Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical How To: Disable Xenon DRL and Enable Upper Fog DRL

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:18 PM
volksfragen
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How To: Disable Xenon DRL and Enable Upper Fog DRL

I was messing around with programming with my R56 Mini today and found out how to disable the Xenon lights as Daytime Running Lights and Enable the Front Fog Running Lights (The lights in the upper part of the Fog Light housing) to act as the Daytime Running Lights. In doing this, I also found that you can activate the Licence Plate Lights, or Brake Lights to turn on with the DRL function as well.

This should work with all R56's with Xenon, regardless of the Rain Sensing/Auto Headlight Option.

The reason I looked into doing this, is the Law in Canada (Alberta specifically) states that all vehicles after something like 1997 need to have Daytime Running Lights. I did not want the Xenon Ballasts/Lamps striking everytime I ran the vehicle, but still needed to have lights on the front of my car.

All of this work will be done using NCS Expert and all coding will be done in the FRM Module.

In the instructions, Red text is the option to be edited, Blue text is the default/old value, and Green text is the new value to be changed to.

1- Open NCS Expert, Put vehicle into Ignition, and Read the FRM Module

2- Open the FSW_PSW.TRC file using Notepad

3- There are 6 Options we need to change to do this. I will describe the option, and what the old variable is, and what to change the new variable to.

4- Search for "VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL". This option selects what the behavior is for the DRL operation.

- Change the value for "VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL" from "drl_l" to "drl_s". drl_l is the option for DRL_LOWBEAMS, and drl_s is the option for DRL_SELECTIVE

5- Search for "DRL_TFL_SML". This option is to toggle the Upper Fog Lights for DRL function.

- Change the value for "DRL_TFL_SML" from "nicht_active" to "active"

6- Search for "DRL_TFL_KZL". This option is to toggle the Licence Plate Lights for DRL function. I do not want them on with DRL's, so this step is to disable them.

- Change the value for "DRL_TFL_KZL" from "active" to "nicht_active"

7- Search for "DRL_TFL_RL_BL_2". This option is to toggle the Side Marker Lights at Running Light Level, for DRL function. I do not want them on with DRL's, so this step is to disable them.

- Change the value for "DRL_TFL_RL_BL_2" from "active" to "nicht_active"

8- Search for "DRL_TFL_RL_BL_1". This option is to toggle the Lower Brake Lights at Running Light Level, for DRL function. I do not want them on with DRL's, so this step is to disable them.

- Change the value for "DRL_TFL_RL_BL_1" from "active" to "nicht_active"

9- Search for "DRL_TFL_RL_BL". This option is to toggle the Brake Lights at Running Light Level, for DRL function. I do not want them on with DRL's, so this step is to disable them.

- Change the value for "DRL_TFL_RL_BL" from "active" to "nicht_active"

10- Save file as FSW_PSW.MAN in the NCS Work Folder.

11- Write the FSW_PSW.MAN file to the FRM Module.

12- Turn vehicle off and back on into Ignition, and your Upper Fog Lights should now be your DRL's!

Post any questions you have.

Last edited by volksfragen; 11-28-2011 at 08:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aabcds (07-08-2020)
Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes those front lights above fog bulbs (if equipped) are the city lights. I updated the spreadsheet last week with those commands.

DRL_TFL_RL_BL_2 is the side marker lights.
DRL_TFL_RL_BL_1 is the lower bright brake light.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:33 PM
volksfragen
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.

I'll update that

Old 09-22-2012, 06:36 AM
haagenPT
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I saw this thread one of these days and I am wondering that its any chance to activate FOG Lights as DRL and not the Lowbeams.

Lowbeams can't work as DRL, but fog lights has the right luminance for that. its kinda strange that this option of DRL its for low beams.

thanks.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:01 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm searching for the opposite:

I want the low beams as DRL but with front running lights off.

When coding VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL to drl_l, low beams and front running lights are on at the same time.

Moving VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL to drl_s, I could turn off front running lights (DRL_TFL_MIT_SML_3R = off) but there is not option to activate low beams.

Is there a way to get this done?

Last edited by miniuy; 09-03-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:17 PM
jiggersplat
2nd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I am trying to set uppper fogs as DRL. I've swapped in the halo LED (aftermaket) lights and I just get disco lights when I turn the ignition on and they stop and turn off. Is there some bulb check I need to disable?