Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Interior lights and rear hatch not functioning

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:53 PM
sode
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior lights and rear hatch not functioning

I have an 03 R53. Yesterday I was replacing my dome light bulb with an LED bulb and it sparked as I was putting it in (door was open). After I got the bulb seated properly I noticed it was turning on and that the footwell lights were also not on. The trunk light is on and working. The fuse(F14 for interior courtesy lights) was blown so I replaced it with a good fuse but still not working. I used a multi meter to check continuity on all the fuses to be sure and they all show continuity. I then used my multi meter to check for voltage at the fuse and am getting 0V at fuse 14 or at the footlights/dome light bulb. The switch in the dome light to turn the lights on and off functions to turn the trunk light on and off.

Coincidentally at the same time the hatch no longer opens. Jumping the switch does not open the hatch lock which leads me to believe that the lock actuator is not receiving power. I've removed the motor inside the lock mechanism and verified that applying 12v power does operate the switch.

I've been using the wiring diagrams from here:

http://wtxmc.org/MiniCooperDocs/WIRING.pdf

(pages 80 and 100)

But I can't make any head way. Any thoughts on what to do next?

Thanks for your help in advance

Last edited by sode; 02-01-2018 at 09:55 PM. Reason: added car information
Old 07-22-2019, 12:51 AM
sode
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I went through reading many different threads, worrying that the BCM was toast, taking apart pretty much most of the interior to follow the wiring for a break and the cause was the dumbest thing (fuse holder). I came back to post in case this can be helpful to others that may encounter this in the future. I made a video showing the issue and also how I fixed it. Hope it helps someone else!