Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Seat Position Sensor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Zel
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat Position Sensor Swap

Here's how to change your seat position sensor. I was having intermittent seat belts and SRS lights on the tach and speedo and it persisted even after clearing the codes. Though sometimes clearing the code worked for a few minutes of driving then the lights would return. INPA told me it was the seat position sensor. I looked under the seat and could not see anything wrong with it but I ordered a replacement from ECS and set about throwing a little money at the problem. It turned out the sensors wire was broken and only held together by a slim bit of the wires jacket. They would occasionally touch and the warning lights would turn off.

Here's what I did:

What I used:

Seat Position Sensor Swap-echp2xd.jpg

Gloves (everything is sharp under a mini seat!), screwdrivers, T40 Star bit, Allen key (had to modify), hammer, pop-rivet gun, light

1. Disconnect the under seat wire connections and remove the 4 bolts holding down the seat. ***You may want to disconnect the battery before doing this operation.*** I choose not to disconnect the big yellow connector but to lean the seat back and carefully prop it to be sure not to pull that wire bundle.

Seat Position Sensor Swap-yljpmly.jpg

2. With the Seat leaning back against the back seats. Disconnect the electrical connector and cable restraint clip.

Close up of wire:
Seat Position Sensor Swap-lz74xdc.jpg
Seat Position Sensor Swap-p2yj0bu.jpg

3. Using Allen key unscrew the singe Allen screw holding the sensor to the rail. Do this from under the seat. Replace the faulty sensor at this point. This is tight work and best done while you are in position. ***TIP: I had to cut about 1/2" from my Allen key to fit on the screw behind the rail.
Seat Position Sensor Swap-gpnl89q.jpg
Seat Position Sensor Swap-k9oskun.jpg

4. The magnet is encased in plastic and has a flat rivet on the bottom with its securing nub in the seat rail. Next using flat screwdriver and hammer knock off the rivet nub securing the permanent magnet to the seat rail.

Seat Position Sensor Swap-snmr6la.jpg
Magnet
Seat Position Sensor Swap-hf8q5ga.jpg
Magnet position
Seat Position Sensor Swap-xdlvqc6.jpg

5. Clip the included new magnet to the rail in the same position as the old one and use your riveter to secure the magnet with the included rivet. The stem of my rivet didn't want to snap off so I had to use my rotary tool to cut it off.

Seat Position Sensor Swap-1cwwr61.jpg

6. Reattach the connectors, secure your seat back to the floor, and reconnect your battery if it was disconnected.

That's it nice and easy. Enjoy not having warning lights on because of a faulty sensor. I did not have to clear the code as the ECU recognized that the fault was gone and turned off the warning lamps.

Last edited by Zel; 01-22-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:11 PM
mini_aaron
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thx for the write up! I am having "Seat position sensor" faulty code(0093BF) after my recaro installed, Airbag light is still on because of that..
Even tho I cleared the actual "side airbag sensor" code(0093AC) with 3.3 ohm resistor and ISTA device.

Looks like I need to perform transplanting the seat position sensor to my recaro rail and plug the connection.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Nice write up the seat position sensor is right here: 52102752671

52102752671 R55 Clubaman / R56 Hardtop / R57 Convertible models

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/52102752671/

And the R60 Countryman Version Here: 52109802693

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/52109802693/

thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-01-2019, 02:29 AM
mufick
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. Need you advise. I have exactly the same problem as the topic-starter has. Computer also says the problem is in the seat position sensor. The only thing is my sensor wires are rubbed a bit, not as bad as TS has. But still those warning lights on my dash light up. Sometimes they got away when I touched that rubbed place on the wires. I tried to fix it because $50-$60 is a little bit too much for me. I've disconnected the sensor, isolated rubbed section and put it back. AND NOW the problem is that those 2 red warning lights on my dash don't turn off whatever I do. I thought that maybe I've broken one of those wires when isolating, dismounted sensor again, cut the wires in rubbed place and twisted the wires properly, isolated and put it back. Warning lights are still ON. What could be the problem? =(