Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Brighter Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4GAZM
no no its saying old cars with the old sealed beam headlights, like the ones in my 71 dodge charger or motorcycles

its pretty cool, acually i have no idea what thats all about anyway!

you can buy the lense with the actuater inside to make it low and hige beam, alot of fabricating but hey it could work!

as far as that goes the first gen mini head lamps had an h7 housing for the H.i.D and you could do a HID swap very easily ware as with others its just as easy, you can acually get the h11 in HID and replace your foglamps

hey i live in detroit just about everybody out here drives with their brights on when they get behind you, i hate it, really bad when the suv's ride my butt with their brights on, makes me wish i had one of those 30,000,000 candle power spot lights on hand , heheehe
what about the jetta i posted? Thats not an old car....but blatantly doesnt have the correct housings.

I'm not challenging....i think you made a great point. I wonder how different the 02-04 HID housing is from the halogen housing. Its obviously not a projector like it is now.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:56 PM
4GAZM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i could care less if i can see more, it just looks so much cleaner, yellow light just looks dirty and low voltage, thats why i have those aux lights on the mini when i need to see real well, the 4300k or somewhat near that stock HID lighting on the mini is very close to daylight witch still looks very nice its just if you go after the 6000k or 10000k , that it starts really getting bad

Old 09-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
i could care less if i can see more, it just looks so much cleaner, yellow light just looks dirty and low voltage, thats why i have those aux lights on the mini when i need to see real well, the 4300k or somewhat near that stock HID lighting on the mini is very close to daylight witch still looks very nice its just if you go after the 6000k or 10000k , that it starts really getting bad

yah, i know...i was just worried about the glare, which really could hinder how well you are seeing.

like i said, you made a good point...do you have HIDs in your mini by any chance?

Old 09-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
here is the housing for a xenon setup....who knows what the halogen one looks like

If only we could buy these parts separately.

Old 09-19-2005, 05:18 PM
4GAZM
5th Gear
oh no im just playing yea the glare can be obnoxtious to just about everyone, they do however make, not for the mini however yet crossover headlamps that work with hid if you do the swap and not change the optix then youll have issues, we worked on alot of HID stuff while i was at TRW
automotive

yea the stock 02 to 04 lights are pretty much alike in every way onley i dont think they auto ajust since that is a HID must have in any car equiped with such lighting, well at least now anyway

but a swap is very easy

and yea i converted my 02 factory HID to 05 factory HID

Old 09-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
oh no im just playing yea the glare can be obnoxtious to just about everyone, they do however make, not for the mini however yet crossover headlamps that work with hid if you do the swap and not change the optix then youll have issues, we worked on alot of HID stuff while i was at TRW
automotive

yea the stock 02 to 04 lights are pretty much alike in every way onley i dont think they auto ajust since that is a HID must have in any car equiped with such lighting, well at least now anyway

but a swap is very easy

and yea i converted my 02 factory HID to 05 factory HID
awesome....

you dont have your old HID housings do you? I would snag them off you for a good price if you still do

Old 09-19-2005, 06:56 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dunno about you guys, but i love my cheapo 4000k halogens.. they are my day time running lamps, so i dont need it for anything but look good, in most lit parking lots i can still see plenty fine with drl

6000k xenons i run right now maybe overkill to some of you, but the pure white light just looks soooo dam cool, illegal maybe, but no cop has EVER even glanced at my lights... also, i got 2500k fogs on oem slots on non oem fog lamps, even when i have them on at night with xenons no cop ever stops me (that said, ive only used my fogs twice, both in EXTREMELY bad weather)

scratch that, no cop has ever stopped me for anything

Old 09-19-2005, 07:18 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
??2500k fog's??

wanna share! how ur runin' 25ook in ur OEM fog outfit!?!?
Originally Posted by kyriian
i dunno about you guys, but i love my cheapo 4000k halogens.. they are my day time running lamps, so i dont need it for anything but look good, in most lit parking lots i can still see plenty fine with drl

6000k xenons i run right now maybe overkill to some of you, but the pure white light just looks soooo dam cool, illegal maybe, but no cop has EVER even glanced at my lights... also, i got 2500k fogs on oem slots on non oem fog lamps, even when i have them on at night with xenons no cop ever stops me (that said, ive only used my fogs twice, both in EXTREMELY bad weather)

scratch that, no cop has ever stopped me for anything

Old 09-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
awesome....

you dont have your old HID housings do you? I would snag them off you for a good price if you still do
What would you consider a good price. I'm considering retrofitting the '05 Projector HID in place of my '02 HID...

Old 09-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have PIAA Ion Crystal amber colored high beams. The amber cuts through fog and haze and is more soothing to the eye. Definitely the nicest and seemingly brightest highbeams I have ever had.

See this thread for my write-up on them and other higher wattage bulbs.

Old 09-19-2005, 07:48 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by joker
wanna share! how ur runin' 25ook in ur OEM fog outfit!?!?
actually, they are not oem fogs, i got 004X fogs from PIAA... they are 90% aesthetic because they dont actually fit all the way properly right in the slot.. but since the times i will use them is under extreme conditions only i wont worry about it too much... we spent 3 hours making sure the light points down

Old 09-19-2005, 08:00 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
3 hrs wow!

do u have a write up on it? sounds kool...

i dont like that i cant make the fogs brighter, so this might soothe me 4awhile.
actually, they are not oem fogs, i got 004X fogs from PIAA... they are 90% aesthetic because they dont actually fit all the way properly right in the slot.. but since the times i will use them is under extreme conditions only i wont worry about it too much... we spent 3 hours making sure the light points down

Old 09-19-2005, 08:06 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
to put it simply, we fabricated a spacer to be placed on the bumper beam support... then went on to spend about 2 hours making small adjustments to the aim, to the seat of the lamp to the bracket, etc etc.... all in all, the lights are a bit behind the bumper, so some of the light do stray and lit up the rad... but it looks really nice

ill take a night shot sometime

Old 09-19-2005, 08:14 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
i removed all OEM grills and now have that same effect, w/lightin' up the rad.it does look allright.
night pix would b kool!!
i dont know that i could do this cuz i sport a Hamann FR. lip so it might get in the way!?!? huh mayb ill try it anyways.....anything for more brights
to put it simply, we fabricated a spacer to be placed on the bumper beam support... then went on to spend about 2 hours making small adjustments to the aim, to the seat of the lamp to the bracket, etc etc.... all in all, the lights are a bit behind the bumper, so some of the light do stray and lit up the rad... but it looks really nice

ill take a night shot sometime

Old 09-19-2005, 10:58 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
Kyriian, you might have said this and alot of the convo went over my head, i need to read it more slow but what do you have for your headlights and where did you get them from?

Old 09-20-2005, 07:00 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by illegalprelude
Kyriian, you might have said this and alot of the convo went over my head, i need to read it more slow but what do you have for your headlights and where did you get them from?
alright, simply

xenon: factory was 4200k, now its 6000k, i got the bulbs from an ebay vendor called stillen maxima, great service and great prices

halogens: original was that 3000k yellowish bulb, now its up to 4200k... a very good white look to them, although they cost me about 10 bucks (1/3 of what piaa costs) i dont care as long as they do the job as i rarely have to turn on high beams, even when i do, they lit up the road very nicely

fogs: piaa 004X fogs paired with some 2500k nokya bulbs, so they are yellow...

ill take some pics at night when i have more time...

Old 09-20-2005, 07:19 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
?!?!no danger on melting any of the components away w/that high of power (6000k from 4200k OEM)
alright, simply

xenon: factory was 4200k, now its 6000k, i got the bulbs from an ebay vendor called stillen maxima, great service and great prices

halogens: original was that 3000k yellowish bulb, now its up to 4200k... a very good white look to them, although they cost me about 10 bucks (1/3 of what piaa costs) i dont care as long as they do the job as i rarely have to turn on high beams, even when i do, they lit up the road very nicely

Old 09-20-2005, 12:52 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
alright, simply

ahhh. so you already had factory xenon then didnt you?

Old 09-20-2005, 02:06 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
?!?!no danger on melting any of the components away w/that high of power (6000k from 4200k OEM)
Joker, they are NOT higher power. From what he wrote, he didnt say he increased the wattage, only the color of the light, which will not effect the wiring.

Old 09-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by chows4us
Joker, they are NOT higher power. From what he wrote, he didnt say he increased the wattage, only the color of the light, which will not effect the wiring.
ehhh true on some parts....in order to change the color, you are upping the bulb temperature. But i dont think the higher temperature will be a big deal.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:35 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
ehhh true on some parts....in order to change the color, you are upping the bulb temperature. But i dont think the higher temperature will be a big deal.
I think Joker was referring to the wiring which would have no effect whatsover. If he means how hot it could be, I guess that can be true although I think alot of it has to be the what they paint on the ends. For example, the PIAAs are so expensive because the tips are not painted but the glass color itself while the cheapo bulbs are painted. But your right, the bulb itself could be hotter!

Old 09-20-2005, 03:55 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
yea, i was thinking on how hot it would get and if it might melt components!!

Old 09-20-2005, 04:17 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
yea, i was thinking on how hot it would get and if it might melt components!!
The wiring will only get hotter if the bulbs are overwattage (i.e., go from 55 to 100 or 130w). Then you have a good chance of the wiring catching on fire

If the bulb is hotter, just hope the lens isn't plastic.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:39 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
i think their glass, but not sure! i touched them one time by mistake and they were glass hot so i dont believe plastic can get that hot and not melt!! (this is why i believe they r glass)
Originally Posted by chows4us
The wiring will only get hotter if the bulbs are overwattage (i.e., go from 55 to 100 or 130w). Then you have a good chance of the wiring catching on fire

If the bulb is hotter, just hope the lens isn't plastic.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:55 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Kyriian, did you ever get those pics? I plan on replacing my OEM foglights with PIAA Ion Yellow's for those really bad weather days. The yellow really cuts through rain and fog... and doesn't look like a crap yellow bulb either. My friend with an MR2 just replaced his H4's with some Nokya yellow bulbs. All I can say is using them as your regular lights is absolutely amazing but slightly illegal . Everything lights up yellow; from stoplights to anything painted on the road.

Quick Reply: Electrical Brighter Lights?