F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

Adding a USB Port

Old 02-05-2019, 04:01 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've the snapin adapter... Do you think it would be possibile to change it to a USB port? I find insulting paying another 250€ for the snapin adpater. (Now im using a 2nd hand iphone 5 snapin paid 35€ but i would like to put my iphone 7 in the armrest)

Old 02-06-2019, 02:18 AM
pw1114
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimrandir View Post
I've the snapin adapter... Do you think it would be possibile to change it to a USB port? I find insulting paying another 250€ for the snapin adpater. (Now im using a 2nd hand iphone 5 snapin paid 35€ but i would like to put my iphone 7 in the armrest)
You just need to unplug the snap in adapter from the head unit and plug in the USB port into that spot.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:58 PM
bgdrewsif
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pw1114 View Post
Just in case, as an FYI, if after you plug in the HSD wire and USB port you find that your phone doesn't charge and it is not connecting, it is likely because the wire/USB port combo you purchased has the pin connections rotated 180 degrees, so you have to rotate the connection position at the USB port/HSD wire by 180 degrees from the default position... This was the case for me, which I'm guessing is because I purchased items meant for some other BMW model.
I just retrofitted the secret compartment and added a click and drive to the back of the instrument cluster this afternoon and hooked up the USB port on the click and drive to the back of the center instrument computer. I coded the system to recognize the second USB port and then could not get it to connect to my iPhone... I went back and did the same thing, sawed off a small clip with a steak knife and flipped the connector cable around 180 degrees and now it works perfectly! My USB port on my Click and Drive is now fully integrated to the car's computer system just like the USB port behind the gear shifter. YAY!

I should note that the head unit connection ports do appear different than what was pictured earlier.

The connecting cable i used to conncet my click and drive USB port to the vehicle's computer system. I purchased this cable off of ebay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/glovebox-US...72.m2749.l2649

The connecting cable I used to connect my click and drive USB port to the vehicle's computer system. I had to cut off a small tab/clip on the green end that connected to the white USB port and then flip the green cable around 180 degrees for the connection from my phone to the vehicle to work. I then wrapped the green cable, white/black USB port, and the male end of the USB cable that leads to the click and drive USB port in electrical tape to prevent any of the connections from coming loose and detaching.

The head unit behind the center instrument screen. In my 2016 mini the available port is yellow in color and is labeled "USB2" directly in front of the yellow connection port

The head unit behind the center instrument screen. In my 2016 mini the available port is yellow in color and is labeled "USB2" directly in front of the yellow connection port

Last edited by bgdrewsif; 05-25-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: