gear
Took delivery of mine and I'm happy to report there were no swirls present that I could see! Some hologramming (or maybe just a smudge) in one section, rather minor, I ran a microfiber drying cloth once over it and it was gone. I had a few water spots on the roof, must not have been dried perfectly, but that was it. It rain this morning and those disappeared.

This is how my paint looked right from the dealer:
Every 2014 Mini had swirled paint-viqrcza.jpg

Old 06-24-2014, 12:09 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know, there may be one other possibility--they may come from the MINI distribution center that way. My dealer is new, and while still under construction the manager mentioned that as soon as they got their building occupancy permit from the city, they'd order already-prepped cars to get them on the lot as soon as possible. I don't know how they're "packaged" for the truck, but apparently they're ready to sell as soon as they're off-loaded.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:20 AM
-AndyH-
Neutral
Hi

I'm in the UK and had the same issue with my new Mini Cooper S. It was delivered to the dealer full of swirls on every panel (including damage to the trim).

The swirls were so bad, that my detailer was unable to correct them due to the very low paint thickness levels on the car. He was worried about burning through the clear coat.

It's taken nearly two months and a lengthy dispute with BMW Mini for them to agree to our rejection of the car. They claim that only two panels were polished in the factory, which cannot be correct.

Here's some pictures from my detailer of the problems - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9688855&type=3

Old 07-26-2014, 03:49 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Swirl marks can be caused by simply drying a washed car with a common towel. I doubt any dealership is taking the time to use a power buffer.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:42 AM
wtwien
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by -AndyH-
Hi

I'm in the UK and had the same issue with my new Mini Cooper S. It was delivered to the dealer full of swirls on every panel (including damage to the trim).

The swirls were so bad, that my detailer was unable to correct them due to the very low paint thickness levels on the car. He was worried about burning through the clear coat.

It's taken nearly two months and a lengthy dispute with BMW Mini for them to agree to our rejection of the car. They claim that only two panels were polished in the factory, which cannot be correct.

Here's some pictures from my detailer of the problems - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9688855&type=3

So what did they ended up doing for you?

Last edited by wtwien; 07-26-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:16 AM
-AndyH-
Neutral
Originally Posted by whaap
Swirl marks can be caused by simply drying a washed car with a common towel. I doubt any dealership is taking the time to use a power buffer.
True, but these were definitely done by a rotary polisher at some point before the car was delivered to the dealer. There were clear instructions for the dealer to not even remove the factory wrapping.

Originally Posted by wtwien
So what did they ended up doing for you?
Ordering a new Mini Cooper S - but it will take the best part of 3-4 months, so it will be 6 months after the original one was delivered.

No mention of compensation.

The bigger worry was the low paint readings. Most new cars are around 120 microns (my BMW was this on average). I think the lowest on the Mini was 64.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:32 AM
wtwien
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
True, but these were definitely done by a rotary polisher at some point before the car was delivered to the dealer. There were clear instructions for the dealer to not even remove the factory wrapping.

Ordering a new Mini Cooper S - but it will take the best part of 3-4 months, so it will be 6 months after the original one was delivered.

The bigger worry was the low paint readings. Most new cars are around 120 microns (my BMW was this on average). I think the lowest on the Mini was 64.
I am having a hard time waiting 2 months for my car. I would ask them to have them pay for some of your options for goodwill.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm actually surprised that Mini is getting you a new car. What do they do with this one? Assuming they are letting you keep the current car until the new one arrives, then you have a new car, and probably a 2015 instead of a 2014, that is a pretty good deal from my perspective.

I certainly hope all cars don't have such thin paint. That is bothersome. I know they were changing over the paint section in the factory before the 2015 production year, I wonder if this corrected that problem?

Old 07-29-2014, 12:46 AM
-AndyH-
Neutral
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I'm actually surprised that Mini is getting you a new car. What do they do with this one? Assuming they are letting you keep the current car until the new one arrives, then you have a new car, and probably a 2015 instead of a 2014, that is a pretty good deal from my perspective.
I have no idea what happens to the delivered Mini - I assume it gets used as a fleet or company car?

The problem for BMW Mini was the swirl marks are a defect, caused by human error. In order for them to be properly removed, the paint levels on most panels would be taken below their acceptable level.

I would never accept having to have panels resprayed on a brand new car before it's been handed over to me. You will never get a factory finish from a bodyshop and I've had a couple of horror stories from their approved bodyshops in the past.

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I certainly hope all cars don't have such thin paint. That is bothersome. I know they were changing over the paint section in the factory before the 2015 production year, I wonder if this corrected that problem?
The paint readings I've seen are completely random on all new Minis - there seems to be no consistency.

According to here http://www.pfonline.com/articles/wat...lina-bmw-plant the average paint thickness should be 120 microns.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:47 PM
spingq
4th Gear
My dealership did a wonderful job applying the custom swirl marks to my brand new 2013 Mini prior to me picking it up. I've washed the car several times (by hand) hoping to remove the horrible wax job, but unfortunately its still there. I guess I'll have to either find some de-waxer or buff it out myself. Can I just buff out whats already on the car, or do I need to add more product to the finish before buffing? I certainly don't want to add a layer of wax ON TOP of the swirl marks and effectively "trap them" underneath.

Attached Thumbnails Every 2014 Mini had swirled paint-swirl-marks-1.jpg  
Old 08-04-2014, 03:02 PM
tattedXB
4th Gear
I noticed that at Irvine Mini as well. Took my countryman in for service and got a loaner. The loaner I had (black) had extensive 'circles' in the paint sadly - I can vouch for this

Old 08-04-2014, 04:52 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 178 Likes on 166 Posts
I was told it wAs because the cars were doing donuts in the spray booth ... In hind sight I realize the booth would be to small for all that pastry.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:11 AM
Sketch
5th Gear
It is NOT the dealerships fault that the swirl marks are there, it's the factory (or more specifically, the port as that is where the final polishing takes place). Most dealerships cannot take the time to polish each and every MINI that comes through to perfection.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:43 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sketch
It is NOT the dealerships fault that the swirl marks are there, it's the factory (or more specifically, the port as that is where the final polishing takes place). Most dealerships cannot take the time to polish each and every MINI that comes through to perfection.

I guess you complain/apply pressure to the people you deal with directly. If enough people make a big enough stink about paint swirls, it will get someone's attention who has some real authority.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:39 AM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I noticed some swirls when I got my car. I clabar'd it, used some Meguiars show car glaze, and then a sealant. Looks perfect.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by russmini
I noticed some swirls when I got my car. I clabar'd it, used some Meguiars show car glaze, and then a sealant. Looks perfect.
For now, but the swirls are still there. I can't believe a manufacturer can do this to their own products. Happened to me twice, both times the result of the dealers service department washing (or scratching) my car after service.