Electrical LED Flickering/Carly App

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Voltematron
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LED Flickering/Carly App

Wanted to drop this info in case anyone was interested or was having a similar issue.

Have had LED lights installed in my PMS since purchase, have experienced flickering and system canbus nag.

Anyway onto my point, once I installed and used the Carly app to disable the system monitor for lights in the car, not only did the canbus alerts stop but the LED Flickering did as well.

My theory is that the system monitor, in checking to make sure the lights are actually working, causes flickering in LED lights, or at least that's what happened with my car anyway. Hope this info helps, I'd tried everything to stop the flickering (different lights, error adapters, etc) and this just sortve happened.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:10 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
The canbus system sends a quick burst of voltage to the bulbs, and checks for continuity in the circuit. This is how it checks for bulbs being burned out. An led bulb will illuminate with a lower voltage than a regular bulb, this is why you see the flicker from replacement led bulbs. The voltage and current coming back from the bulb check is different with an led bulb, too. That is why the bulbs will still work, but you’ll get a bulb out warning.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:43 AM
Voltematron
1st Gear
Makes sense and definitely a good breakdown, thanks for that equally important bit of info. Glad it wasn't just a fluke on my part or something up with my car. The flickering was certainly a pain so hopefully this helps another on their quest for better lighting

Old 04-06-2018, 06:58 AM
S-2013
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Used Carly when I replaced my reverse bulbs with LED's. Before, they would flicker every few seconds when starting the car.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:13 AM
Voltematron
1st Gear
That was my issue exactly

I'd swapped out lowbeams, highbeams, fog lights, reverse lights, blinker bulbs and all interior lights, as well as swapping both door lights for MINI logo projector.

Prior to downloading and using Carly, I'd notice upon start that my side markers, lowbeams, fogs, and reverse lights would all flicker for at least 10-15 seconds after startup then stop. Once the car remained on for a bit I'd occasionally see the reverse lights or sidemarker lights flicker once every few minutes or so (I sometimes will leave my car running and take the key out of the fob with me to lock the door, would notice once I was out of the car). The fog lights would also continue to flicker intermittently unless I turned them on at start up.

Once I'd gotten into the lighting menu for coding in Carly, I shut of voltage monitoring for all lights individually. Immediately after doing so flickering stopped in my vehicle. No more embarrassing startups or janky lighting. My car feels a lot more premium now, a long way since driving off the lot with those God awful yellow factory bulbs

Old 02-09-2021, 02:51 PM
jiggersplat
2nd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Do you guys happen to know what the correct setting to disable the bulb checks is in ncs expert / ncs dummy?