Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Bluetooth Basics?

Old 12-19-2005, 04:34 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hollis3
as an fyi - it is mike@newministuff.co.uk

I just sent him an email.
Good point! I fixed the earlier post...

Old 12-20-2005, 12:58 AM
uglyduck
3rd Gear
Nokia Bluetooth phone is not sold in this country.
I think that it is GSM phone.
In South Korea, only CDMA phones are being used.
I have known it just now.
Some other way.......?

Originally Posted by mbabischkin
The reason why you're probably being told that the two phone buttons can't be used is because I would bet that the MINI kit that uses those buttons aren't available to you. Here in the US we've been told the same thing up until a few months ago, despite the fact that we knew that in the UK people were doing otherwise...

Why not just order the entire kit, wirning harness and CK7w kit from newministuff and have them ship it to Korea? The only reason why it's suggested that people in the US buy the kit seperately from the harness is because the kit is available for sale in the US for less than it would cost to purchase it overseas and ship it in...

Old 12-20-2005, 06:46 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by uglyduck
Nokia Bluetooth phone is not sold in this country.
I think that it is GSM phone.
In South Korea, only CDMA phones are being used.
I have known it just now.
Some other way.......?
Right, I understand that. But the Nokia mentioned here isn't a phone but rather a kit that gets installed in your car. Your Bluetooth capable phone (GSM, CDMA, 3G, FOMA etc) connects to the Nokia kit allowing you to use your phone hands free...

Again as long as your phone supports the Bluetooth handsfree and or headset profiles regardless of the type of phone or who made it, then it should work with one of these kits. Bluetooth is an international standard that is the same no matter what country you're in or who makes your phone.

Old 12-20-2005, 08:39 AM
hollis3
Coordinator :: Motoring Underground Club Forum
I am just wandering if the Bluetooth kit uses the AUX input. I currently use the input for sirius, and would hate to lose it for the bluetooth harness. Does anyone know?

edit - just heard back from Mike - you do not lose the AUX input.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:55 PM
wheelspnr
2nd Gear
Bluetooth at STLouis Mini

I called the Mini dealer in stlouis and asked about the bluetooth .... I'd like to be able to use the button on the steering wheel ... the service writer quoted me a price of $2000 to get the system working ...

Wonder how many he's doing at 2K a pop .... don't everyone race to stlouis for this service ....

Old 12-20-2005, 02:29 PM
CDMINI
5th Gear
Yeah, they said $1400 here in ORLANDO, my MA could barely keep a straight face when he said it. They KNOW no one will go for it at those numbers...

Old 12-20-2005, 04:14 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wheelspnr
I called the Mini dealer in stlouis and asked about the bluetooth .... I'd like to be able to use the button on the steering wheel ... the service writer quoted me a price of $2000 to get the system working ...

Wonder how many he's doing at 2K a pop .... don't everyone race to stlouis for this service ....
Yes, the MINI kit is WAY over priced. But the the harness from Newministuff plus a kit you purchase here in the States and you could do the same for around $500 installed....

Old 12-20-2005, 04:35 PM
uglyduck
3rd Gear
Right, I understand that. But the Nokia mentioned here isn't a phone but rather a kit that gets installed in your car. Your Bluetooth capable phone (GSM, CDMA, 3G, FOMA etc) connects to the Nokia kit allowing you to use your phone hands free...

Again as long as your phone supports the Bluetooth handsfree and or headset profiles regardless of the type of phone or who made it, then it should work with one of these kits. Bluetooth is an international standard that is the same no matter what country you're in or who makes your phone.
Great.!! Wonderful information.
All Korean owners of 'MINI Cooper S' will be surprised at this great information.

One more question..
Can I establish the kit by myself without someone's assistance?

Old 12-20-2005, 06:50 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Great.!! Wonderful information.
All Korean owners of 'MINI Cooper S' will be surprised at this great information.

One more question..
Can I establish the kit by myself without someone's assistance?
That depends on how comfortable you are with disassembling the dash enough to remove the radio HU.... If this is something that you're not real comfortable doing then you'll want to hire some help. Otherwise you can do this on your own. Using the wiring harness from newministuff.com there's no splicing, the entire thing is plug and play, you just need to be able to get the downtubes removed to pull the headunit out.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:18 PM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
Harness?

Let me see if I have this right. If I buy the wiring harness kit from the Mini dealer, and purchase a kit from Motorolla (http://direct.motorola.com/ENS/natio...&Selectedtab=1 ) this will work with my MFSW and Nav? I'm sooooooo confused as to what to buy

Follow the link to build your own car-kit</IMG>

Old 12-20-2005, 09:43 PM
uglyduck
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MGMRAM
Let me see if I have this right. If I buy the wiring harness kit from the Mini dealer, and purchase a kit from Motorolla (http://direct.motorola.com/ENS/natio...&Selectedtab=1 ) this will work with my MFSW and Nav? I'm sooooooo confused as to what to buy

mbabischkin said;

Actually that's not quite correct...

The ONLY kit that new ministuff lists as working with NAV and the MFSW buttons is the Nokia CK7w https://www.newministuff.com/new/sho...uctshow&id=205

The other kits can be installed in a MINI with NAV and MFSW but they can't interface with the NAV and MFSW.

ANY Bluetooth hands free car kit on the market will work with your RAZR. No wiring needed with any bluetooth kit to connect it to your phone.

Only buy the wiring harnesses from newministuff if you are in the US. Do NOT buy the bluetooth kit from him. Not because Mike isn't a really knowledgable guy who provides terrific customer service... Actually because the kits are much cheaper if you buy it in the US than if you buy it from him in the UK and then have to deal with the exchange rates and the shipping.

Shoot and e-mail to mike@newministuff.co.uk and he will tell you exactly which wiring harness you need to order from him for the radio and bluetooth kit you're looking for. Honestly I never remember which is the wave and which is the boost radio...

Old 12-20-2005, 10:16 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear

No. Your MINI dealer isn't involved unless you want to pay $2000.

To interface your Bluetooth phone (ANY Bluetooth phone that supports the car handsfree and/or headset profiles) with your MFSW and Nav in 2005 MINIs so equiped you need the following:

Nokia CK7w. This can be purchased from a variety of sources including e-bay or expansys http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=CK-7W. This is a Bluetooth car kit, it does not include a phone.

Wiring harness from newministuff.com for the CK7w.

That's it.

Now, if you have the 2 spoke MFSW found on earlier models, you can't use the "dead button" on the MFSW with a phone kit. There's nothing available that will interface with it.

Have a three spoke MFSW with no phone buttons? You can use ANY bluetooth car kit on the market. If you install them straight out of the box you will output phone audio to a seperate speaker and your phone kit may not mute your radio when a call comes in. However if you purchase a wiring harness from newministuff.com that is compatible with your kit, then you'll be able route the audio from your phone through your stereo speakers AND mute your radio when using the phone...

Still confused? Tell us the year of your car and what other questions you have and we'll try and help you out...

When you get right down to it, what we're dealing with is very simple, it just sounds complicated at first, don't let the technology intimidate you...

Old 12-21-2005, 06:01 PM
uglyduck
3rd Gear
Bluetooth integration for Minis with 3 spoke wheel with phone buttons (Parrot EVO)

I have received an E-mail from Mike of newministuff.
They say that they have launched a new bluetooth kit.

If you hope to see it, click here.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:04 AM
uglyduck
3rd Gear
I am eager to know the key to abbreviation of MFSW and EVO..?

Old 12-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I am eager to know the key to abbreviation of MFSW and EVO..?
MFSW = Multi Function Steering Wheel, the optional MINI steering wheel with stereo control buttons (and Bluetooth buttons for 01/05 builds and newer).

I'm not sure on EVO, someone else will have to explain that one.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:15 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I think you mean EVO as in Parrot EVO, in which case EVO may not actually stand for anything other than a model name...

Old 12-22-2005, 09:43 AM
cooperjedi
2nd Gear
EVO stands for Evolution which is the Parrot ck3000 Evolution kit.

My wife ordered me this kit for X-mas and I just ordered the msfw adapter from Mikey last night. I think I may be the first one to order it.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:58 PM
uglyduck
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
MFSW = Multi Function Steering Wheel, the optional MINI steering wheel with stereo control buttons (and Bluetooth buttons for 01/05 builds and newer).

I'm not sure on EVO, someone else will have to explain that one.
I understand it. Thank you..^^

Old 12-22-2005, 06:23 PM
uglyduck
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cooperjedi
EVO stands for Evolution which is the Parrot ck3000 Evolution kit.

My wife ordered me this kit for X-mas and I just ordered the msfw adapter from Mikey last night. I think I may be the first one to order it.
I have missed the first one to order the EVO kit.

After you establish and use it, I hope to know the careful result of the process.
I will follow you in your advice.

Could you take pictures of the process for the users after you..
I hope to see them here.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:34 PM
uglyduck
3rd Gear
I think you mean EVO as in Parrot EVO, in which case EVO may not actually stand for anything other than a model name...
mbabischkin,

Which kit do you like better, Nokia CK7-W or Parrot EVO..?
I think that your advice is helpful.^^

Old 12-22-2005, 07:14 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
mbabischkin,

Which kit do you like better, Nokia CK7-W or Parrot EVO..?
I think that your advice is helpful.^^
I actually have the Sony-Ericsson HCB-300 with the newministuff harness for Sony-Ericsson. I liked that kit quite a bit until it died on me after just 5 months of use. Since it's the second SE kit to bite the dust on me since last March I haven't been real motivated to try and troubleshoot it. It doesn't help that while I can remove the HU, it's not something I really like doing.

Personally I don't have NAV, so the integration with the Nav system isn't an issue for me. I've heard good things about Parrot kits so I'd probably look at that one. However I'd suggest looking somewhere like epinions for some user reviews on the kit. When I've used epinions I look at the number of positive to negative reviews, and then I read most of the negative reviews in order to get a good idea of what people don't like about the item I'm researching..

Old 01-06-2006, 06:50 AM
uglyduck
3rd Gear
Wave stereo, Boost stereo

Wave is a very basic cassette player - standard in UK
Boost is available in cassette, CD or MD - standard in USA, South Korea

If you have CD then you have Boost

Old 01-06-2006, 11:30 AM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
We have had so many hcb300's fail, we now will not sell any of their products
I actually have the Sony-Ericsson HCB-300 with the newministuff harness for Sony-Ericsson. I liked that kit quite a bit until it died on me after just 5 months of use. Since it's the second SE kit to bite the dust on me since last March I haven't been real motivated to try and troubleshoot it. It doesn't help that while I can remove the HU, it's not something I really like doing.

Personally I don't have NAV, so the integration with the Nav system isn't an issue for me. I've heard good things about Parrot kits so I'd probably look at that one. However I'd suggest looking somewhere like epinions for some user reviews on the kit. When I've used epinions I look at the number of positive to negative reviews, and then I read most of the negative reviews in order to get a good idea of what people don't like about the item I'm researching..

Old 01-27-2006, 03:01 PM
MGMRAM
2nd Gear
I ordered the CK-7W and the HK kit from www.newministuff.com. Here is my question, Is the microphone already built in on an '05 MCS. I believe it is on the overhead panel by the sun roof switch. Am I correct for thinking this? If not, what is that other panel?

Old 01-27-2006, 03:14 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I ordered the CK-7W and the HK kit from www.newministuff.com. Here is my question, Is the microphone already built in on an '05 MCS. I believe it is on the overhead panel by the sun roof switch. Am I correct for thinking this? If not, what is that other panel?
It's a blank spot for a microphone to be installed, but there's no actual microphone there...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Bluetooth Basics?