Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Rear bumper light not working.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 06:17 AM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Rear bumper light not working.

2013 MCS R56/N18
My rear bumper lights are not working at all, not parking or reverse lights brakes etc. the ones on the left and right of the exhaust tips.
i have the little light bulb warning when i start the car. And triangle warning next to the odometer on the tach.
i pulled them and the elements in all 4 bulbs look fine but i can neither find the two bulb types nor read the numbers on them to get new ones. though one of the two types says Toshiba
anyone got any ideas or can tell me exactly which two little bulbs to get.
and if they dont work, then where do i go from there, from what i can see all other lights work.

Thanks all!

Last edited by cyberlunacy; 01-06-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:45 AM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
when in doubt keep searching.
$10 for a single standard bulb, and not even an LED! mini mania are outright thieves... https://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMX...t-Gen2-R56-r59

i found this https://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMX...t-Gen2-R56-r59 -via google not the forum search but its referencing LED bulbs not the factory bulbs. im not going LED on 4 little lights while the rest are bulbs.

and finally one bulb is https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...lbp2/5080130-p
Sylvania 2825... but its only single intensity and i am 100% there are two different bulbs in the rear fog's. standard (reverse) and dual mode bulb (parking/brake)
i think.
why is it i only start finding answers myself when i post something.. O_o

Old 01-06-2019, 01:24 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Well no joy they are NOT 2825 bulbs
one is a C906 and the other is a Toshiba W16W
mix matching bulbs nothing works
all i can find local is the C906
the toshiba is out there but it would be nice if i could find anything at all for what these lights should be
ugh

ok looks like the Toshiba is the stock bulb but i cant find anywhere if the brake/parking and backup bulbs are the same.
the brake/parking has to be a dual bulb, low and high output but the toshiba is not..there is only one filament in it. unless this is some sort of new fangled bulb here that the filament glows hotter with higher wattage put to it when you hit the brakes?
-----
maybe the Sylvania 921 ? i see that on some sites.

Last edited by cyberlunacy; 01-06-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I'm confused as to which bulbs you have issues with My rear bumper lights are not working

how about a picture (maybe with some arrows and labels)

sounds to me like you are looking at the rear fogs which are an option you may not have ..... did these work previously and STOPPED? Or is this a new buy for you and you assume something is wrong?????

Old 01-06-2019, 04:50 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Yes, I'm confused too!
These are the R56 bulbs:

Exterior
High/low beam (one bulb does both): H13 (9008)
Parking light (small bulb above fog light): 194
Front turn signal: 7505
Rear turn signal: 7505
Side scuttle signal: 194 (amber bulb)
Rear brake (2 bulbs per housing, 4 bulbs total): 7505
Fog lights: H8
Reverse: 921
Rear Fog: 921
License plate: 6418
Side markers (light behind fender reflectors): 194

Units either side of the exhaust are most likely rear fogs - red lenses - only work with (I think) side or front fogs on.
They take a 21watt single-filament white/clear bulb the same as the directionals - about $5 a pair from Wal*Mart or anywhere else.
Take about 30 seconds to change.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:03 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
they are officially known as rear fogs lights as i understand it.
yeah these are a p.i.t.a. lights to find correct bulbs on.
trying to upload a picture but it doesnt want to work. - yeah wow no images will work from the attachments.
and they are not Sylvania 921's either.
or, finally i have an issue, from what i can see fuses are ok.?

rear bumper fog lights

Last edited by cyberlunacy; 01-07-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:15 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
I'm confused as to which bulbs you have issues with My rear bumper lights are not working

how about a picture (maybe with some arrows and labels)

sounds to me like you are looking at the rear fogs which are an option you may not have ..... did these work previously and STOPPED? Or is this a new buy for you and you assume something is wrong?????
Capt - i have the light bulb warning when i start the car and a constant trangle warning by the odometer. - i almost assume the triangle warning is a service warning based on mileage but i dont know.
this guy shows the light bulb error
but my front parking lights above the fog's are fine.
my rear lights had bulbs in them, god knows where those bulbs come from, but the Toshiba W16W IS the actual stock BMW/Mini bulb.
so in looking the Sylvania 921 is the alternate. 12v 18w

Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Yes, I think that's correct - 921 bulb. Any parts store has them.
All 4 are the same, 2 reverse, 2 rear fog.

If you have a dashboard switch for the rear fogs, you have rear fogs! If you don't have a switch, apparently you get the lights, bulbs & wiring anyway but they won't light up.
You can replace the switch panel for one with the additional switch (& may need a MINI dealer to program the fog option). These only work with the sidelights & ignition on.

Reverse lights work with the ignition on & the car in reverse gear.

The bulb warning checks all the external bulbs - all of them, including the license plate & side markers.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:15 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MVPeters
Yes, I think that's correct - 921 bulb. Any parts store has them.
All 4 are the same, 2 reverse, 2 rear fog.

If you have a dashboard switch for the rear fogs, you have rear fogs! If you don't have a switch, apparently you get the lights, bulbs & wiring anyway but they won't light up.
You can replace the switch panel for one with the additional switch (& may need a MINI dealer to program the fog option). These only work with the sidelights & ignition on.

Reverse lights work with the ignition on & the car in reverse gear.

The bulb warning checks all the external bulbs - all of them, including the license plate & side markers.
you sir hit the nail on the head! except no other light is out, all lights work but i will have to have the wife sit in the car or something so i can check them all again.
i do not have the rear fog switch only front fog. (i mean who calls them rear fog, fog or not if your main tail lights aint enough these aint helping.)
never saw anything anywhere that said you had to have the switch, everything i saw made it out to be part of the normal light system.
seems pretty odd to even include them as useless lights.
will have to see about some rear fog delete inserts or something.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:35 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
MINI include a lot of optional stuff - it just has to be programmed = $$$$$$ by the dealer. My 17-yr old R53 runs the bulb check (programmed ON) but there's nowhere on my basic dashboard to display any results!
Personally, I think rear fogs are a valuable safety feature - only for use in fog, snow or heavy rain - standard on Euro cars. I'd get the switch panel, & programming if needed, if it were me.
Another option is to connect them to the brake lights, as additional ones. Simple & cheap enough to do.
I wouldn't delete them as they act as reflectors as they are - another safety feature.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:29 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
well it looks like the license plate bulbs are out in the back! wow, what a hunt, cant believe my eyes missed those lights on the hatch itself.
will grab them tomorrow and see what happens.