Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical New Swtich Panel Installed But.............

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 02:14 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Swtich Panel Installed But.............

I received my new swtich panel yesterday the panel that contains the rear fog light switch and did the install this morning, pretty straight forward took about 30 minutes. I am scheduled for the software adjustment at my local dealership tomorrow morning. Thought I would save some costly dealership time by installing the unit myself and just letting them do the programming.

I assume the new programming will take care of how the switches are currently operating, yes? Because currently, after installing the new switch plate the headlinghts don't work, the front fog lights don't work, the door locks are not operating and to raise and lower the windows I have to hit a combination of the door lock switch, the fog lamp switch and one of the window switches.

Has anyone done this before

Old 07-12-2005, 05:42 AM
betet
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MGear
I assume the new programming will take care of how the switches are currently operating, yes? Because currently, after installing the new switch plate the headlinghts don't work, the front fog lights don't work, the door locks are not operating and to raise and lower the windows I have to hit a combination of the door lock switch, the fog lamp switch and one of the window switches.

Uh oh... I just ordered my switches also.. Now I'm worried that I will have the same problem as what you just had.. I didnt' think that it should turn off everything (including headlights)... Was the wiring put in snuggly??

Let us know how it goes.. Thanks

///Gilbert

Old 07-12-2005, 05:57 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
I received my new swtich panel yesterday the panel that contains the rear fog light switch and did the install this morning, pretty straight forward took about 30 minutes. I am scheduled for the software adjustment at my local dealership tomorrow morning. Thought I would save some costly dealership time by installing the unit myself and just letting them do the programming.

Something is not right, everything should work normal except the rear fog switch.

Check your connections ! I did this swap and like I said everything worked fine except the fog switch untill the dealer flashed it.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:30 AM
FUEGO
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by detlman
Check your connections ! I did this swap and like I said everything worked fine except the fog switch untill the dealer flashed it.
Same here - are you certain you got the correct switch panel for the options on your MINI, and got the connector completely plugged in?

Old 07-12-2005, 07:09 AM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Is it also marked with the right option.. especaily DSC or ASC+T .. if Not this could be the problem

Old 07-12-2005, 08:09 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Ditto comments above - a replacement panel will work properly, except for any "new" features.

The different toggle switch panels are all built the same and wired the same so there is no concern about DSC compared with ASC+T or whatever.

There is however one possible worry I noticed recently. This web site:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do
shows on this page:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=61&fg=35
that the part numbers for the toggle switch panel have changed. I don't know if this is true, and my (Feb'05) GBMINI#3 is working fine with an "old" part number toggle switch panel - but it is a mystery.

Is it possible that the toggle switch panel design changed maybe only in Europe? What is the part number on the old and replacement toggle switch panels?

BTW: If you had a MINI circuit your description would be in agreement with mis-connecting the wires. But you did not mention it, and it is not very possible to mis-connect the original wiring due to the tightly locking connector design.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:33 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by GBMINI

... on this page:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=61&fg=35
that the part numbers for the toggle switch panel have changed. I don't know if this is true, and my (Feb'05) GBMINI#3 is working fine with an "old" part number toggle switch panel - but it is a mystery.
If you look at the pre 09/2004 part numbers, even they are one-off from those in the bulletins for the rear fog light retrofits

eg. 61 31 6 917 992 versus 61 31 6 917 993

They're also priced $60 higher

Old 07-12-2005, 09:42 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Part numbers are correct I did get the right switch panel. The only thing that could be the problem is that the plug is not in all the way but I checked it several times to make sure it was in all the way. I will check it again in the morning. If it still doesn't work I let the dealership straighten it out tomorrow when they do the software tune-up. thanks for the feedback everyone.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
check for bent pins. If there is one pin bent and not getting a connection that could cause your problem.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:59 AM
MGear
5th Gear
I just checked everything and the plug is in all the way. The only thing that isn't "stock" that could be causing the problem is that I have had the "Windows Up" wiring harness in place of the original factory connection. But everything worked fine before, I can't see why that should make the switch panel operate strangly now, do you guys think that would make the swtich panel operate strangly

Old 07-12-2005, 01:24 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
... I have had the "Windows Up" wiring harness in place of the original factory connection
Do you mean the MINI circuit?

As I said in my earlier post, your description is EXACTLY the sort of thing that might occur if you wrongly connected the MINI circuit.
I would recommend you disconnect all and go through the exact MINI circuit install procedure again - especially confirm the LED on the board after plugging the car wiring harness and before connecting to toggle switch panel, then connect toggle switch panel.

Your description suggests the connector into the back of the toggle switch panel is misaligned by one pin - it is possible to do this if not careful. Also be sure to confirm the connector into the back of the toggle switch is the right way up.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:28 PM
MGear
5th Gear
You Guys Are The Greatest!

FANTASTIC
All the follow up information you guys gave was not only very interesting but solved the problem. The part numbers from Miniac helped me to verify I had the right swtich panel and the instructional information from GBMINI allowed me go back and second check my install. Turns out the connector was inserted one set of pins to the right too far. So all I needed was to unplug it and align it so that all the pins engaged. When I originally installed the unit I didn't make that mistake and it installed perfectly the first time so I guess I just was not as careful this time becasue the first went so smooth. And that parts number look up site that you provided GBMINI is really cool I will have to go back and study that further. You know I live about 45 minutes south of Oxford now I think I will drive up there and see if there are any jobs in the factory, now that would be cool . Unfortunately the UK Goverment probably protects UK workers from foreigners taking local jobs even though I have a work permit.

Anyway a big thank you to all that responded once again NAM members pull through

Old 07-13-2005, 04:43 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
... You know I live about 45 minutes south of Oxford now ...
Yes, I noticed ... and you are driving the US spec car that you took over with you? Well done!

Old 07-13-2005, 05:51 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Bad News - Again

Well guess what, seems the Mini Dealerships over here have not done one of these conversions, "flashing" the software to activate the rear fog lamps. And after calling BMW to find out how, the dealership (Sytner BMW/Mini) was told it cannot be done in the UK . The dealer has now told me (after waiting two weeks for this to be done) the only way to accomplish it is to hard wire the switch directly, which they can do:smile: but they don't know how . Sytner has told me they need to get a solution from BMW directly and they hope to be able to do the hard wire next Tuesday. This has taken 6 weeks to get resolved. I sure wish I had known this before shipping the car over here I would have had my own dealer in the states take care of it
I think Sytner needs to get permission from BMW to fart as well

Old 07-13-2005, 06:04 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Stupid Shame!

A hard wire solution really is not a solution at all. At the least it will require some electronics similar to the "green relay" for the driving lights (those cost $75), plus various amounts of wiring modifications.

What you need is probably a friendly MINI dealership - it should be possible to tell the programming computer (TIS) that it is in USA ... then it should offer all the US options. Actually surprising it does not do that anyway, when it discovers it is connected to a US car.

Another option in theory might be to re-program the BC1 in the car to be UK spec, but I don't know if this is achievable.

BTW: if they start talking about replacing the BC1, run away! That module will cost $600+

PS:
If costs get silly with the electronics that the dealership will need, keep in contact with me ... (see http://www.gbmini.net/gallery/MINIcircuit?page=7)

Old 07-13-2005, 08:16 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Lost in The Fog

GBMINI I will keep your recommendation in mind and listen to hear if they make that BC1 recommendation. I did take a lok at htat link you provided. What does that circuit board do, is this something I can get from the states that will allow me to wire up the rear fogs?

Old 07-13-2005, 08:30 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Hank,

Sorry to hear of your frustrating experiences with the rear fog light programming. Check around with other UK dealers or even aftermarket sources. I just can't believe that there is no solution to what is obviously a local (Oxfordshire) problem. Methinks that there's got to be someone in the UK who could help.

MGC

Old 07-13-2005, 01:40 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Find out which dealer services US spec MINIs purchased by US Military personel.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:57 PM
MGear
5th Gear
That's a good idea, in fact I have just been emailing a US military person who belongs to NAM, I will email her and see where she gets her car serviced, thanks