F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Mini Cooper F56 - 2015- Issues when applying breaks

Old 03-24-2019, 11:30 AM
M.AC28
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper F56 - 2015- Issues when applying breaks

Greetings.

I need some help regarding an issue my Mini is currently having.

My car was being used several months ago, with a low reserve of oil. My mini was already indicating that maintenance was due.
I waited a long time to take the car, due to the lack of time I have.

My car started making a very odd sound when you apply the breaks slowly. Which I thought it was because it was time for some new breakpads.
The sound does not happen when I break hard while in the highway, it’s only at very low speeds like less than 5mph.

So, 2 months ago, I took my car to the garage to change its oil and filter.

This is what was done to my car:
•Oil change
•Filter change
•Replacement of breakpads

After that, the sound still was noticeable. So 3 months later I took the car back to the garage and they did this:

•Change of breakpads to a better quality ones
•They treated and cleaned the discs
•Lubricated some parts in the break system

Its been 5 days now, and the sound is still the same, even by having new breakpads and the discs in great condition.

I will attach a video so y’all can hear the sound I am complaining about.

My car would never make a sound when breaking!!

Any suggestions will will be greatly appreciated!

HERE IS THE LINK OF THE VIDEO

Last edited by M.AC28; 03-24-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:42 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
That almost sounds like something suspension/bodywork related rather than brake shoe/caliper/rotor related. Based on your video, it is happening in both reverse and forward, correct? I would think you would need to get the car up on a two-post style lift (i.e.- pick up car on chassis) and cycle the driveline against the brakes to see if you can see something moving (i.e.- blown out bushing??) when the brakes are applied.

I do know that modern brake systems vary the brake pressure bias from the front to the rear as you come down on speed to help balance out brake pad wear and car balance. Because of this, the rear brakes do more work at very low speeds than compared to when you are moving at regular traffic speeds. This would make me look at the rear suspension first and then move to the front if nothing seems to be out of whack in the back.

I might also suggest taking your car to a different shop/garage to have them do an inspection, as your first shop seems to be at the limit of their capabilities based on your description. Good luck.