Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Where can i grab power to driving/fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 11:29 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where can i grab power to driving/fog lights?

I just purchased a set of 004X PIAA fog lights, and was wondering where can i draw power from? I'd love to draw power from the battery directly(as per their instruction), but since the battery is in the car's rear, i can't do much..

where can i find 55W to power my lights

-kyriian

Old 08-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get it from the jump termanal under the hood.

Or even better, from the back of the underhood fuse block. Fat 12 volt cable back there! And you can make it look very, very clean.

Matt

Old 08-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The OEM driving light kit takes power off the main fusebox feed terminal (the big bolt-on terminal nearest the firewall) on an MCS, or from the battery itself on a MC. The terminal on the MCS is the same as taking power directly from the battery at the rear. If you are going to use this terminal for any accessory use. it's imperative that the first thing in line after the connection is a fuse of some sort to protect the wiring, in most cases with driving lights this would be a 15 amp fuse. The big feed terminal is fused near the battery, but with a whopping 200-250 amp fuse depending on year (really!).

Do NOT use the jumpstart terminal for additional accessory usage. It's not fused at all and could be a fire hazard if anything should go wrong with the accessory feed.

Disconnect the battery ground terminal in back before you begin working with that big terminal. All you will need is a ring terminal with a 3/8 inch hole and for the size of your wiring (14-16 gage usually).

Old 08-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Profpatpending
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beside the ECU, the fuse box there has a red cable under a bolt at the top nearest the firewall,
open it and place your feed to your lights there make sure you install an inline 20A fuse and remove the battery negative/ground terminal before you start

Old 08-13-2005, 09:39 PM
inmimini
2nd Gear
exactly what they said!!! next to the ecu....

Old 08-17-2005, 07:09 PM
jessminiS
1st Gear
Ditto

I pulled mine off the jump point under the hood. See the pic. I loosened the not and put my wire under it, with a 20A fuse also. Then grounded where the hood grounds.

The more light the merrier!

Attached Thumbnails Where can i grab power to driving/fog lights?-dsc04824.jpg  
Old 08-18-2005, 01:31 PM
Norman
1st Gear
Keep your fuse within 6" or less of the place you are picking up the power at. That will give you protection the entire run of the power line. If you put it close to the lights or relay then from the fuse back to the power point is unprotected. I had a set of PIAA lights on a Jeep and had some problems with blowing out the bulbs. It turned out that the lights were the problem and PIAA replaced them free 2 years later. Anyways they said that if you don't have a very good ground that could cause premature light bulb failure. (I was going to say premature bulb blowing but wanted to keep this family friendly ). Pick the place that you are going to ground the lights...preferably a body panel for best grounding and scrape all the paint from the location. You don't need to go wild just remove enough so that the ring terminal has a good clean seat against bare metal. Screws with star washers work well.