Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Crazy idea for 05 rear fog light mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 08:16 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Crazy idea for 05 rear fog light mod?

Like others, I am left to ponder about all things MINI while waiting for my car to arrive. I had a thought about the 05 rear fog light and wondered whether it might be feasible.

Is there any way to modify the fog light housing so that it can accomodate two light fixtures? If this were possible, then you can connect one fixture as a backup light, and the other as a brake light. You would use a white lens housing and for the brake bulb use one of those silvered bulbs that lights up red. The result would be that the fog would light up red when you hit the brakes and white when you go in reverse. Heck, with the proper circuit, it could even triple as a fog light (by activating the red light fixture).

All of this depends on whether the housing is large enough to somehow cram in two fixtures. Is there any hope for this to work? I've never actually seen a bumper light housing or know how it mounts.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:18 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that wouldnt be a problem.

drill a hole in the top of a clear backup light and add a red light that screws or snaps in and hook that up to your fog light wiring.

i was thinking about doing the same thing, but use a brake in the backup and not a fog light....

Old 07-05-2005, 08:19 PM
LAMINI
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty

Would be voided.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:20 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LAMINI
Would be voided.
you guys are a riot

Old 07-06-2005, 08:00 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
that wouldnt be a problem. drill a hole in the top of a clear backup light and add a red light that screws or snaps in and hook that up to your fog light wiring.
I take that to mean there's enough space in the housing to add a second light fixture, and no clearance problems when it is mounted in the bumper.

Then how about "kicking it up a notch" and getting excessive -- add two extra light fixtures to the housing? A total of three light fixtures: fog, backup and brake. Will it fit and mount okay?

Old 07-06-2005, 08:02 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
if you were to put them on each side of the existing fixture installation, it would probably fit. i would try LED's to save some space. might be someting worth working on!

Old 07-14-2005, 12:38 AM
tech-gi
2nd Gear
Fog lites

What about a dual filament lamp, and socket?
Some rewiring in the back would be nesesary.
But that would void the warranty too???

Old 07-20-2005, 12:18 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
if you were to go dual fillament, you might as well not even use the factory wiring, because the plug wouldnt fit into the new housing anyway!

novel idea, just isnt worth the time!

get 04 tails and use the backup in the bumper and use very bright LED bulbs in the 04 fog location like I did. You need clear tails tho.... (69 bucks shipped on ebay)

Old 08-13-2005, 09:46 PM
inmimini
2nd Gear
great idea!!

how about a 6 cell mag light fixed on with some duck tape, ( duck tape fixes every thing) and the mag lights come in many colors to match your mini. no wiring nessasary. not trying to be a wise *** but it could work lol!!! everyone need a good laugh once in a while.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:31 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Like others, I am left to ponder about all things MINI while waiting for my ...car to arrive. I had a thought about the 05 rear fog light and wondered whether it might be feasible.

Is there any way to modify the fog light housing so that it can accomodate two light fixtures? If this were possible, then you can connect one fixture as a backup light, and the other as a brake light. You would use a white l...ens housing and for the brake bulb use one of those silvered bulbs that lights up red. The result would be that the fog would light up red when you hit the brakes and white when you go in reverse. Heck, with the proper circuit, it could even triple as a fog light (by activating the red light fixture).

All of this depends on whether the housing is large enough to somehow cram in two fixtures. Is there any hope for this to w...ork? I've never actually seen a bumper light housing or know how it mounts.
If i read this right.....that would defeat the purpose of a rear fog being the lens is red compared to prior years whiich used a clear one in the same location which was the reverse but is now in the tail lights now.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:45 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
If i read this right.....that would defeat the purpose of a rear fog being the lens is red compared to prior years whiich used a clear one in the same location which was the reverse but is now in the tail lights now.
I rarely encounter fog in my normal driving, and I ordered my 2006 without fog lights. A 2005/2006 without a rear fog light would have a blank space in the rear bumper. mini-rolls and others have developed circuits and kits to use the space as an extra brake light or an extra backup light. I am suggesting that a single light housing might be made to simultaneously operate as both a brake and backup light. Thus I would purchase a 2004 backup light housing (which has a clear lens and bulb) and hook it up to the backup light circuit. Then I would get an extra bulb holder with a red bulb and mount it inside the same light housing, and hook it up to the brake light circuit. This setup would function as both a white backup light and a red brake light. Above, I made one further proposal to make the unit operate for all three functions: backup, brake, and rear fog.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:36 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Wow....thats alot of work for a added 4th brake light......Just to let you know.....You will void your warrenty if anything comes back with you tapping into that wiring harness. I say this being i work for a mini dealer. Just be carefull is all.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:58 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Wow....thats alot of work for a added 4th brake light......Just to let you know.....You will void your warrenty if anything comes back with you tapping into that wiring harness. I say this being i work for a mini dealer. Just be carefull is all.
Well if you work for dealer you would know that the early 2005 have no harness for the light in the bumper. Also, adding a quick splice to a wire in the tail harness would not void the warranty, my dealer is sending people to me install the harness on cars that do not have the harness. I installed jumpers on MINI's since 2003 and not one issue.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:20 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
umm ok smarta55......for one it will void your warrenty if you touch any wire on these cars or any car with a factory warrenty......and just b/c you havent run into a problems yet doesnt mean what your doing is ok with the dealers. Also...What do you think your tapping into when installing an extra light or rear fog........a H-A-R-N-E-S-S cuz being i work at a dealer and should know....if it had one you'd be using it..... wow

Old 08-17-2005, 11:38 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Bump

Old 08-17-2005, 03:32 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
so, are you on the janitorial staff at the Mini dealer? I didnt think that someone in a mechanics position would type like a 12 year old......

Old 08-17-2005, 03:35 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Oh, Ok smartass......

For one it will void your warranty if you touch any wire on these cars or any car with a factory warranty. Just because you have not run into a problem yet doesnt mean what your doing is Ok with the dealers. Also, what do you think your tapping into when installing an extra light or rear fog, a H-A-R-N-E-S-S because i work at a dealer and should know, if it had one you'd be using it..... wow
i fixed your post for ya there, all better!

Old 08-17-2005, 05:22 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
......Yes, im the janitor.....but i never said i was a mechanic to begin with nor a genius typest....i wanna grow up and get a dead end job in a glass blowing shop.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:23 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
ok, as long as were on the same page