Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical HID Retrofit SUCCESS -- 2012 Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM
oreo_guy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Retrofit SUCCESS -- 2012 Cooper S

All,

I thought I'd post the following information to assist anyone else with upgrading their halogen lights to HIDs.

The following information allowed a SUCCESSFUL upgrade to HIDs with full functionality of Low Beam / High Beam, no Bulb Errors, no flickering. The final result is OEM functionality. Keep in mind, this does not factor in Daytime Running Light (DRL) functions, since I do not use it anyway.

Setup Information:
1. Model: R56 Hatchback, S version.
2. Year: 2012.
3. HID Upgrade kit: purchased through Black Flame Customs - http://blackflamecustoms.com/
4. NCS Modifications: see my thread here in NCS Expert in post #282: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3503571

This project took about 2 months to finally conclude with no issues.

These HIDs are insane and produce light like crazy!!!

What I would've done differently: For those without NCS Expert, I am willing to bet that there will be no errors. I did not have the opportunity to try this, since I had borrowed an OBDII adapter from my friend cmcveay and returned it to him prior to testing the lights.

In order to make this thread more beneficial, if anyone has had success with the same setup but did not modify the Bulb Out Codes, please inform us.

If you have any questions related to this installation upgrade, please do not hesitate to PM me, since I appreciate the assistance others have provided to me.

Note: Black Flame Customs provided outstanding customer support from start to finish. The quality of the craftsmanship is evident in the pictures!!! Thanks JB!!!

Last edited by oreo_guy; 06-11-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Performance Auto Solutions
Former Vendor
Glad you're happy Ed!! They look great on the car!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got mine working with a custom $50 harness made by TheRetrofitSource.com

If you call them and ask for Matt he is the one who made the harness for me.

Tell him that he had one made for a 2011 MCS because the standard CAN-BUS harness was giving bulb out warnings and making the low beams flicker. The harness he mad for me draws power from the battery and includes a capacitor to prevent the headlights from flickering when the car checks the bulbs upon startup.

To prevent bulb out warnings, the harness includes a pair of load resistors that I just screwed to my frame. The harness works flawlessly, draws power from the battery instead of frying the stock harness.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:27 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can you open the back of the housing where you change the bulb at and take a pic? I Have the same projectors and shrouds in my car but seemed to have less room. I suspect their either cut more than I did or used the smaller projector (I used the D2S (slightly bigger).

Looks great. I did mine and did nothing with NCS as I don;'t have the cable yet and no bulb-out errors for over a year now.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:31 PM
oreo_guy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
Can you open the back of the housing where you change the bulb at and take a pic? I Have the same projectors and shrouds in my car but seemed to have less room. I suspect their either cut more than I did or used the smaller projector (I used the D2S (slightly bigger).

Looks great. I did mine and did nothing with NCS as I don;'t have the cable yet and no bulb-out errors for over a year now.
yetti,

I apologize for not replying to you sooner. My subscription was probably deleted when I had this thread moved from another section.

In any case, I will take a picture per your request and post it by the end of this week, since I'm on business this whole week. I'm not a guru on the naming conventions of the parts involved, but if you email the vendor above who prepared my bulbs, he'll be able to tell you the relays that were used.

I love this installation, since everything is contained in the housing and is a complete Plug-N-Play. There is no special or separate wiring leading from the lights to the battery. This system is exactly setup like OEM.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:48 PM
oreo_guy
1st Gear
yetti:

Here are the pics you requested, and let me know if you need some more. Sorry for the delay.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM
mamut
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you take a pic against a wall so I can see the cutoff from the projectors?