R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Rear bike rack with Rear Park Distance Control? Will alarm sound when in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 02:45 PM
bfromhold
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear bike rack with Rear Park Distance Control? Will alarm sound when in reverse?

I've just been notified that my Mini Cooper S is making it's way across the Ocean. I'm s-o-o-o-o excited!

I'm still debating whether to add the bike rack that fits on the rear of the Mini. Does anyone have this accessory on their Mini? How about installing one with the Rear Park Distance Control? I was told by the dealer I'm buying my car from that the "alarm" would only sound if I had bikes on the rack when I put it in reverse. Another dealer told me the opposite (when in reverse the alarm would sound all the time whether there were bikes on the rack or not). Does anyone have any experience with this that wants to give me their take on it? Any drawbacks to getting the "rear" bike rack? I'm not a fan of the rack on top.

Thanks in advance...

Old 09-04-2006, 04:40 PM
ffwdm5
1st Gear
I've got PDC on my 2003 and a Thule bike rack for the back. The backing alarm only sounds when you have the bikes on the rack. The rest of the time, the sensor does not know the rack is there.

Not sure if you have a rack that comes down beyond the hatch door, but mine stops right at the top of the bumper (locks between the hatch and the bumper) so the PDC does not see the rack at all.

I too have a new cooper on order - should be getting off the boat tomorrow. Woohoo.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:52 PM
soofle
3rd Gear
I've got the roof mounted rack and I gotta say I really like it. I was kinda nervous about having holes drilled in the roof but the dealer (new country motors in CT) did a great job. Its a solid mounting system, doesnt get in the way of my view out the back and it looks kinda cool but thats personal preference there.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:42 PM
rigidjunkie
6th Gear
I have the Mini Fini rack on the back and love it dearly. I do not hav the parking thing, but would think that it would be going crazy when the rack is mounted because the rack is about the same place on the bumper as the sensors. One of my favorite things about the Mini is that when I look back I am seeing the end of the car for the most part. The parking sensors are a total waste on a Mini and the sensors look terrible, in my opinion.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I have both the Sport Link and the PDC. I can confirm that yes, when the Bike Rack is attached to the Sport Link, the PDC sounds constantly, but only when you're in reverse. I don't think it's a big deal, because you are only in reverse for a few seconds, and besides, you should be extra-careful backing up with the bikes attached anyway!

Removal of the bike rack returns the PDC to normal operation. The sport link itself (i.e. the "mount" machine-gun-like holes) does not interfere.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:10 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I have the Miniature hitch receiver on my "S" with a two bike, SportWorks rack. I bought the hitch from OutMotoring, a sponsor on this site, and the hitch is completely hidden when not in use. Unfortunately, once the rack is in place the bike platforms cover the rear bumper face. This definitely causes the back-up alarm to sound whenever the car is in reverse.

Good luck in your choices!
Rich B.