F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

JCW Exhaust control reverse engineering

Old 04-10-2019, 08:06 PM
reidmefirst
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JCW Exhaust control reverse engineering

I did splurge on my new Clubman, and got it with the JCW Tuning Kit. I will admit that people driving loud cars annoy me. I'll also admit that the popping from this exhaust in sport mode makes me grin just a little.

I'm wondering if anyone has either installed the Tuning Kit themself, or found instructions for doing so? Or bought a kit from ECS Tuning and got a list of what actually comes in the box?

I'm really wondering if the remote control is paired with the infotainment system, or if there is some separate flap control module with bluetooth in it that the remote is paired with. The flap actuators are wired into the car, and there are three wires running from them...so I don't think the actuators themselves are connected to the CAN net (that would require positive actuator voltage, ground, can+ and can- wires...unless they can rely on the chassis for ground, in which case it's possible they are CAN-driven, but I suspect they are driven by some other module).

My reason for wondering about the control is, I am planning to replace my infotainment system (the standard 6.5" 'visual boost' type) with an NBT EVO HU that I picked up from a salvage (gotta have that CarPlay). If the remote control module is paired to the infotainment system, I'll need to figure out how to pair it with the new system I guess...would like to know what I'm getting into first!

Old 04-11-2019, 05:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 595 Likes on 572 Posts
From what I know the remote is controlled and paired to the unit, little box. Its comes in every kit, just not show in that one pic we have of the F54 S All4. Unless someone found different information when testing.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...CW_Tuning_Kit/

Have MINI questions? Need MINI answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
[email protected] | [email protected] | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172
Old 04-11-2019, 08:56 PM
N0B0DY
3rd Gear
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
The valve is controlled by the Bluetooth fob you get. The control box is not controlled by the infotainment system.

The exhaust should come with a certificate to bring to a MINI dealer to flash the tune for you. Not sure if they charge your to do the tune.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:25 PM
vetsvette
Received 383 Likes on 299 Posts
They'll probably charge you for two hours computer time to add the tune. If you have any custom programming be aware that you will probably lose it when they upgrade the ECU.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:06 AM
reidmefirst
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks ECS Tuning, yeah I had wondered if anything else actually came with the kit. I'll have to hunt for my little control box to see where it ends getting installed on a F54 for some playing.

The fob uses a very cheap texas instruments microcontroller, and it looks like it exposes the debugger header when you pull off the battery cap. And I have chipcon debuggers for these controllers. I wonder if I can make a phone app for controlling the flap system, something as a backup to the official remote. Hmmmm =).

Old 04-12-2019, 09:59 AM
bluonyx
3rd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Would there be a way to switch the wiring or settings to reverse the operations, have it always open on startup then double press the button to close it?

Hmmm...

Old 04-12-2019, 02:12 PM
Beemerchef
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bluonyx View Post
Would there be a way to switch the wiring or settings to reverse the operations, have it always open on startup then double press the button to close it?

Hmmm...
That would be excellent as also the car starting in "sport" mode... Doesn't really bother me but quite a non-sense after every stop to put it in "sport" and activate the open flap. That's the only way I like to drive the JCW. I think they should make it as an option to always have it on...