Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Hella "Angel Eyes" and manual switch question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 06:55 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hella "Angel Eyes" and manual switch question...

I have a set of Hella driving lights with "angel eyes" on the way, and I wonder if anyone has installed these before?

Ideally, I'd like both the ring lights that give the angel eye effect AND the main bulbs themselves to be controllable independent of the High/Low beams as well as independent from one another (so I can just turn on the ring lights, BMW-style, if I want to).

Has anyone seen this unit or installed it, and can you tell me if the swith that's included is a 3-position one (Off/Ring Light/All) or what?

If the switch isn't 3 position, can the ring lights be spliced into the parking lights, and then the main lights be routed to the switch? I assume you must be able to independently control them, right?

Last, I was thinking of replacing the stock switch (which I hear is a bit whimpy) for one of the lit toggle switches with cover from Radio Shack- the switch has 3 posts on the back, but I think it's only a two-position unit- has anone used these and can comment on the quality? It is, after all, RADIO SHACK and it only costs $5, so that has me a bit worried...

The three posts are positive/negative/ground, right?

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2006, 10:00 PM
amg6975
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hm, not sure what you're exactly looking for as far as wiring the halos and bulbs. You can wire the halos to a switch off any circuit, they're LEDs and hardly use any power.

As for the bulbs, I would:
1) Wire a 0V lead through a switch and a 12V line to the high beam.
2) Take your switched 0V line and your 12V high beam line and run them into a relay and use that to drive the positive of the driving light straight from the battery. (through a fuse of course)
3) Connect the negative of the driving light to 0V.

That way, you'll have the full functionality of the switch and the driving lights will only come on with the high beam. It also elimates drawing power from your high beam or whatever other circuit.

As far as that switch goes, in a DC electrical system the negative (really 0V) is ground. The three terminals you see are: 12V, switched 12V and 0V. You need the third prong to be attached to 0V sothe switch can light up.