Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical swapping grey controls for black

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 06:34 AM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
swapping grey controls for black

Friends,

I'm going to be adding an Alpine iLX-107 to my R56 and swapping out the gauge faces while I'm in there. I'd like to get rid of the grey controls for my AC and switch panel while I'm at it. Do you know a source for black controls?

- Keith

Old 05-10-2018, 09:55 AM
carpecervisi
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Came across this thread and was hoping for some responses. I'm coming from a 2012 MCSr with all black controls to a 2009 JCWc and can't stand the gray. I guess salvage yards and part outs are the way to go. Any coding issues to be aware of?

Old 06-10-2018, 03:56 AM
cee3peo
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 2010 R56 with the less-than-preferred grey AC controls. On eBay, I bought a black unit from a 2011 that has up/down rockers for blower adjustment rather than those silly round controls. I definitely prefer the look and it fit perfectly. However, when I plugged everything in, all controls are responsive and the lights work, but there is no air blowing on any setting. Seems like there is a missing software control. I would love to find what the issue is.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Mr. Klean
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
CEE3PEO,

I did the same thing with my '07 MCS (did the full JCW interior and exterior conversion) and the a/c will not blow. I plugged my old grey one back in and everything worked fine. On the black unit, everything lights up and everything, but the blower doesn't blow.

I posted in this same subsection (post says "HELP! Did retrofit......(in Florida!)" and was told it was a coding issue. I guess now I just need to figure out how to change the coding??

If there are any gurus in here, please chime in...

Old 06-21-2018, 10:46 AM
carpecervisi
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I recently swapped my 09 R56 JCW controls out for the black LCI ones and have had no issues.

I made sure to get the exact same toggles too, but that shouldn’t be an issue since the AC and window/fog controls are completely separate.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Mr. Klean
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by carpecervisi
I recently swapped my 09 R56 JCW controls out for the black LCI ones and have had no issues.

I made sure to get the exact same toggles too, but that shouldn’t be an issue since the AC and window/fog controls are completely separate.
My main concern was the USB working because my car never had that- just the AUX; the A/C not working was a monkey wrench I didn't expect. My window switches, door locks, etc all work. Like I said, though, the guy on the other thread said it was a coding issue. Hopefully someone will explain to me how to go about solving that. . .

Old 06-21-2018, 04:43 PM
cee3peo
1st Gear
Everything works after swapping out my 2010 Silver controls with 2011 black controls except for the AC. The lights work and the buttons change the AC settings (i.e. Temp and Vent selection) but the Blower never turns on.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:44 PM
cee3peo
1st Gear
I went to my local dealer (Mini of Kennesaw GA) and their lead Service Tech (Erik) tried connecting to the OBDII interface and updating the HVAC control module. For some reason, it wouldn't let him. He said he only has access to the base software that Mini provides. I paid $99 for this "try". At parting, he said there might be something with the "Final Stage" and he was going to check with Parts on this.

I need to find out if there is a way we can program through the OBDII interface ourselves. I really would like to get the Black controls working. Again, every button and control works. Just the blowers never actuate and start blowing.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:23 AM
cee3peo
1st Gear
Update as of yesterday. I got tired of waiting for a software update to become available so...

I ended up completely disassembling both the old and the new center consoles. Everything, buttons, controls, ect all snapped together on top of my old center console (transforming it to all black, with silver rocker switches and silver digital display trim ring) so I now have all black controls with the older circuitry behind it. All the controls...including HVAC now work.

The following 2 users liked this post by cee3peo:
bowmankelley (01-01-2024), Mr. Klean (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 07:04 AM
Mr. Klean
2nd Gear
I did the exact same thing back in July...I guess I have less patience than you lol. Came out beautifully!

Originally Posted by cee3peo
Update as of yesterday. I got tired of waiting for a software update to become available so...

I ended up completely disassembling both the old and the new center consoles. Everything, buttons, controls, ect all snapped together on top of my old center console (transforming it to all black, with silver rocker switches and silver digital display trim ring) so I now have all black controls with the older circuitry behind it. All the controls...including HVAC now work.