European MINIs European MINIs may look similar but there are some interesting differences. Learn more here!

200 HP MINI D

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Old 04-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What sizes are those engines? Is that 2.0l and 2.3l (from 120, 123), rather than the standard 1.6l? (I just Googled, both are 2.0l.)

200hp of diesel would have a hell of a lot of torque. 295ft-lb according to some Googling.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Carlisle
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That car sounds like a dream! Why am I still living in North America?!?!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:40 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can blame the tree huggers for them not being in N.A. right now. It's only going to get worse with Obama.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Carlisle
4th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
You can blame the tree huggers for them not being in N.A. right now. It's only going to get worse with Obama.
I do agree with you... it is going to get worse... and I have seen it happen alread with regards to the Smart Car.

We have had the Diesel version of the Smart car in Canada for the past 3 or 4 years.

Now that the Smart car is available to the USA market, the Diesel engine has been discontinued for Canada because the USA did not want it. I was told this point blank by the service manager at a Mercedes dealership in Toronto.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its not tree huggers, its massive pollutants from diesels. Come on, its your home too dont you want clean air to breathe?
I think the diesel MINI will come to America, its just that americans are close minded about diesels. Most people think they billow black smoke and rattle and clank like the old oldsmobiles and caddies.
My new X5 Xdrive 35D is totally badass, w/ 425 ft lbs of TQ its faster 0-60 than my R56 S, I average better mileage too and its clean.
If theres a market for the diesel in America , BMW will make it happen

Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
I agree it will eventually come around. It's true everyone thinks of diesels as black smoke billowing obnoxious engines. If only they would realize they are in many ways leaps and bounds better than gasoline engines! Most diesels are so clean nowadays with the advancements in technology that have been made.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
I had a cc chevy chipped duramax and loved to fill the cabin of the ricer next to me with black soot, with their boom boom stereo blastin away!!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 11:11 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zsqure
I had a cc chevy chipped duramax and loved to fill the cabin of the ricer next to me with black soot, with their boom boom stereo blastin away!!!!
Hmmm... Alpha Male

Congratulations on your MCC! Almost here!

Old 09-13-2009, 11:30 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Maty125,

C'mon now, do you have your head in the sand? The new generation diesels are more anit polutant than regular gas engines of five years, and of many of today. Vast in roads have been made with diesels in the past years. Take a test ride in a VW Diesel that are available. The only problems Americans have, is that they still are thinking of diesels of the 70's, or thereabouts. And as for performance, there are tons of 200hp+ diesels coming out in Europe and could be imported into the States, if it weren't for tree huggers and California. There are five states that think that California has the right idea and have their state governments run by the Environmentalist. Think global warming! Scientist now are telling us that for the past 10 years we have been in a global cooling. Whatever.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:26 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Wow I was waiting for something like this. Too bad our stupid *** government will probably never let something like this come to the USA.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:53 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Not getting politcal or anything, but the US government is going to HAVE to start allowing some more of these diesels into this country. Only this morning, our most revered president stated that we must have 36 mpg cars by 2016, starting with getting there in 2012. Then he said, this will cost us another $1750. + or - and that this will, only take three years to make up this difference. Oh well, here we go again, more expenses, but this time they are hitting us, car enthusiasts. So, to get there, we will see more of the Hybred type of cars, and when you look at diesels, they are a better valu for mpg. Enough for now.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:29 AM
nortonski92
1st Gear
Having a 200hp deisel would be brill

Old 02-24-2010, 09:42 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/02/...tryman-part-2/

MF: Are there any chances of a diesel power Countryman coming to the US?

VK: This scenario is the same as the one we have for all of today’s MINI Diesels. We’ve tried to make the business case work for the R60 as well, but it is incredibly negative because of the staggering costs to convert the European market Cooper D or One Diesel (even the new BMW Diesel engine) to 50 State specification. While the SCR technology isn’t too bad, the necessary rework for the stampings means the body-in-white is affected and once you touch that, it’s big bucks. It would have been over $10,000 more per car and while we’re not always the brightest bulbs in the closet, we knew that it would not succeed at that price premium.

Notice the hang up is not emissions...

Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
j-gregs
2nd Gear
The new bluetec diesels (Audi, VW, and Merecedes) are considered a partial zero emissions vehicle. They are also being sold in California. New diesels are pretty damn awesome, and you get a tax credit for purchasing them, or at least you did.

Spend some time in San Pedro or LA and see if you want tougher emission standards. I don't think tougher emission standards should stop engineers from developing new diesels. Variable valve timing and other significant advances have occured due to having to face a challenge. If it was up to some people I'm sure we would still be driving around using leaded gas and putting garlic around our necks everytime we get a cold.

Last edited by j-gregs; 02-24-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Grammar baddddd
Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Detuned from 177hp and 258lbs-ft.
The 123d is 204hp and 295lbs-ft.
AC Schnitzer already tuned the ECU on the 128d to 241 horsepower and 354 pound-feet of torque and 40 MPG.
That would make for one sweet MINI powerplant.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by j-gregs
The new bluetec diesels (Audi, VW, and Merecedes) are considered a partial zero emissions vehicle. They are also being sold in California. New diesels are pretty damn awesome, and you get a tax credit for purchasing them, or at least you did.

Spend some time in San Pedro or LA and see if you want tougher emission standards. I don't think tougher emission standards should stop engineers from developing new diesels. Variable valve timing and other significant advances have occured due to having to face a challenge. If it was up to some people I'm sure we would still be driving around using leaded gas and putting garlic around our necks everytime we get a cold.
+1...

Very true. The latest Mercedes Bluetec / VW & Audi TDI cars like the A3, Q5, Golf and Jettas are selling quite well... and over MSRP at most dealers. The problem isn't meeting the federal emission regulation but overcoming the old mindset of most Americans. 60% of high-end Mercs, BMWs and Audis sold in Germany are diesels.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by flatlander_48
hWhile the SCR technology isn’t too bad, the necessary rework for the stampings means the body-in-white is affected and once you touch that, it’s big bucks. It would have been over $10,000 more per car
I'm confused - why would the body stampings have to be re-worked to bring them into the US??? Especially considering these combos are already in production around the world. What am I missing here?

Old 12-04-2010, 04:14 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
I had a Mini One D as a loaner last week from Mini while my MCS was in for the cold start rattle. Bottom line____ I WANT ONE! The ONE D is a torque monster for a less than 100hp car. I truly enjoyed driving it and it was an absolute blast to drive in the snow! Add more than 100hp to it and I will sell my MCS in a heart beat!

Old 12-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Island maser
5th Gear
Have a Jetta TDI and it rocks. Wife drives it because it is bigger and heavier-feels safer. 42 MPG, Clean-You would never know and quite. With the 6 speed it holds it own and than some. Would be intersting in a Mini.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:29 AM
R56 Wi MINI
3rd Gear
I can only hope that MINI will bring a diesel to America in the next 2-3 years. My girlfriend just bought a 2010 VW Jetta TDI and the VW diesel engine is a dream! The torque is addicting! I can only imagine what any of BMW's N47 diesel's would do to a MINI. Why does Europe get all the sweet diesels?? Not fair.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by R56 Wi MINI
I can only hope that MINI will bring a diesel to America in the next 2-3 years. My girlfriend just bought a 2010 VW Jetta TDI and the VW diesel engine is a dream! The torque is addicting! I can only imagine what any of BMW's N47 diesel's would do to a MINI. Why does Europe get all the sweet diesels?? Not fair.
In some ways, it's fair we don't get the diesel choices that Europe enjoy. For many years, diesel fuel technology in the US was stagnant (stuck in late 70s) while Europe kept improving theirs, especially Germany and France... both Audi and Peugeot have been racing diesel-powered cars in the LeMans 24hrs the last few years.

In the late 90s, the Fed government required that clean diesel be available by 2007 to catch up to gas engine emission. Then in 2007, they changed the regulation again by making diesel engine emission the same (or very close) to gas. Some of this is political to help protect domestic auto-makers from foreign competition. With erratic changes in regulation and the people's lack of knowledge, it would be difficult to sell diesel cars in the US... we still have a long way to go. Ironically, both Ford and GM (via Opel) produce diesel cars in Europe but they don't want to incur the cost of retooling US plants to make them.

In 2007, I co-piloted an Audi A3 (1.9L TDI) from Berlin to Munich. With 4 adult passengers and a trunk full of luggage, the car was going 160-210 KPH or ~98-130 MPH for 5.5hrs. The current 2.0L TDI in the A3 and Jetta/Golf is even better.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 PM
312griso8v
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Carlisle
That car sounds like a dream! Why am I still living in North America?!?!
Dear MINI USA,

Bring the diesel MINIs stateside!!!

Sincerely,
R53 Driver

Old 03-01-2011, 06:04 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw a handful of Cooper "D" when I was backpacking around Europe and wondered what I was missing out in in Canada. Sounds pretty awesome.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 AM
MultipleMINIMan
Neutral
Having 200 HP in such a small car will make it incredibly fast. But the diesel will make it a bit "torquey," no? I guess with that kind of performance, who cares? Haha.

Quick Reply: 200 HP MINI D