Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Bluetooth Basics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 06:22 PM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that where I will install the microphone from either the Nokia kit or the one from www.newministuff.com?

Old 01-27-2006, 06:25 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Cant you put it where the OEM microphone goes?

Old 01-27-2006, 06:31 PM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
That is what I am asking.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:41 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MGMRAM
Is that where I will install the microphone from either the Nokia kit or the one from www.newministuff.com?
It's not mandatory, but you can. I've seen mixed reviews about this location. For some it works fine, for others their callers complain that there's a lot of noise when the microphone is mounted behind that vent.

I mounted mine on top of that vent, part out of concern of that background noise and part out of total laziness.

Old 01-28-2006, 07:49 PM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
Do you have any pics?

Old 01-28-2006, 09:48 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Right now no. I'm getting ready to go on a trip in a little over a day so I don't think I'd have time to get a shot of it for at least another week...(sorry packing takes precedence) but if you still want a picture a week and a half from now let me know...

However, it's nothing special, my mic is just sitting on top of the vent blank. Most passengers notice the controler long before the mic...

Old 02-14-2006, 11:31 PM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
I finally received all of the components needed to setup my bluetooth in my '05 MCS. HK w/ Factory NAV (Parts from www.newministuff.com and E-Bay CK-7W) Total cost around $300.00. What I am looking for is any techincal advice with the install. Where do the components mount? How do I route the microphone wire since there are airbags mounted in the pillars? Are there any pics to be had? Any help will be appreciated.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:07 AM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
Clip off the dash end panel - the nokia can go in there. If you mount the ic on the top of the pillar trim then the wire can just run down the door rubber without getting in the way of the airbag

Old 02-18-2006, 09:38 AM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
Installation Complete!!

It took about an hour to install the complete setup I installed the CK-7W unit on the cover below the steering column. I used velcro to hold it in place and zip tied the wires together next to it on the cover. No rattles!

Question, using my RAZR Bluetooth, is the speed dial from the phone supposed to show up on the NAV screen? And isn't the phone supposed to show up on the main menu of the NAV screen? It appears to have a screen of its own. Is there a manual out there showing how the Mini phone is supposed to work?

Old 02-18-2006, 02:42 PM
dwfrank
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MGMRAM
It took about an hour to install the complete setup I installed the CK-7W unit on the cover below the steering column. I used velcro to hold it in place and zip tied the wires together next to it on the cover. No rattles!
Where did you mount the mic? And how did you route the wires to make it look nice?

--dwf

Old 02-19-2006, 09:58 AM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
Pics

I hope these pictures help. I used velcro supplied with the CK-7W to hold the microphone in place.

Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth Basics?-slide1.jpg   Bluetooth Basics?-slide2.jpg   Bluetooth Basics?-slide3.jpg  
Old 02-20-2006, 07:16 PM
ravenfish
2nd Gear
I am also considering the EVO. Where do you hide the controller if you have a parcel shelf?

Old 02-21-2006, 08:32 AM
krenzkes
4th Gear
Has anyone heard of a kit for the OEM bluetooth to use the MFSW buttons instead of the seperate switch that mounts to the vert column?

Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
That's the new kit, and it's extremely expensive.

It's still a two piece kit though, one piece is a charger type unit that you plug your phone into, however that charger is compatibile with just a small number of older (2+ years) phones. However, the Bluetooth portion should be compatible with any Bluetooth phone.

Cost of the kit and install is something in the area of $2k I believe.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
This is the one Michael is talking about:

MotoringFile » New Bluetooth Kit Comes to the US

Take special note of the PDF file listed at the bottom of the news article (before the comments).

Old 02-21-2006, 11:29 AM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
With the kit that I installed everything is hidden except a small portion of the microphone wire. (I will fix that soon) There is no other visible hardware in the car. Only problem is the phonebook does not show up on the NAV screen utilizing Bluetooth(RAZR). I think you have to use a compatable Nokia phone set and plug it in to the CK-7W.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:00 PM
krenzkes
4th Gear
Roger that. It just seems to me that if this new bluetooth comes in so expensive that a kit to retrofit the OEM bluetooth would be coming soon too to use the MFSW, only makes sense to do so. The only problem I have with my OEM bluetooth is the placement of the switch, I bump it with my right knee. Also, I would love to have a British female voice on the voice command system vice an American, I have asked the SA about looking into that for me. There are some good threads about changing the voice to British for MINI's with NAV systems but no info on having the non-NAV bluetooth do the same. you have a choice of english, french, and spanish but not American or British english.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:19 PM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
The kit I installed utilizes the MFSW and does not need to use the bump switch. The CK-7W and this one from NewMiniStuff http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=205 is all it took. I am not sure what you mean about the voices and how they work with the Bluetooth?

Old 02-21-2006, 07:00 PM
krenzkes
4th Gear
The OEM bluetooth has voice commands for dialing, phonebook, etc. but came with an American female voice, but I can choose French or Spanish. I would like to get that changed to a British female voice to stay in line with the British origin of MINI. Also, since there is a new Bluetooth OEM, higher priced though then the OEM Bluetooth of just two months ago, there should be a kit coming out from someone to utilize the MFSW controls vice the seperate switch. If no one has that type of kit, someone good at eletronic mods should be thinking of one to go with the older OEM Bluetooth. I would change over to use my MFSW any day.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:31 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by krenzkes
The OEM bluetooth has voice commands for dialing, phonebook, etc. but came with an American female voice, but I can choose French or Spanish. I would like to get that changed to a British female voice to stay in line with the British origin of MINI. Also, since there is a new Bluetooth OEM, higher priced though then the OEM Bluetooth of just two months ago, there should be a kit coming out from someone to utilize the MFSW controls vice the seperate switch. If no one has that type of kit, someone good at eletronic mods should be thinking of one to go with the older OEM Bluetooth. I would change over to use my MFSW any day.
If you're thinking that somebody has or will develop a retrofit for the older OEM kit to use the MFSW controls... I wouldn't hold my breath. I can't see it making sense for MINI to do it, there's not enough Jan 05 later builds with the old kit for them to get the return on their investment.

As for somebody else coming up with a retrofit... Again it only affects whomever purchased and installed the kit within about an 8 month period. I'm guessing it's not a lot of cars. The only way this is probably going to happen is if an extremely determined hobbiest decides they want to hack into their car.

I wouldn't think it's impossible, but probably improbable. Even more so since the old kit isn't even available anymore...

Old 02-21-2006, 09:47 PM
HEMI-MINI
4th Gear
Are any of you guys using the speaker that came with the Nokia Kit...and if so where did you mount it? I am debating my options on this but I will be getting the OEM or the Nokia for sure.
I have a similar setup in my dodge truck...OEM with control pad. I love it..works great and uses a speaker and not the car speakers.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:49 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
When you use the harness from newministuff.com you don't need the external speaker. The harness patches the audio output to your stereo speakers.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:00 PM
HEMI-MINI
4th Gear
Very cool...plan on doing complete installation myself...does not seem to be a big deal. If I may ask, how much is the harness running? Its an 06 MCS with HK...no NAV. My Garmin NAV is much better.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-22-2006, 08:49 AM
rameeti
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by HEMI-MINI
no NAV. My Garmin NAV is much better.
Just the guy I was looking for.

I am trying to figure out just how good or bad the Nav System is in the MCS 2006. I am used to having a handheld Garmin 60CS that I love the features it has. I have lots of saved destinations, and can easily search for places with 'hardware' or such in their name. It gives me the address and phone number of businesses. Can the Nav do the same? Is the speed of its calculations decently fast? How up to date are the maps? How wide of an area do they cover? How easily can I add or change the maps that it has in its memory? If I do an iPod add on, can the screen be used for display of song info or selection?

Old 02-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by HEMI-MINI
Its an 06 MCS with HK...no NAV. My Garmin NAV is much better.
I'm just curious... I'm not telling you that you're wrong... but now much time have you had with the OEM Nav? Especially with the V26 software? There are pros and cons to every solution, although cost alone may be prohibitive for most people on the OEM option.

Quick Reply: Electrical Bluetooth Basics?