Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical OEM Heated Seat Switches to Activate Fog/Driving Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 AM
RGR50MC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Heated Seat Switches to Activate Fog/Driving Lights?

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I have a set of Hella 500FF fog lights that I plan to install on OutMotoring lower grill light brackets, but don't want to tie the fogs into the factory fogs, I'd like to have a dedicated switch.

My first plan was to get an OEM toggle switch bank and use the DSC toggle and the rear fog toggle (only available in UK, so it'd be a bit tricky to track down this toggle switch bank; my MINI only has 4 toggle switches with 2 blank spots), wiring them into the factory wiring harness (after finding out which pins control each switch). Would be incredibly clean and very factory looking. Then I found out they use PC boards and from what I've searched, it's not possible or is incredibly difficult.

That got me to thinking of other places to put them. My newest idea is purchasing the switch panel for the side mirrors and heated seat switches, because my MINI doesn't have heated seats. I figured I'd be able to wire up one of the heated seat switches to work with aftermarket fog lights, and the other to work with aftermarket driving lights.

Problem is, it doesn't seem like anyone else has done this. Is it because I am not understanding the wiring of those switches? Or does everyone on here have heated seats? Or just no one else has thought of it before?

If you know about the heated seat switch module, I'd really appreciate some input on whether this is possible or not. I'm fairly confident that I'd even be able to solder into the PC circuit board for the toggle switch bank, but those seem to be more expensive.

My last resort is to get the Euro Parcel Shelf and just install basic rocker switches into that. I think it'd be a little hidden, but I wouldn't have to destroy the factory trim.

Last edited by RGR50MC; 06-28-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Several options for you. The easiest would be to mount a switch in an '05+ console. (Not sure what year yours is.) I don't know if the heater switches would work, but they aren't a cheap option anyway. You can definitely find toggle banks with more switches, but you can also drill out your bank and add a switch. Then you'd need a version of Ian Cull's auto up (see FES Auto) that utilizes the switch bank for a custom switch. It's not super simple as the bank just sends a temporary signal, but I think the latest versions have circuitry which mimick a switch.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 AM
RGR50MC
1st Gear
It's a 2006 MC, so I already have the blank plate to the left of the ebrake where the factory driving light switch goes. I just would rather use the toggle bank and fill up all of those switch spots, instead of putting a switch elsewhere. That way, the switches for both aftermarket driving and fog lights are right next to each other. Looking for a clean install is the primary goal.

And as far as the heated seat switches, I found several places that have the switch bank (used) for around $50, so the cost isn't that bad in my opinion. I was planning on getting the Ian Cull auto up module at some point, but if I'm able to understand how it works then it should be easier to get to work than the heated seat switches.

What is the purpose of adding the Ian Cull Auto Up for a custom switch? If I don't have the DSC/ASC does the Ian Cull circuit just allow functionality of the switch for the DSC/ASC stock switch? I guess I need to pull the toggle bank and see the wiring for it to get a better idea of how things work. Perhaps just order the Ian Cull Auto Up module sooner than expected and throw it on the bench to tinker with it.

It looks like the Ian Cull auto up circuit has test point pins for all of the switches on the back side of the circuit. So after installing it, I'd be able to connect the wires for the aftermarket light relays and then when I toggle the switches they will function?

Old 06-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
If you look on the FES site, they refer to "Stealth Mode Accessory Control" - I assume these can be programmed to use on any toggle (my older circuit uses the lock toggle to trigger my garage door opener) but you'd have to confirm that with them.
I believe all the traces exist on the toggle panel, so if you add the toggles (drill hole in panel, add toggle and actuators), it will send a signal to the Ian circuit which can then control a switch. That way you get auto up windows AND OEM style switches for your lights.
There are pics on NAM somewhere of a disassembled toggle panel if you don't want to pull yours apart. The toggles press against white inserts that in turn press on an elastomeric pad which sends a signal to the BCM.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:26 PM
RGR50MC
1st Gear
Wow, I completely missed that option before when looking at the Ian Cull circuit, thanks!

I just emailed FES and asked them if it were possible to hijack those extra two switch spots and use the stealth modes to control them. Hopefully I'll hear back from them and hopefully it's good news!

Old 07-20-2011, 06:41 PM
RGR50MC
1st Gear
A quick update:

Well I bought a toggle switch bank from a guy here on NAM, received it and had time to open it up tonight to look at the circuit board and harvest my dummy switches. After a little work with a multimeter, I came up with the wiring pinouts on the back of the toggle switch bank. This gives me the pins on the wire harness that I can wire to to take advantage of the switch, bypassing the factory wiring harness and the controller that needs to have switches "activated" by the dealer. Or so I believe, my next step is to pull the toggle switch bank from my MINI and look at the wire harness that plugs into the back of it to see if my plan of attack is possible.

My current plan is to wire up a small circuit to attach to the pins for the two toggle switches I want to utilize.

Now, my question is if I remove the wires (assuming there are wires in the wiring harness) that go to the pins for the currently inactive switches, will I create any problems with the OBC or trigger any SES/CEL lights? If not, then I should be able to easily add relays to that new circuit and use the toggle switches for anything I desire, mainly being Driving Lights (DSC switch spot) and a set of aftermarket front fogs (Rear Fog light switch spot).

Though I may actually use the rear fog switch spot for either a rear fog light (and wire aftermarket fogs to the factory fogs) like its intended purpose, or leave it blank for something else in the future, not that anything is coming to mind right now.