Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Those w/ PIAA rally lights...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:02 PM
rosaymaan
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Those w/ PIAA rally lights...

Can you please do me a favor and check something for me. I've followed the instructions to a T and have tapped the green/yellow high beam wire. This means the rally lights can only be turned on when my high beams are on (which is how i want it). However, there are two strange things happening that i want to confirm is normal or not...

1. When my headlights (low beams) are off, the PIAA switch has power and is green when the rally lights are off (armed). When I turn the rally lights on (w/headlights off still) the button turns red, but the rally lights remain off bc the high-beams are not on. HOWEVER, when I do this, there is a loud buzzing sound coming from the PIAA relay in the engine compartment. I just want to check that that is normal (and also perhaps why that happens?).

2. Now, when I turn the headlights on (position 2), the PIAA switch no longer has power (not green or red when depressed). The switch only seems to have power when I go ahead and turn the brights on. When the brights are on, the switch is working properly with green for 'armed' and red for 'on'. Is this normal?

So basically, with my headlights on, i can't tell if the PIAAs are armed or not... which can't be right can it? It's only in the headlights 'off' position that i can tell if the PIAA switch is armed or not which doesn't make sense...

Any ideas? I tried a different ground position too btw, to see if it was a bad ground... and same behavior.

If this is not how yours work, can those of you who've connected to the yellow/green wire please describe how the switch should be working when headlights are in off/on positions?

-Matt

Old 08-30-2014, 04:27 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Umm, that is not right. I think it should be red on low beams. Watching this thread closely, I don't have an answer for you but I am just about to add a second PIAA and rewire.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:25 PM
rosaymaan
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
nobody? cmone i know there are tons of folks with this setup...

RockAZ - it shouldn't ever be red unless the high beams are switched on. my question why isn't it green (armed).... when i first turn on the headlights, the switch does flicker a bit, but then goes dead. I've tried EVERYTHING to figure out why the switch doesn't have power when the headlights are on...

The buzzing is also worrisome as its LOUD - just want to make sure that's normal.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:41 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
A buzzing relay is NOT normal. Not sure what the issue is, but it shouldn't do that.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:57 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Late night, yes, I meant green for enabled on low beams. Buzzing is bad.