F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 What does the Dynamic Damper Control really do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 11:10 AM
minikevin
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does the Dynamic Damper Control really do?

Hey I have a 17 Clubman S All4 and I havent really messed with the dynamic damper control yet.

What does it exactly do and when should I turn it on/off? Also can you use it with sport mode? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-24-2018, 06:47 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by minikevin
Hey I have a 17 Clubman S All4 and I havent really messed with the dynamic damper control yet.

What does it exactly do and when should I turn it on/off? Also can you use it with sport mode? Thanks in advance!
Copied this off the web.... "BMW Dynamic Damper Control (also sometimes called Dynamic Damping Control) is a system that can change the suspension settings on the fly. Each wheel has a control unit that monitors movement 400 times per second and then adjusts the shock absorbers appropriately. The system can adjust both compression and rebound from soft to firm, adjusting to provide the best suspension for the current driving conditions, providing the most comfort and best handling possible, even on rough roads."

In other words, it makes the suspension respond to conditions faster than a conventional damper system. All of the high end cars, Ferrari included use this on their suspensions. Interestingly, GM was the 1st to bring this system out and uses it on the Cadillacs, Corvettes and Camaros and I believe license their system Ferrari.....

Old 09-24-2018, 07:18 PM
Eric Avatar
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dynamic Damper Control is set as you move from Mid to Sport mode. In Sport mode you will notice the suspension gets firmer - you start to feel road bumps a lot more. Sport mode also increases throttle response - you dont have to press the accelerator as much. Plus on my JCW, it also makes the exhaust louder (not sure about MCS and MC models).

You can customise the sport setting to not adjust the damper control, giving you a more comfortable ride (softer) with the improved throttle response and exhaust note.

But I prefer having the two distinct settings depending on my needs at that moment.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:53 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Avatar
Dynamic Damper Control is set as you move from Mid to Sport mode. In Sport mode you will notice the suspension gets firmer - you start to feel road bumps a lot more. Sport mode also increases throttle response - you dont have to press the accelerator as much. Plus on my JCW, it also makes the exhaust louder (not sure about MCS and MC models).

You can customise the sport setting to not adjust the damper control, giving you a more comfortable ride (softer) with the improved throttle response and exhaust note.

But I prefer having the two distinct settings depending on my needs at that moment.
Dynamic Damper Control is NOT the same as the driving modes. On the MiniUSA.com it doesn't show the Dynamic Damper Control as an option for the JCW as it is not available with the Sport Suspension. The standard and S models do not have the Sport Suspension option, but have the driving modes that allow for a more sporting ride along with the option to add Dynamic Camper Control. At the time I bought mine, it was a $500 check box. Good option for the money.....

Old 09-25-2018, 06:10 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by gearhead60
On the MiniUSA.com it doesn't show the Dynamic Damper Control as an option for the JCW as it is not available with the Sport Suspension.
It's not an option on the lowest tier JCW, but it's included automatically on the middle and upper tiers.