Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical hella 500 install/ wiring...

Old 01-03-2012, 06:04 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hella 500 install/ wiring...

ok...i have searched every forum and google for how to's on this and havent found one that is super clear.. i did find one for a toyota truck i think that kind of made sense... but does anyone know of or have step by step for installing the hella 500 driving lights... i am not good with wiring things and dont want to screw anything up... i am good at everything else that i do with my car but electrical things....ehhh not so much... i will be attempting this in the next week or so. hopefully someone can point me in the right direction... i want to wire them so i can turn them on separate the high beams... yes i know people dont agree with this, but i live in a small town with A LOT of country roads near me so i can use it out there and on back roads.. some one please point me in the right direction! thanks!!!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Bodhiavo
1st Gear
From the Wiring Harness:
-Black goes to the lights
-Red goes to the Positive terminal on the battery
-Blue Goes to ground, some random nut on the chassis
-Yellow goes to the switch you'll be installing in the cabin

From the Switch:
-Yellow from the harness
-Blue wire you can tap into any ground wire behind dash or cup holders (usually the thickest brown wire you can find in a bundle of wires)
-Green will run to any 12volt source. this is typically tapped into the yellow/blue wire (high beams) but if you want it separate, you can tap it to the positive terminal on the battery, or any other 12 v source if you have a multimeter.

From Lights:
-Gray wire goes to the black from the harness
-Blue goes to ground on the chassis
Extra tips:
-for removing the wipers: lift the blades up, then toggle them back and forth as you pull the arms forward. (after you have unscrewed the nut keeping it on of course)
-passing through firewall: after removing wipers, take off covers, remove cap covering the grommet (has 3 clips), cut the tip off one of the nubs sticking off the rubber grommet and fish wires through and they'll fall down under the driver's side dash.

The whole install took me about 6 hours just because I spent a lot of timemaking sure I was connecting everything to where it should and I didn't want to make a lot of unnecessary holes.

Hope this helps....Cheers

Old 01-03-2012, 09:15 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
If you wire your driving lights so they will be on without the high beams you will have to manually turn off the driving lights every time you meet oncoming traffic. If you really want to do it that way all you have to do is take the high beam circuit out of the equation. You can do this by wiring position 2 on the Hella switch directly to one of the parking lights. This way power from the parking lights will be used to trigger the relay that actually turns on the driving lights. If you do this the driving lights will come on any time you put the switch in the ON position and the headlights are on (regardless of whether you are using the high or low beams).

Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 AM
minimike21
5th Gear
hmmm that makes some sense...

Old 01-04-2012, 12:39 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Yep, if you pull your trigger voltage from the parking lights it will prevent your driving lights from being on even when all the other lights are off. Otherwise, you run the risk of inadvertently leaving your driving lights on when you leave the car (and draining the battery). Your best source for 12v is the fuse box under the hood. There is also a grounding point under the fuse box to ground the lights.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
hey thanks for the info! i think im just over thinking this...

Old 01-04-2012, 01:16 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Its easier than you think man, good luck.
I had a link to a how to from this forum but it doesnt seem to be opening. I used it for my install and it worked fine. This is it but nothing comes up
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tallation.html
I think I found it in the how to's.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
Originally Posted by automan21
Its easier than you think man, good luck.
i hope it is!!!