Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical LED Brake/Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:37 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Brake/Taillights

Heyall,
Gotta thank Chris (aka tuls) for helping with many questions about light mods. But for the general forum, what LED bulbs work in the brake/taillight position? I have swapped out my 05 stock assemblies for 02-04 clears (changing the upper red bulb for a clear LED for reverse lights, why do they solder those things in???). And have ordered the side indicators, fogs, interior etc.

But am having a hard time figuring out what LED bulb to use for the dual purpose brake/taillight position?

Any suggestions/answers??

Thanks,
Joel

Old 08-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Ok as much as this sucks...

do not use LEDs in the tails...I have them...SUPRISE!! MLE did too...the ROCK at night...but during the day they suck...so if you are going to switch them...I was just telling a buddy with an o5 about this last night...get the whole thing...as in if you bought the clears off ebay...then go to the dealer and order the lights that come with the clears...you can...they are not cheap though...the are different in that nrmally the lights can be changed...one by one...with the clear lights they are welded in...the reason I say get the factory stuff is then they are warretied...well sort of...PM me for that info... oh oh forgot...yo uahve the reverse light there now...well the kewl thing there is just use a regular 1156 for that...and then you'll have really bright back ups!

as for your other options...you can go to pep boys or somethign like that...and get the Sylvania SilverStar 1156A High Performance Signal Light Bulbs and Sylvania SilverStar 1157A High Performance Signal Light Bulbs for the bottom or what ever you choose depending on where you put the revers

I belive yo ucan get the m all in amber and red as needed...here some links...I have bought from these guys before...and have been very satisfied...but if you can get them locally it's easier...

I can get you pics of how they look factory and other wise...even the LEDs...

MLE had a guy pull up next to her monday and say "hey, not to be rude, but I had no idea you were stopping...I could barely see your brakes..."

that was wit hthe LEDs in...sigh...oh well seemed kewl at the time...and looked great...but the factory ones are just as good...and work in the day light

Originally Posted by jfunkmd
Heyall,
Gotta thank Chris (aka tuls) for helping with many questions about light mods. But for the general forum, what LED bulbs work in the brake/taillight position? I have swapped out my 05 stock assemblies for 02-04 clears (changing the upper red bulb for a clear LED for reverse lights, why do they solder those things in???). And have ordered the side indicators, fogs, interior etc.

But am having a hard time figuring out what LED bulb to use for the dual purpose brake/taillight position?

Any suggestions/answers??

Thanks,
Joel

Old 08-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
P.S. the sylvanias are all amber...so although they will work...all your lights will be amber....I'll go to bmw tomorrow if I remember....I knwo that the X5 has clear lights...and brake lights...so...I'll see what I can dig up....I need to do this anyway...

Old 08-25-2005, 07:45 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Well I did spend the big bucks and buy the factory clear light setup from Alan at outmotoring.com and have sucessfully removed the SOLDERED in "position 1" 1156 bulbs (reverse light if these 02-04 setup are placed in an 05 model). What a pain that was!

Also have ordered from autoluminations the 1156 replacements in LED style. As you said should make a WAY bright backup light setup. You know what the bulb is in the myministuff.com retrofit- backup kit is? I was thinking about changing that out as well, maybe going ultra white like the cluster backups or to have some different effect as it is low to the groud, the super blue color!

Anyway, thanks again for all the help!

Joel

Old 08-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
which ever one you choose for back up you can use a regular 1156 cause they are clear so they won't show..unless lit...(me shrugs) I dunno