Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Valentine V1

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 07:07 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valentine V1

I know practically nothing about radar detectors, but from what I've read from this site, the Valentine V1 seems to be the favored detector. I had a question about this particular radar detector. Does this detector only alert you when there is a cop, or does it also serve as protection against the cops radar? Like I said, I know nothing about these systems, so am just looking for a little help in understanding how these things work.

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It detects the odor of spilled coffee and stale donut crumbs found on any Law Enforcement officer's uniform. . .

But seriously, it only detects a radar or laser gun that is on and within range of the unit's sensors.

I've used others and would not trade my V1 for any other unit period.

However, as good as the V1 is, it is still secondary to your own senses and awareness of the road and conditions ahead. Example:When you are cresting a hill or approaching a blind turn, slow down a bit until you can see what is on the other side because the radar signal might not be detectable until too late.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Cherry2005
3rd Gear
However, since radar travels in a straight beam, my Valentine will pick it up from around a curve (the beam is coming straight ahead), or when cresting a hill (the cop on the up-side, shoots his beam up and ahead of him). Try taking a toy car and envisioning a beam of light attached to the front of it, and experiment how the "radar" beam would be detected coming around a curve or up/down a hill.

I've seen it work from several miles away, and the unit has paid for itself time & time again! In Nebraska alone, it saved me from three "stealth" highway patrolmen hiding behind an overpass pillar - before I had my detector, I would never have known they even hung out there. I would not travel without it, but am still aware of those cops not using radar, but rather relying on visual to catch speeding cars. You wouldn't want to get over-confident with the radar unit. Check out the website and you'll get some great info.

http://www.valentine1.com/

disclaimer: Of course, I always adhere to the local posted speed limits. Radar detecting is really more of a hobby than anything else....

Old 10-17-2005, 08:08 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cherry2005
disclaimer: Of course, I always adhere to the local posted speed limits. Radar detecting is really more of a hobby than anything else....

Old 10-17-2005, 08:15 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
We were driving back from San Antonio with a line of Minis, 3 others had RDs of various types... I was in the back and the only one with the V1... I would radio that I was getting a signal, but nobody else was... hmmm, we came up on a couple of police w/radar... I definately got the first warning by a good margin... i am happy w/the V1! Another thing I really like is the directional indicators... they are helpful.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:22 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
How are you guys mounting it?

I am thinking of getting one, but find the act of removing it and hiding it another chore, plus who wants more wires hanging or laying around

I have never gotten a speeding ticket but the MINI makes me crazy for speed wink:

Old 10-17-2005, 08:25 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Originally Posted by letsmotor
How are you guys mounting it?

I am thinking of getting one, but find the act of removing it and hiding it another chore, plus who wants more wires hanging or laying around

I have never gotten a speeding ticket but the MINI makes me crazy for speed wink:
I have it hard wired in and mounted up by my RV Mirror- I use it on the hwy not city driving... the wire tucks up easily

Old 10-18-2005, 07:29 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
radar / Lidar / Vascar/

I don't dispute the utility of a detector, just remember, that Radar and Lidar are not the only methods used.

Here in Illinois, on holiday weekends on my police monitor, I can listen to the State cop in a high place (air plane or perhaps a water tower) relaying car identification and speed to the pick up cars.

Vascar is just a fancy stopwatch, so there is nothing for the Detectors to pick up. In some places we have stripes on the road that are 5 seconds apart at the posted limit. In some states the stripes are even painted like little airplanes.

I got caught in Colorado (in 1974) based on how long it took me to pass a guard rail of known length. The cop was sitting on a hill where he had a good view of both ends of the guard rail as the road curved around. His partner just walked out to the edge of the road and flagged me down.

John

Old 10-18-2005, 07:41 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
Does this detector only alert you when there is a cop, or does it also serve as protection against the cops radar?
I smell BACON!!!

Will give false warning if within 100 yards of Waffle House.

Seriously, It's the best detector on the market. You will be much safer from radar, however laser surveilance is still inadequate (as it is with all laser detectors, regardless of manufacture). Ditto aerial surv., time-distance measurement, rocket propelled grenades and IEDs.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:01 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jdewey
I don't dispute the utility of a detector, just remember, that Radar and Lidar are not the only methods used.

Here in Illinois, on holiday weekends on my police monitor, I can listen to the State cop in a high place (air plane or perhaps a water tower) relaying car identification and speed to the pick up cars.

Vascar is just a fancy stopwatch, so there is nothing for the Detectors to pick up. In some places we have stripes on the road that are 5 seconds apart at the posted limit. In some states the stripes are even painted like little airplanes.

John
Wouldn't it be really easy to fight that ticket, human error, cop presses start/stop too early...calculations come out wrong...

Old 10-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Just something I have observed using the V1 anyone else? While driving infront of an Infinity FX 35/45 your V1's laser signal goes off every few minutes. I am assuming this is the laser guided cruise control. Next time your laser signal goes off see whats behind you.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:35 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rossii
Just something I have observed using the V1 anyone else? While driving infront of an Infinity FX 35/45 your V1's laser signal goes off every few minutes. I am assuming this is the laser guided cruise control. Next time your laser signal goes off see whats behind you.
Yes I began to notice it on BMWs, Infinitis, and other large SUVs with back up / distance technology a few years ago. I think they use laser / infrared light to measure the distance to objects behind / in front of those monsters.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:41 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Precicely why such technology should be BANNED in the USA. If they gotta intefeer with cruse control use ultrasound, not Lazer!

Old 10-18-2005, 12:45 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by misfit03
Wouldn't it be really easy to fight that ticket, human error, cop presses start/stop too early...calculations come out wrong...
As far as I know, yes. Here in Pennsylvania, only state troopers are allowed to operate radar. Municipal cops have to use VASCAR or pacing to pick up speeders, and that's why they typically they have to catch you doing 10 miles or more over the posted speed limit. That way, it accounts for human error somewhat.

Old 10-18-2005, 01:01 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MGCMAN
Yes I began to notice it on BMWs, Infinitis, and other large SUVs with back up / distance technology a few years ago. I think they use laser / infrared light to measure the distance to objects behind / in front of those monsters.
At least PDC is only active when in reverse - the technology that allows a driver to be so removed from the act of driving by controlling the distance from another car at speed is ridiculous and dangerous IMHO. With that sort of cruise control the driver is apt to fall asleep and veer off, not to mention the idea of over relying on that sort of thing esp in vehicles that isolate the driver so much. Accidents are prevented by alert involved drivers...

Sorry for the rant but this sort of thing aggravates me as you can see

As for being alert and aware, you still need to be even with a V1, since not every officer uses radar/lidar. The V1 is awesome though and while alerting you keeps you on your toes

Old 10-18-2005, 01:03 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
At least PDC is only active when in reverse - the technology that allows a driver to be so removed from the act of driving by controlling the distance from another car at speed is ridiculous and dangerous IMHO. With that sort of cruise control the driver is apt to fall asleep and veer off, not to mention the idea of over relying on that sort of thing esp in vehicles that isolate the driver so much. Accidents are prevented by alert involved drivers...
That's why, even though I've owned five vehicles with cruise control, I've never in my life turned cc on whilst driving.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:08 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Buying the Valentine

Interesting thread. I've decided to buy the valentine but wonder about connections. I still haven't taken the sticker off the upper left of my windshield which warns about electrical modifications voiding the MINI warrenty. My Saab came with a passport hard wired into, well, a wire somewhere. The unit sticks to the windshield behind (from my perspective) the rear view mirror. I never turn it on or off or adjust the settings unless I can do it with the unit mounted to the dash (looks like it would hang off the cigarette lighter plug in other models). I like it that way a lot. Knowing where the police are is like always having friends around . . . I don't want to have a unit I decide to deploy . . . plug in . . . unpack and so forth.

Has anyone mounted a valentine in a MINI in such a fashion? Wouldn't it be great if the unit could mount in the anteana base? No such accessory is there?

Old 11-03-2005, 04:34 PM
racingdynamcs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
I know practically nothing about radar detectors, but from what I've read from this site, the Valentine V1 seems to be the favored detector. I had a question about this particular radar detector. Does this detector only alert you when there is a cop, or does it also serve as protection against the cops radar? Like I said, I know nothing about these systems, so am just looking for a little help in understanding how these things work.

Thanks!

I have owed mine for 2years and its saved me and has paid for itself many times over. The support that valentine offers is top notch, I had a problem with mine once and they fixed it with only a few questions to determine what is wrong.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueBonnet
*snip* I still haven't taken the sticker off the upper left of my windshield which warns about electrical modifications voiding the MINI warrenty. *snippy*
Just got Sam back from the dealer yesterday with a new rag top and two rear side windows - all replaced under warranty. I have a Passport 8500 and Magellan RoadMate 700, both hardwired to the fuse box.

Guess my dealer didn't read the sticker...

Old 11-09-2005, 07:43 PM
protoculture
3rd Gear
I've had a V1 (w/the 'stealth' adapter) almost two years and will echo the "it's paid for itself sentiment." Absolutely stellar product. I won't bash other mfrs., as I'm sure there are adequate units, but if you're looking for the absolute best--and don't mind paying the slight premium for it, I think the V1 is it.

As far as mounting, I can't do anything too permanent, as I drive into DC fairly regularly--where apparently, detectors can be confiscated--and occasionally venture into VA, where they are simply illegal. So it's just suctioned up to the window, and the ugly wire hangs across the dash, but oh well. I can yank it down when I have to.

I also have two MCSs, and like to be able to switch it between cars when I have to. I'm also a horrible procrastinator. Have had the wiring kit for months now. :D

Old 11-22-2005, 06:04 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
For sure the V1 has my vote. Not to long ago my V1 starting going off telling me I had a pretty good k band bogey and the arrow pointed to the front. As I drove the signal kept getting stronger and stronger. The fun part is to try and spot the unit that has the radar.

Finally I figured out where the radar was at....it was an unmarked car right in front of me doing about 5mph less than the posted speed limit.

Haaaa I thought....so there ya are.....I just went around the cop, and turned the V1 to the mute mode. V1...don't leave home without it

Old 11-22-2005, 06:10 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
what does it mean to "J-Out"

When that J pops up after your signal goes all nuts!!

Old 11-22-2005, 08:03 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
I recently bit the bullet and got a V1...still getting used to it but it really helped the other day

The Ka band went all the way to the right with the arrow blinking in front and I did not see anything. Then I saw an unmarked silver chevy caprice(?) that a lot of police use about a block away going really slow the opposite direction to catch people I guess.

It really worked great

Now I just have to get used to the regular bogeys on my drive like burgler alarms and automatic doors.

What is the most bogeys you have gotten at once ? I have seen 8 with the arrows going nuts.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:42 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
The most real bogeys I ever had was 4. If you had eight, perhaps you were picking up some doors nearby.

It took me about 6 weeks to figure out the spots in town that were "false alarms" still, I watch my speed in these areas as I don't want to assume its not the man when it could be.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:53 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Mounting

While some guys here hat NAM have done some incredible permanent installations, I will share a simple install.

Since I don't particularly care to have wires running from the unit to the cigarette lighter. The V1 comes with a hard wire option. My V1 is mounted to the windshield center 3-4 inches up from the dash using the sucksion cup mount. The hardwire is simply inserted (laid) in the space between the windshield and dash going to the leftside of the vehicle. The wire goes all the way to the passanger footwell where I found power and ground.

When the V1 in not in use - all you see is the end of the wire (telephone like connector) sticking out (hardly noticeable). When I want to use the unit I simply pull the wire out connect it to the V1 and I'm in business.

Since I run the V1 about in the center of the windshield, The wire is actually about 4 inches left of center - these are the 4 extra inches that allows me to install the V1 3-4 inches off the dash. When not in use the V1 sits in the glove box - outsight outmind.

I've wired all my cars in such a fashion and move the v1 at will.

None of this is particularly hard, the V1 comes w/ everything and more to do this. Time involved is minimum. Location is important from an eye point of view and of course from unit pick-up point and this location is ideal for both.

Quick Reply: Electrical Valentine V1