Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical $600 To Hook Up Fog Lights!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 02:10 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$600 To Hook Up Fog Lights!!!!!!!!!!!!

The dealer just called me with an estimate to hard wire my rear fog lamps.....................350 pounds ($616.00USD) Since they don't know how to "flash the software" and BMW does not have a solution for them, hard wiring the fogs from the new six unit swtich panel is the only way they know how to do it Most of that cost is in stripping out the carpeting panels to provide access and placing it back, which I will gladly do to save money

There has got to be dealer some place in the world that can tell the MINI dealer over here in the UK how to flash the software, anyone have any ideas please speak up now

Old 07-14-2005, 03:07 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Okay I get it, you guys are sick and tired of me and this subject, frankly I don't blame you I am sick and tired of it as well.

I give up

Old 07-14-2005, 04:50 AM
Ozbone
3rd Gear
Umm , well ...actually most of us were/are still asleep at the time of your posts.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:20 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 07-14-2005, 05:35 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Ozbone, sorry about that you know after I wrote that last note I realized everyone was probably asleep, duh

KevinR, thanks for that reference I actually have that print out but didn't think of giving it to the dealer here because it is from BMW North America. But what the heck at this point I will try anything.

I will fax it over to him now and thanks again, I will let you know what happens as soon as I hear back from them

Old 07-15-2005, 09:18 PM
MiniCooperMan37
1st Gear
http://www.myminiparts.com/products.php?cat=15&pg=3 replace it with this instead, they have a brake kit and a back up light kit. and just run the wires underneath the car. you can do it yourself, and i don't know why the hell you would need to reflash your ECU for a light

Old 07-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Wouldn't it be cheaper just to drive to the factory and have THEM program the BC1 (BCM?) I can't believe it's such a big freakin' deal over there. I had the dealership program my used car to tell it the fog light switch was there - took about 10 minutes.

Old 07-16-2005, 04:17 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Thanks MiniCooperMan37 and Eric_Rowland. In response to Eric's comment about it being cheaper to drive over to the factory and have it done, well that is totally logical and you would think that approach would work but you probably have not spent any time in the UK. Logic is not a word in their vocabulary, in fact BMW hasn't even been able to provide the dealership with a solution. And guess what the dealership I originally took it to is owned by Roger Penski and American, go figure

So what I did manage to do is get the instructions for flashing the software from an official US MINI Dealer Bulletin. I finally found a dealer over here, after talking to three other dealerships, who was willing and actually excited about giviing it a try and they will charge only for 30 minutes of time which is what the Mini Bulletin says it will take.

MiniCooperMan37 the reason for flashing the software is because my car, which is a 2002 model was shipped with all the wiring and the bulbs installed all I had to do is install the six toggle switch panel. Flashing the software apparently is needed to get the new toggle switch and rear bulbs to recognize each each. We shall see my appointment is on Monday morning at 11. I just need to keep my fingers crossed while driving over to the dealership my car is not registered to drive on the roads here yet becasue inspection cannot take place unitl the rear fogs are activated.