F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 3rd Generation Mini JCW

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:10 AM
bmw_328ci
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Generation Mini JCW

Hi

I am interested in getting either mini S or 3rd generation JCW.I am currently own lancer evolution and it is killing me ,it hardly gives me 10-15 mpg in the city. I need a car the gives me the same or near the performance with a good mpg and I think the JCW will be a great car for me. Any news when it will be available?

Old 03-08-2014, 03:08 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe it is at least a year away. Maybe someone else can chime in with more accurate info. You can, of course, buy a 2014 MINI S Hardtop (mine is due to arrive in early April) and apply the regular performance upgrades (stock HP is 189) from aftermarket tuners like Evolve.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:49 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CobraBob
I believe it is at least a year away. Maybe someone else can chime in with more accurate info. You can, of course, buy a 2014 MINI S Hardtop (mine is due to arrive in early April) and apply the regular performance upgrades (stock HP is 189) from aftermarket tuners like Evolve.
Of course it may be another year (or more) before really good performance upgrades actually show up.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:47 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I've got a 2008 STI and a 2010 JCW hardtop. You're going to miss the power...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using NAMotoring

Old 03-08-2014, 07:55 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
I'm gonna guess it'll have the same numbers as the N20 in the 328i. It's the same engine.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:42 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by bmw_328ci
Hi

I am interested in getting either mini S or 3rd generation JCW.I am currently own lancer evolution and it is killing me ,it hardly gives me 10-15 mpg in the city. I need a car the gives me the same or near the performance with a good mpg and I think the JCW will be a great car for me. Any news when it will be available?
what evo does 10-15mpg in the city? i don't think my 9's ever done worse than 18

Old 03-08-2014, 10:44 PM
bmw_328ci
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kyoo
what evo does 10-15mpg in the city? i don't think my 9's ever done worse than 18
Mine in Evo X with SST , it hardly gives me 18-21 mpg on highway.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 PM
bmw_328ci
1st Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
I've got a 2008 STI and a 2010 JCW hardtop. You're going to miss the power...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using NAMotoring
I am thinking about keeping the Evo as a weekend car and leasing a JCW. I don't think I will wait till next year for the next JCW I might get the S unless it has 240 hp.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:25 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
^ that's what I do - evo as a weekend/project, mini as my autox/daily, beater corolla for 100% dailying duties

Old 03-09-2014, 11:48 AM
StevenZoz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Just for conversation only as this is not based on any (Facts).

I'm thinking that the JCW (Performance-Package) might very well be (Offered) as an "Up-Date" for us that have the 2014 MCS.

I know I could have added that to my 2011 MCS but I decided to wait and see what the 2014 MCS was going to be.

Glad I waited as from what I have read in multiple Posts the 2014 MCS has the same POWER basically as the R-56 JCW MCS.

I don't know that I will do the Up-Grade to the JCW once it is available but I might.

I also think if Mini USA does offer that option it will be Super-Expensive.

T.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:32 AM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Man.....I'm stuck. Order the JCW Coupe' or wait for the F56 JCW? I REALLY love the R56/R58 body style, but I'm thinking the F56, like most other new body styles, will grow on me and I'll end up liking it more.

Plus, if I wait, more than likely all the aftermarket mods will have begun to surface. Definitely wanna toss some coilovers on it.

Decisions, decisions......

Old 03-10-2014, 12:38 PM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Also....very curious to see what the 18" wheel options will be on the JCW? They'll all have to be completely new with the new bolt pattern. Hopefully there's more options than the ugly GP wheels they have on the concept version. I hope they at least stick with something like the Challenge, but in an 18" version.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:21 PM
bmw_328ci
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SoCalledFriend
Man.....I'm stuck. Order the JCW Coupe' or wait for the F56 JCW? I REALLY love the R56/R58 body style, but I'm thinking the F56, like most other new body styles, will grow on me and I'll end up liking it more.

Plus, if I wait, more than likely all the aftermarket mods will have begun to surface. Definitely wanna toss some coilovers on it.

I was going to order MCS today but I decided I will wait for the JCW. I hate waiting

Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM
go_mini
2nd Gear

I would wait for the f56 jcw, atleast thats what i would have done

Old 03-24-2014, 11:40 AM
the matey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those front calipers look pretty big, can't wait to hear the specs on the car.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:00 PM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
I'm thinking that the JCW (Performance-Package) might very well be (Offered) as an "Up-Date" for us that have the 2014 MCS.

I know I could have added that to my 2011 MCS but I decided to wait and see what the 2014 MCS was going to be.

Glad I waited as from what I have read in multiple Posts the 2014 MCS has the same POWER basically as the R-56 JCW MCS.

I don't know that I will do the Up-Grade to the JCW once it is available but I might.

I also think if Mini USA does offer that option it will be Super-Expensive.

T.
I've decided to wait for the 2015 fJCW. Based on everything I've read from http://www.motoringfile.com/ the new fJCW is gonna be between 225hp and 230hp and will slay the new F56 "S" (20% power increase over the F56 S). It's gonna be equipped with BMW's 225i Active Tourer engine (B48B20O0).

The JCW exterior and interior option packages will be available to order with the new F56 possibly as soon as next month, but the actual F56 fJCW won't be available until early next year. Yeah, it's a bit of a wait, but one that's gonna be well worth it in my opinion.

Congrats to all those that have already jumped the gun and ordered a new F56, but I certainly wouldn't have done it for a number of reasons. By the time the F56 fJCW comes out, the current car will be almost a year old, most of the bugs worked out, and a SLEW of aftermarket "modding" options available....specifically coilover suspension options.

Let the REAL wait begin!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:33 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
I've decided to wait for the 2015 fJCW. Based on everything I've read from http://www.motoringfile.com/ the new fJCW is gonna be between 225hp and 230hp and will slay the new F56 "S" (20% power increase over the F56 S). It's gonna be equipped with BMW's 225i Active Tourer engine (B48B20O0).

The JCW exterior and interior option packages will be available to order with the new F56 possibly as soon as next month, but the actual F56 fJCW won't be available until early next year. Yeah, it's a bit of a wait, but one that's gonna be well worth it in my opinion.

Congrats to all those that have already jumped the gun and ordered a new F56, but I certainly wouldn't have done it for a number of reasons. By the time the F56 fJCW comes out, the current car will be almost a year old, most of the bugs worked out, and a SLEW of aftermarket "modding" options available....specifically coilover suspension options.

Let the REAL wait begin!
Hello,

Well I read you and if I wanted the JCW Model and was willing to "Wait" and could "Wait" I would.

Our Warranty is up really quick in the next few months.

Also after talking with the Salesman and Service Consultant, also Service Mgr. on their test drives of the F56.

All of them are so "Impressed" !!!

They Luv the newly improved 6-Spd. Auto Tranny.

The Interior .....

The improved handling ......

The New Super-High-Tech, LED Headlights and LED Fog-Lights.

Plus, it, the 2014 MCS is Faster than their JCW Models they now have and have driven.

So, based on all the above and more, much more, I'm in on the 2014 MCS we have on order.

Terry

Old 03-25-2014, 11:05 AM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hello,

Well I read you and if I wanted the JCW Model and was willing to "Wait" and could "Wait" I would.

Our Warranty is up really quick in the next few months.

Also after talking with the Salesman and Service Consultant, also Service Mgr. on their test drives of the F56.

All of them are so "Impressed" !!!

They Luv the newly improved 6-Spd. Auto Tranny.

The Interior .....

The improved handling ......

The New Super-High-Tech, LED Headlights and LED Fog-Lights.

Plus, it, the 2014 MCS is Faster than their JCW Models they now have and have driven.

So, based on all the above and more, much more, I'm in on the 2014 MCS we have on order.

Terry
All solid points you make (except for the F56 being "faster" than the R56 fJCW) and everyone has their own reasoning for which route they go.....as they say, "to each his own".

Everything I've heard (my close friend is an MA and has test driven both F56 models) and read is that the new F56 S is "comparable" in feel to an R56 fJCW from a power and torque standpoint. I've yet to see any data that it's faster? 0-60 is 6.4 for the F56 and 6.1 for the R56 fJCW. That being said, if it is true, then the new fJCW will be a complete powerhouse and even more worth the wait, since it will have 20% more power than the F56 S. Keep in mind that a fJCW is MUCH, MUCH more than a tuned engine (transmission, brakes, suspension, and a slew of aesthetics). Not to mention the fact that having a fJCW puts you in an exclusive group, somewhat similar to having an "M" series car from BMW. For me personally, I'd rather be the exception and not the norm, so for me the fJCW is a no-brainer since I do have the ability to wait (my warranty expired 10,000 miles ago).

And for the record, I only quoted your original post because it sparked though on what I wanted to address in my post.....I wasn't singling you out for any reason other than that.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:59 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
All solid points you make (except for the F56 being "faster" than the R56 fJCW) and everyone has their own reasoning for which route they go.....as they say, "to each his own".

Everything I've heard (my close friend is an MA and has test driven both F56 models) and read is that the new F56 S is "comparable" in feel to an R56 fJCW from a power and torque standpoint. I've yet to see any data that it's faster? 0-60 is 6.4 for the F56 and 6.1 for the R56 fJCW. That being said, if it is true, then the new fJCW will be a complete powerhouse and even more worth the wait, since it will have 20% more power than the F56 S. Keep in mind that a fJCW is MUCH, MUCH more than a tuned engine (transmission, brakes, suspension, and a slew of aesthetics). Not to mention the fact that having a fJCW puts you in an exclusive group, somewhat similar to having an "M" series car from BMW. For me personally, I'd rather be the exception and not the norm, so for me the fJCW is a no-brainer since I do have the ability to wait (my warranty expired 10,000 miles ago).

And for the record, I only quoted your original post because it sparked though on what I wanted to address in my post.....I wasn't singling you out for any reason other than that.
Hi,

I think you are (Wise) to wait for exactly what you want.

In my case, this is "Not" my 2014 MCS, it is my (Wife's).

So ...........

Now you know the complete, (Rest-of-the-Story)

If it were mine I am like you and would have to have the JCW, LOADED !!!

Just the way I roll.

LOL,
Terry

Old 03-25-2014, 05:24 PM
bmw_328ci
1st Gear

I agree with you.I think the new fJCW will be comparable to JCW GP2 (and may be faster) I found these pictures to be honest I like the R56 fJCW more than the F56

Attached Thumbnails 3rd Generation Mini JCW-vergleich02.jpg   3rd Generation Mini JCW-vergleich03.jpg