Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Brighter LED DRL bulbs for Spyder headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 01:00 AM
myleshailey
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Brighter LED DRL bulbs for Spyder headlights?

picked up the spyder “F56 style” projector headlights for my ‘13 MCS a couple months ago and i love them so far. however, the DRL LED’s in the headlights are very low-powered and are almost unnoticeable in daylight. has anyone open the headlight and attempted to replace the internal LED’s for the DRL for brighter one’s?

Old 06-20-2019, 12:33 PM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by myleshailey
picked up the spyder “F56 style” projector headlights for my ‘13 MCS a couple months ago and i love them so far. however, the DRL LED’s in the headlights are very low-powered and are almost unnoticeable in daylight. has anyone open the headlight and attempted to replace the internal LED’s for the DRL for brighter one’s?

Get Carly and code the brightness level.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:01 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,711 Likes on 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by Yupetc
Get Carly and code the brightness level.
Carly app will have no effect on aftermarket DRLs...

There was a user here that opened his up, but can’t remember who it was...

Old 06-21-2019, 07:24 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
Carly app will have no effect on aftermarket DRLs...

There was a user here that opened his up, but can’t remember who it was...
I hadn't even thought about that. Then here's what I'm suspecting:

The LED's if the OP installs it following the instructions, he must have tapped it to the DRL's which is the low power side of that fog light plug. If he were to switch to the fog light side, he'll get the high wattage, which in turn makes the LED's much brighter. Of course by doing this, he will then need to go to the coding menu and set the Fog lights as the DRL's. And even after that, if he's got the annoying yellow fog lights, he'll need to replace those with 6000k white foglights, or just somehow disable that fog light for good yet keep the circuitry functional for DRL and the LED's.

Another way is to route your own 12volt battery power into the LED circuit, and add a relay which takes the signal from DRL with a tap. That way you'll get all the current you need to brighten the LED's. I'm specifying all of this without looking into the LED's wattage and amperage requirements, so please check the specs before you do it that way you won't burn anything for not classing the electrical components correctly.

Good luck.