Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Road Runner (Beep Beep) Horn

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 08:49 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadrunner (Beep Beep) Horn

I am toying with the idea of purchasing one those "beep beep" horns to replace the soulless, personality-free one that comes as standard equipment with the MINI.

(http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10101)

I was curious if anyone has one of these and installed it in place of the stock horn. Care you share your experience and process? Is it difficult? Did you get 2 of them (I understand that there are 2 stock horns one on the left and one of the right) ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

(I did a search and didn't find anything on NAM or MINI2)

Old 06-05-2005, 09:22 PM
minimonkey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by neilgj
...horns to replace the soulless, personality-free one that comes as standard equipment with the MINI.
Personally I like the soulless, personality-free Mini horn... because it's LOUD! Twice in the past few days, that LOUD stock Mini horn has saved my butt... when idiots change lanes without turning there damn head to check if the lane is clear. I hate when people do that. And they seem to do it alot more, now that I'm in a Mini.

If anything, I would put an air horn on the Mini. For safety, I am glad the stock Mini horn is LOUD! Saving my soul... thank you personality-free Mini horn!

Old 06-05-2005, 10:04 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimonkey
Personally I like the soulless, personality-free Mini horn... because it's LOUD!
If anything, I would put an air horn on the Mini. For safety, I am glad the stock Mini horn is LOUD! Saving my soul... thank you personality-free Mini horn!
I didn't mean to offend but the horn I was looking at claims to be 133dB which is typically characterized as sound louder than a jet engine about 100 feet away and having the possibility of inflicting pain at closer distances.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the road runner installed....but here is a good thread for info. I have one installed....but also kept the stock one for when i really need it. I use the road runner to let pedestrians know they can pass and for honking at my buddies when they are walking around campus and i pass by.

sometimes someone else searching helps

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ht=road+runner

Old 06-05-2005, 10:16 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are indeed 2 horns. They are easily accessible by reaching down into the opening in the front of the wheel wells...

133db is certainly loud! You also might want to check-out a forklift horn as they also have that beep beep sound. I might do the same...

EDIT - forklight horns are around 100db apparently, so the one you referenced certainly is louder...

Old 06-06-2005, 05:13 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
I'm going to hijack my own thread now...

Anyone familiar with this PIAA horn:

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-32230.cfm

Looks like a drop in replacement for the stock horn. Is it? How does it sound? Thanks for your opinions and viewpoints.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:37 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neilgj
(I understand that there are 2 stock horns one on the left and one of the right) ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Neil, what I did was disconnected one of the two horns. One emits a low tone and the other emits the high tone. With the low tone disconnected, the MINI's horn is now much more MINI-like IMHO. Give it a try and see if you like it. If not, then pursue the Road Runner one.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:48 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FIAMM makes a nice air horn setup thats the same as the one that MOSS offer, but at the small sum of about 19 dollars to buy, you need to make up brackets and tap into the horn wiring. its an easy install and it gets looks everywhere i go.

135db with the hood open, slightly lower closed because of the mounting position.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:50 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
btw, FIAMM also makes the factory horns for the MINI's