F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 What features are you getting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:20 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CobraBob
Nice choice, Terry. Post some pics when it arrives. I'll do the same when mine arrives.
Bob ...

Believe me I am a picture taking fellow.

There will be plenty of them.

I look forward to also seeing your's.

T.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:38 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
One thing that's unclear to me is if you order the adjustable/variable dampers (which interest me) will you be able to mod that suspension? I realize the dampers are there to stay, they're adjustable. But can you swap out the rear sway bar or lower the springs after you get it? The most useful single suspension mod is a thicker rear ASB, which is pretty cheap.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:02 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
TBN. Exactly what is the difference. In Canada Sport Suspension is cheaper than VDC but it is stiffer and you can't get it with many of the packages. All the write ups \I've read say the car is way more stable with Sport Suspension.
I have my dealer looking into it.
I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:47 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As with my 2007 MCS I'm loading up with more options than I need, but I can't quite decide on the cornering lights and the spoiler.

At least the lights are functional, so I might do that but the spoiler is as cosmetic as the hood scoop.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:29 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Dw ..and makes your back window and back, much, much more dirty

Old 03-01-2014, 10:02 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dwdyer
As with my 2007 MCS I'm loading up with more options than I need, but I can't quite decide on the cornering lights and the spoiler.

At least the lights are functional, so I might do that but the spoiler is as cosmetic as the hood scoop.
LED Lights with Cornering Lights, YES !!!

Rear Spoiler, No ......

T.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:14 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Dw ..and makes your back window and back, much, much more dirty
Indeed. Gonna pass and go with the fancy lights instead. I'd hoped to get more time out of my 07 but at 102K it is showing its true age.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:56 PM
marcussoori
3rd Gear
Fully loaded MCS for me, red with white top and red color line, diamond punch black leather...

Old 03-02-2014, 08:00 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by marcussoori
Fully loaded MCS for me, red with white top and red color line, diamond punch black leather...
That will be an outstanding combination.

You might find this picture interesting I just saw in an article.

http://www.lamag.com/citythink/ladri...car-big-impact

T.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 AM
conevadr
Neutral
I'm also pondering the sports suspension vs the adaptive dampers. This is for a base hardtop that will see some autox, but will mostly be a daily driver. From the initial reviews from Puerto Rico, It sounds like there is a decent gap between the base and S suspension stiffness. Some reviewers thought the S setup was a bit much on the rough roads, although it was still stable on the bumps.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:45 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
LED Lights with Cornering Lights, YES !!!

Rear Spoiler, No ......

T.
Terry, I went with the cornering lights (so glad I did), but I also ordered the rear spoiler simply as an appearance mod since mine is an 'S'. I know it will mean a bit more necessary cleaning of the rear, but that's okay.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:13 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by conevadr
I'm also pondering the sports suspension vs the adaptive dampers. This is for a base hardtop that will see some autox, but will mostly be a daily driver. From the initial reviews from Puerto Rico, It sounds like there is a decent gap between the base and S suspension stiffness. Some reviewers thought the S setup was a bit much on the rough roads, although it was still stable on the bumps.
We went through this with the R56. The consensus was the SS was mainly slightly thicker front AND rear swaybars, not different springs or dampers. It might be different with the F56, but for $500 it was cheaper to put a 21mm rear bar on the car aftermarket, and that's the one that improves the understeer. The thicker front ASB actually increases understeer a little.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:47 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CobraBob
Terry, I went with the cornering lights (so glad I did), but I also ordered the rear spoiler simply as an appearance mod since mine is an 'S'. I know it will mean a bit more necessary cleaning of the rear, but that's okay.
Hi Bob ...

If this was (My) MCS I would have like you went with the (Rear Spoiler).

But, it is Cathy's and after I asked her 2 or 3 separate times, do you want to add that (Rear Spoiler) ???

Everytime she said instantly, No !!!

I decided to just drop it and move on.

LOL,
Terry

Old 03-03-2014, 12:01 PM
CobraBob
5th Gear
LOL. Smart move.....to drop it and move on. I would have done the same.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:05 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by conevadr
I'm planning on opting for the dampers but not the SS. I have the SS on the '07 I have now, and it's fine, but for a daily driver it is a bit firmer than I'd like. I did move off of runflats finally and that improved it tremendously. I did any track time with it I might consider the SS + dampers, but it's gonna see mostly stop and go traffic, highway, fast food drivethrus, and speed bumps. I can live with a little body roll.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:29 PM
gtmotor
2nd Gear
I am very intrigued with the new base model Cooper. I have a BMW 335i and it looks like the base engine is essentially half of the 3.0 liter turbo BMW engine. If so, it will be an absolutely amazing engine (or "mill" if you want to stick to it's roots )

Here is what we are going with:

Base model F56
Blazing red body color
6-speed manual
Black roof/mirrors
WHITE stripes
Sport package - LED headlights, white turn signals, sport seats
Premium package - HK sound, panoramic roof, auto climate control
Anthracite headliner
BLACK loop spoke wheels

Total MSRP is under $25k so I like that too

Old 03-03-2014, 08:47 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gtmotor
I am very intrigued with the new base model Cooper. I have a BMW 335i and it looks like the base engine is essentially half of the 3.0 liter turbo BMW engine. If so, it will be an absolutely amazing engine (or "mill" if you want to stick to it's roots )

Here is what we are going with:

Base model F56
Blazing red body color
6-speed manual
Black roof/mirrors
WHITE stripes
Sport package - LED headlights, white turn signals, sport seats
Premium package - HK sound, panoramic roof, auto climate control
Anthracite headliner
BLACK loop spoke wheels

Total MSRP is under $25k so I like that too
Man great options and awesome pricing.

T.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:04 PM
gtmotor
2nd Gear
Man great options and awesome pricing.

T.
Thanks! Just stopped by my local dealer today and talked to them. They are checking if one similar to my desired configuration is already in the pipeline. They may be able to switch something out on another car if it's pretty close to what I have to avoid the ~90 day wait

I said I didn't want to buy an F56 till I test drove one. They responded that they wouldn't mind keeping the car in inventory if I didn't like it with no deposit down!! I've been very impressed with the service at this dealership.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:40 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gtmotor
Thanks! Just stopped by my local dealer today and talked to them. They are checking if one similar to my desired configuration is already in the pipeline. They may be able to switch something out on another car if it's pretty close to what I have to avoid the ~90 day wait

I said I didn't want to buy an F56 till I test drove one. They responded that they wouldn't mind keeping the car in inventory if I didn't like it with no deposit down!! I've been very impressed with the service at this dealership.
Sounds like to me that is the right Dealership to work with.

T.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:01 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Ditto. That is a very cooperative dealer.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:25 PM
torpeau
4th Gear
That will be an outstanding combination.

You might find this picture interesting I just saw in an article.

http://www.lamag.com/citythink/ladri...car-big-impact

T.
I'm leaning toward this set-up except w/ 16" wheels. This would be my 1st MINI, and I don't want the rougher ride from the 17s or 18s.

Probably the auto trans -- the first on a personal car of mine, but it accelerates faster. I'm wondering if the AT is the same as the one in the "S", but without the paddles.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Mud flaps? I was looking at a close-up picture of an R53 without mud flaps and beat-up wheel well trim; visited the Configurator and could not find mud flaps. I wonder if they can be ordered? I have the flaps on both MINI's, they look good and protect the body.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 AM
white3
4th Gear
I learned the hard way that unless you order the features you want, it is WAY too expensive to add them later. Thats whats so great with MINI- you can really customize the car. If you go on to most other cars websites and build a car, the options are really limited. Some of them lump everything in a package or two. If you go all out on options though, the price of the car can reach the price of some other very nice cars on the market, including the new BMW 2 series. I know its not a MINI, but I am just saying there are a lot of good cars in the $35+ range. All that being said, If I was replacing my R56 anytime soon, I would be tacking on options like a maniac, price be damned! Thats what MINI's do to you!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:49 AM
russmini
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm a bit annoyed at MINI's option methods. For example they list the automatic at $1,250 on the S, add the paddle shifters and its $250 more, but NOOOO, you have to pay an additional $250 for a JCW leather steering wheel. WTF. Then, the cloth used to be standard, now they are a $750 option. Then the standard wheels on the base model seem to be intentionally ugly so that in order to not look like a goof you have to pony up an additional $750 for decent wheels. $400 for a flash package? Really? And $1,000 for parking assist package? You need this to park a MINI? Sorry for venting but BMW/MINI have gone a bit overboard.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Yeah I built a car last night (again), and the options seem a little pricey in some cases. But that's BMW's style. If you want cheap and simple buy a Mazda. You get your choice of a black interior, or a black interior. The only option's a sunroof, an AT, and the color!

Quick Reply: F55/F56 What features are you getting?