Emerald MINI Car Club (Eugene, OR) A Non-Profit MINI Car Club serving the Southern Willamette Valley in Oregon. Visit our website at www.emeraldmc2.com.

New Engine Block?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:04 AM
jazzman777
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Engine Block?

I have a 2008 MINI Cooper S Hardtop. It has been needing coolant constantly, of which I have been filling it to maintain getting by, probably 3 months. I do not drive far or often and I do not know a good MINI mechanic in my area, so I put off getting it taken care of. We had a big freeze in the area (DFW), which is probably pertinent. After the freeze, I started to take daughters to school. Steam started coming out of my vents and dash, the smell of gasoline filled the car, and (I found after getting out of the car), brown sludge started pouring down onto my floor board. I had my car towed to the local shop my wife uses and had them look at it. Apparently a gasket from my radiator was leaking into my oil. Overheating occurred and the engine is shot. They are looking to install a long engine block. I am floored as to what to do. The first thought is to scrap it and get a another car. We still owe on it, so that really sucks, but may be a reality. Stepping away, I think it would be wise to get a second opinion or certainly a second quote (7200 to install a used long block?). The garage says this is a "known issue" that BMW has not addressed. Should I write a complaint to BMW, MINI, or car dealer? Is there a link to finding good MINI mechanics in my area?
Sorry if I am missing any 'obvious' details. I am really not that knowledgable about cars. I just know I loved mine, but once the warranty went out, it has been a real liability.
I am really looking for advise on how to proceed.
Thank you.