Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Help - LED bulbs glowing faintly when car is off ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 06:57 PM
rclements
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - LED bulbs glowing faintly when car is off ??

Hello everyone,

I installed some aftermarket 194-type LED bulbs in my wheel arches. They are color-correct and I did locate & mark the new bulb's pos/neg terminals before inserting them by means of a multimeter.

The bulbs look and work great behind my new clear arch reflector lenses.

Here's the weird part (!) : I walked into the garage tonight and before I hit the light switch I noticed the rear arch light bulb was glowing v-e-r-y faintly. I thought I was imagining things, but I checked the other three corners and sure enough, all 4 arch lights are getting a trickle of current from somewhere. The LEDs are efficient enough to glow at really low current, but this is WEIRD.

I switched the parking light switch to the 'on' position and the lights all glowed at normal brightness. I am estimating they are glowing at 1/10 their full output when the car is "off" ... any ideas??

I am concerned about eccessive current draw on the battery. I did check the battery voltage at under-hood battery post with the car off, and it reads a respectable 12.37 Volts.

Any thoughts, comments or similar experiences anyone?

thanks,

rob

Old 02-21-2006, 03:17 PM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
Its very common & occurs if you put LED bulbs in the arch or sidelights, You will notice they flicker when the car is started even when switched off.
They will normally go out a little while after the car is turned off so dont flatten the battery

Old 05-04-2006, 09:19 AM
DownSize
3rd Gear
yes, you need a certain ohm something or other to stop the problem. but, seeing as though LED's use very little power to begin with, it should not be a problem, it is only using up power still left in the system. Try stepping on the brakes after turning off the car, that might drain out the remaining power in the system. Alot of people who have clear tail lights with LED bulbs experience the same thing.